Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does this indicate it was painted? And should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:11 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does this indicate it was painted? And should I buy it?

I found a car that drives well and has a great spec (for me), but cosmetic issues that suggest it was not cared for - or worse. For instance, in the photo, the dark lines near the top of the door (near the top of the triangle that the mirrors attach to). (Yes, the photo is upside down. Sorry - don't know how it got that way (I wasn't upside down when I took the photo), and don't know how to fix it :- (

I assume this means the A pillars was (poorly) repainted. Both pillars, because there is a similar, though less pronounced stain on the passenger side. Which implies the C pillars and the rear fenders were also repainted. Or could it be the rubber window seals simply stained the beige material? (Though if that's what happened, is it normal/why would it happen?)
Attached Images  

Last edited by rs10; 07-05-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:23 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Default Also how about the faded/stained rubber seals

Then there are also white-ish discoloration on the rubber seal for the driver's door on the B pillar, and to a lesser extent, on some other rubber seals, for instance in this picture (of the passenger door hinge/arm). You can see the pronounced white stripes that runs from top to bottom of the black rubber (well, from right to left, the way the picture is displayed). As in other locations, the edge of the rubber is still black, but some other parts are not. On the B pillar, this discoloration extends from top to bottom, but isn't on the right or left edge.

Has the rubber dried out? Been damaged by salt? (The car has spent most of it's life in a beach town.) Or is this another indication of a repaint/spray?
Attached Images  

Last edited by rs10; 07-05-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

There are two other issues in the above photo. The screw or bolt head in the center is awfully white. I think the camera (a smart phone) actually exaggerates this - when I saw the car, it just looked dirty. Indeed, while the discoloration of the rubber seal definitely is white-ish, the metal that looks white may actually be grey. But now I'm wondering if many of the hidden metal parts look like this, and if so, if that is a problem.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

The second issue is that the metal bracket held by the screw is loose. It slides a bit right and left (or as the photo is oriented, up and down). I assume it shouldn't be. And I assume this is why, when the passenger door is opened, it's fine - until you get to the last 10% of movement, when it feels loose and seems to drop a bit. Of course, if I just need to replace the screw and/or bracket, I don't care. But perhaps there is some worse problem here? And how would it get this way in the first place?
Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

P.S. Yes, before buying I would have an inspection done. Though I'm not sure how good a Porsche dealer (that's the local option) would be about detecting body work, since they probably don't do it themselves. And of course, if the above means I don't want the car, I'd rather stop now rather than pay for a full inspection, including looking inside the engine, etc.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If I understand what you are talking about in the first pic (the line on the leather bit that surrounds the mirror control?), that wouldn't have anything to do with repainting. The windows would have been up for that (unless it was a horrifically bad job ). We have black leather so I can't speak to if this is normal as I wouldn't see it

For the second pic, that just looks like water staining and I would expect it would wipe away with a wet sponge. The only area in the frunk that is sealed is the storage compartment itself. Everything else is open to the elements so that shouldn't be a red flag (just says the PO wasn't a super **** detailer ).

Edit: I now realize that the second pic is the door hinge. That area is also open to the elements so it's still not something to worry about.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 PM
rb101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have savannah interior with black paint. My car has the same lines from rubbing on the paint and seals.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:27 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gnat
For the second pic, that just looks like water staining and I would expect it would wipe away with a wet sponge.
Thanks for the helpful post. So if I understand (and guess) correctly, the white film/discoloration on the black rubber seals could even be from washing the car with hard water. (And if so, it presumably is temporary.) Make sense?
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rb101
I have savannah interior with black paint. My car has the same lines from rubbing on the paint and seals.
Thanks for another very helpful post! And an encouraging one, as a prospective owner of this car.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Thanks for the helpful post. So if I understand (and guess) correctly, the white film/discoloration on the black rubber seals could even be from washing the car with hard water. (And if so, it presumably is temporary.) Make sense?
I'd have to see a pic, but that would be my first guess and if so it should clean up (though you might need some seal conditioner).

Last edited by gnat; 07-06-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:25 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

the second pic looks like its from water or soap, like gnat said PO wasn't **** detailer and didn't wipe the door area after washing the car.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:37 PM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

There are two other issues in the above photo. The screw or bolt head in the center is awfully white. I think the camera (a smart phone) actually exaggerates this - when I saw the car, it just looked dirty. Indeed, while the discoloration of the rubber seal definitely is white-ish, the metal that looks white may actually be grey. But now I'm wondering if many of the hidden metal parts look like this, and if so, if that is a problem.
This is just the door stop-- it prevents the door from opening too far and hitting the front bodywork.

Is the screw loose? If so it can just be tightened unless the threads are stripped or seized.

But you say the door "drops" a bit. Do you mean it moves toward the ground? If so that would imply a problem with the hinges. If you mean the door just opens a bit more then it is just this loose fitting.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:39 PM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

The second issue is that the metal bracket held by the screw is loose. It slides a bit right and left (or as the photo is oriented, up and down). I assume it shouldn't be. And I assume this is why, when the passenger door is opened, it's fine - until you get to the last 10% of movement, when it feels loose and seems to drop a bit. Of course, if I just need to replace the screw and/or bracket, I don't care. But perhaps there is some worse problem here? And how would it get this way in the first place?
This is just the door stop-- it prevents the door from opening too far and hitting the front bodywork.

Is the screw loose? If so it can just be tightened unless the threads are stripped or seized.

But you say the door "drops" a bit. Do you mean it moves toward the ground? If so that would imply a problem with the hinges. If you mean the door just opens a bit more then it is just this loose fitting.

Sorry about the double post-- I can't find the delete button for the first one.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The white lines can be hard water, salt, wax. It could be anything.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ck986
The white lines can be hard water, salt, wax. It could be anything.
Agreed

The Porsche dealer will be a certified expert in Porsches. Ask lots of questions till you are satisfied.

Quick Reply: Does this indicate it was painted? And should I buy it?