Sponsored by:

Great Road for those in the mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
JohnCK2014
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Road for those in the mid Atlantic

I have spent the better part of the last ten years hunting down good driving/riding roads in the mid Atlantic area. I really don't know how I managed to miss this one but I did. If it is already well known to everyone, my apologies for my ignorance.

A few weekends ago I took Virginia Route 211 west out of Warrenton. The roads is pretty unremarkable, though the scenery is great, until you get to the Blue Ridge. There, the road goes to three lanes (two lanes going up and one coming down). It is one fabulous twist after another. It is the best road I have ever driven and I have driven a lot of them. What makes it great is the third lane. The problem wish most great roads is that they are two lanes and difficult to pass on. So you often end up cruising behind Grandma out in her crown vic for her Sunday drive unable to get around her. With the extra lane going up, that is not a problem. You can pass without worry of oncoming traffic. It also makes blind corners much less daunting since if something is there you have a lane to go around it in. I can't recommend 211 enough. It is a very dangerous road still, but oh my God is it fun.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:58 PM
LIS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a beautiful road- but it's also heavily patrolled. Be careful or you're likely to make an involuntary contribution to the local authorities.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
JohnCK2014
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really LIS. I have been out there one Saturday and one Sunday morning. Both times never saw a cop, at least on the fun parts of the mountain. They were all over the flat parts, but those are not why you come out there. The one thing about the mountain section is that I am not sure where you could safely set up a speed trap on that road.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There are a few of those crossing the mountains, but you gotta watch the idiots that can't maintain their lane around those corners. You'll also get the dimwits in the left lane that will pace the right.

And of course when you come back down you still get caught behind the slow ones that do 5mph around each and every corner

Quick Reply: Great Road for those in the mid Atlantic