Sponsored by:

Looking at 2003 Porsche Targa and need input

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 AM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Looking at 2003 Porsche Targa and need input

I have been looking for a Cayman or Cayman S for a long time. I ran across a 2003 Targa with 62,000 miles on it a few hours from where I live. First question is an 11 year old Porsche a mistake if I plan on tracking and auto crossing the car? My current weekend / track car (limited) is a 2012 MINI JCW and I have grown very tired of MINIs and the FWD nature. I find my self driving my 2004 BMW more than the supposed fun weekend car...

Second any advice on buying an 11 year old porsche that I can't readily go look at?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

I don't think that buying a used 911 is a bad thing. However, you really need to get a solid PPI, understand the maintenance and history of the car, and drive the car. I wouldn't buy one without any of these things.

On another note, the Targa isn't the best choice for track use. You'd be better off with a Carrera variant. The targa isn't as structurally rigid as the Carrera and it's heavier on top due to the huge glass roof.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:09 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Good point on the Targa and weight up top... A good track performer is part of the criteria but a greater percentage of the time will be spent just enjoying the car on the weekends on country roads.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:18 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by k_h_d
ISecond any advice on buying an 11 year old Porsche that I can't readily go look at?
Hopefully, someone here is local to the car and can give it a quick once over. And as Dennis C suggested, have a good PPI done by a trusted shop (indy or dealer) to give you an "educated decision" to buy this car or not. Best of luck.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:31 PM
pordlanzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dennis C
On another note, the Targa isn't the best choice for track use. You'd be better off with a Carrera variant. The targa isn't as structurally rigid as the Carrera and it's heavier on top due to the huge glass roof.
Highly agree with this.. The weight up top raises the center of gravity = not best for tracking... That being said, if it's going to be a DD or a weekend car and only track from time to time and a solid PPI checks out, why not?

After a clean PPI it all boils down to how you feel the car.. make a mistake or two concerning 911 variants! That's what fuels dreams for future purchases!!
as everyone says, ask me how I know.. :thumb up:

good luck and have fun!

M
Old 05-26-2014, 03:54 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

If track performance is a significant factor, the Cayman S would be tough to beat. What is the most enticing thing to you about the Targa?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:12 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Originally Posted by kcattorney
If track performance is a significant factor, the Cayman S would be tough to beat. What is the most enticing thing to you about the Targa?
I like the style of the coupe but the open air of the targa. I have never liked the cabriolet. My dad has a 1999 cabriolet but I just have never been a fan of convertibles. Coupes look great.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Any advice on how to setup a PPI? Do we come to an agreement on price first and then make it contengent on good inspection? The car is near St Louis.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that's a cool thing about the Targa. No offense to the cabriolet owners, but I feel the same way about the lines of the cabs. But, the sunroof on the coupes just isn't real well conceived - too much wind noise and an odd, irritating wind noise at that. Targa would be a good solution. Plus, they are pretty rare and unique. If ultimate track performance is only moderately or less important to you, get the Targa. Lack of depreciation will be a nice little bonus over the Cayman as I think the 996 depreciation curve has pretty much hit bottom. In other words, if you buy the Targa and later are lusting after the Cayman, you'll be able to get most if not all of the purchase price back on the Targa, assuming you don't overpay for it.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:50 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

I don't do a PPI until I come to an agreement on price. Then ask here for a PPI recommendation - use an indy, not a dealer for the PPI. If the seller has been upfront about what's wrong with the car (and there is ALWAYS something wrong with a 10+ year old car), then the PPI should just be confirming the car is as described with no indications of an imminent major component failure (note that a PPI is still no guarantee). If so, no need to haggle price further (if the PPI does show the car to be not as advertised, then you can't trust the seller and you should walk before you wire the seller a bunch of money). Then, agree on delivery method (fly out - drive home is my favorite if I have time). If I'm buying a car for more than $10k, I just wire the money. The seller sends the title as soon as he gets the $$ (unless you're picking it up quickly). Then either you or your shipper arrive to get the car.
Also, before sending the$$, I do some internet snooping on the seller and have at least 4 phone or e-mail conversations with him. If the little red flags are going off in the back of your mind telling you that something is wrong, don't send the $$.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:59 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

To clarify, set the price first based upon seller's description of condition and what should be at least 20 photos e-mailed to you by the seller. The PPI is to confirm condition, not set price. You can't go to trouble and expense of a PPI unless you are confident that you can get the car at a price you are willing to pay. If the PPI shows the seller misrepresented the condition of the car, then you don't want to do business with that seller.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the Targa is a few pounds heavier. Take out the spare and you're back even with a Carerra.

But, don't pass on it for performance reasons. Are you planning to compete? Where fractions of a second per lap matter? No.

The bigger question is, are you looking for an eleven year old car. If so, it's hard to beat a 996 Targa.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

Don't get me wrong... I love the targa. I think that they are great vehicles and that they are fine for occasional DE events or autocross. However, for anything more than that, I'd probably get coupe. A sunroof delete coupe would be even better. As kcattorney said, a Cayman S would be fantastic on the track.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:51 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Originally Posted by Targatoo
The bigger question is, are you looking for an eleven year old car. If so, it's hard to beat a 996 Targa.
Thats my main concern. From my experience they seem very reliable and I am not to concerned about age. However I am slightly concerned about pushing an 11 year old car to the limit and how safe it is.

Being competive in my local region autocross competitions is important. I have been very successful in my MINI jcw and curious how I would fair moving up to porsche.

I also want to do several HPDEs a great with it, but not timed events...

My father says I should look at the 997 instead for maintaining value...
Old 05-26-2014, 06:00 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Have to disagree with your dad on depreciation. 996's are pretty much at the bottom of their depreciation curve - they may not appreciate in value for a long time, but they won't drop much in value. 997's are still taking a pretty big depreciation hit. This is not a comment on the overall worthiness of the car - it's just a factor of the age of the car.

Quick Reply: Looking at 2003 Porsche Targa and need input