996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Air vent debris

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine's a 997 '05 but it started doing that a couple years ago. I keep a tweezer in the glove box to pluck the pieces stuck behind the vent louvers. Over time it has gotten less, to the point it rarely happens now. I have not noticed any effect on the system's performance, although I too am in the tropics so I'm running the A/C about 300 days/yr, and the heat very very rarely.

The only thing I notice is in certain combinations of ambient heat and humidity, I get patches of fogging on the outside of the windshield from cold air leaking through the defroster outlets, so at least with the 997 there is more than just a main heat/AC flap involved. I'm not sure what a DIY would entail on mine, but I was quoted several thousand $ to repair everything. Plus the dash would have to be r/r, and from my experience that usually results in squeaks. So I prefer to live with it as-is.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Those are attached by some screws. Part 5 here. Looks like the levers come with the actuator and they are not available separately. Maybe the screws fell off.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=813-05

Originally Posted by medent
I thought that the "always on hot" issue I had was due to the foam being lost from the flap. But I have since found out that it was because the hot/cold arm from the servo had fallen out where it contacts the lower tab of the flap.
Here are a couple of photos of the arm. One with the piece attached, the other separated. I have also attached a couple of photos showing where the open end attaches to the servo (pink) and the hole where the other end inserts.
I need to know how the separate piece stays in place. Are there supposed to be tabs to hold it in? Or do I just have to push it in firmly?
If I need to get a new piece with tabs, any idea where to buy it? I'm sure that Porsche will ask me to buy the entire heater unit.

Last edited by Ahsai; 11-26-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:24 AM
medent
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took a look inside the hole to see how the insert piece is held in place. It's held in place with two tabs that are located where the instrument is pointing. The screw holding the pieces under that is still there.
The tabs lock over the edge when the piece is pushed into position and holds it there, at the same time allowing the piece to rotate inside the hole.
Has anyone replaced the hot/cold actuator? Apparently this piece comes with it and most likely the old one is still good.
Otherwise I'll have to come up with a way to bond new tabs onto it. Not sure of their size and height though. Anyone have a photo of an undamaged one?
Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2015, 12:27 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by medent
Took a look inside the hole to see how the insert piece is held in place. It's held in place with two tabs that are located where the instrument is pointing. The screw holding the pieces under that is still there.
The tabs lock over the edge when the piece is pushed into position and holds it there, at the same time allowing the piece to rotate inside the hole.
Has anyone replaced the hot/cold actuator? Apparently this piece comes with it and most likely the old one is still good.
Otherwise I'll have to come up with a way to bond new tabs onto it. Not sure of their size and height though. Anyone have a photo of an undamaged one?

I hope you sterilize that endo explorer again
Old 11-27-2015, 01:41 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

^ I think we just found out what 911 carrera blue does for a living!

Old 10-14-2019, 10:13 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread...I am replacing the heater core....seems like this is my opportunity to take that blend door out and foaming it.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:14 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 107 Posts

There are 2 doors. I don't think you'll have access to the second door from there.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:48 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Originally Posted by jim010
There are 2 doors. I don't think you'll have access to the second door from there.
Agreed....may be solve 1 of 2 problems....although (from all the posts I have read)...the other door does not necessarily affect the amount of cold air (for A/C) or heat...with winter coming, I would like something better than "warm" air....it seems that fixing this vent will allow colder air in the summer and hot air in the winter

Last edited by pesuazo; 10-15-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:07 PM
pesuazo
Pro

I was reluctant...but pulled out my good ol' dremmel tool....and got busy.....

Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 AM
carlvs
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Foam?

What type of foam are you going to use? And where are you sourcing it from?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:44 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by pesuazo

Resurrecting an old thread...I am replacing the heater core....seems like this is my opportunity to take that blend door out and foaming it.
Don't put the foam back in unless you like doing the job twice. Most people put metal tape that the HVAC people use to insulate duct work and blowers. It has a high-temp glue and will hold up for years.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:03 AM
pesuazo
Pro

did not use foam...but used strips along the edges...this was not the final product

None of these pictures was the final product...but you get the idea of where I was heading
Old 10-25-2019, 10:05 AM
pesuazo
Pro

I bought the 3M aluminum tape and the strips for the edges in Lowe's Home Improvement....
I also put in some tips here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...the-vents.html
Old 10-25-2019, 05:33 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

There is also a White rubber backed material used for industrial duct work
that could have promise, its about 1/6 inch thick and has a shiny white side
and the black side with a peal off adhesive on it.. Stuff is VICIOUSLY sticky..
And its designed for outside weather exposure.. so 100% water proot.. Prob available
from a local commercial HVAC contractor.

Next time the guy is in I'll have to see what the brand name is..
The following users liked this post:
Gingerman (10-25-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:29 PM
John J. Morgan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dremel the top cap off, do you need to move anything at the bottom? I saw another instruction that suggested you need to.
Further, how did you replace the plastic that you removed?

Quick Reply: Air vent debris