Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:44 PM
33jacket
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 C4 Front Differential Leak Question

Yes i did a forum search but I could find these specific answers

I just changed out the fluid...noticed the leak after

If I remove the splines on the drivers side and pull the seal (where the leak is) do I have to remove the new fluid to do this? Ugh if so

I want to leave the differential in...so if I unbolt the six bolts from the drive shaft...slide the drive shaft back (i am changing the shocks and springs now so I can do this); will i have room to pull out the splines, remove the seal, and put in a new seal??? How tight is that fit do I need to hammer it in?

Any advice here? Now is the time I can do this since the suspension is out....Just need any tricks as well if you know of any

thanks
Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 PM
rb101
Racer

You can't just undo the 6 bolts at the flange and drop the half shafts. You need to break the lower ball joint loose to get enough space to get the cv joint out of the stub. Once the cv joint it out, you can pry out each stub (it's just held in with a snap ring) and replace the seals. There should be very little oil leakage when changing output seals. Since you are changing struts, this is the perfect time to replace the seals. That is when I replaced mine.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:13 AM
33jacket
Advanced

Originally Posted by rb101
You can't just undo the 6 bolts at the flange and drop the half shafts. You need to break the lower ball joint loose to get enough space to get the cv joint out of the stub. Once the cv joint it out, you can pry out each stub (it's just held in with a snap ring) and replace the seals. There should be very little oil leakage when changing output seals. Since you are changing struts, this is the perfect time to replace the seals. That is when I replaced mine.
yes i know, but above I mention my springs and shocks are out so I have slack to move the drive shafts out around 6-7 inches giving me what I assume is enough room to pry out the spline shafts....i undid the drop links and with the struts/spring out i can drop the wheel carrier down to give me this slack....

My question is, the seals are tight....so is there enough room to put and pound/push the new seals in without having to drop the differential????

Is there a tool I can use to push them in?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 PM
rb101
Racer

There is plenty of room. I replaced mine with diff in the car.

Quick Reply: 2002 C4 Front Differential Leak Question