996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First Gear Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
You know, it is possible to install the clutch disc backwards but Im not sure what symptoms that would cause. At this point we're all WAG'ing. We would really like to see and/or hear whats going on.

Gonzo, can you smell the typical slipping, burnt clutch smell?
This is exactly what I thought when I read the first line of the thread. In other cars the symptom is EXACTLY as described. My bet is on the disc having been put on backwards.

Also, fyi, when my clutch was replaced about 18 months ago, the flywheel was replaced at the same time.......dealer job.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Update...Got the car back today. New clutch sensor and all seems good, but there are extenuating circumstances that need to be disclosed.

Indy noted some after market wiring in the same harness as clutch sensor. Soft codes noted so not sure if the problem is actually related to the sensor or to the other wiring. Easier and cheaper to replace the sensor than to continue to investigate. After market wiring could be from my Double Din install (doubtful) or from a previous owner mod (radar dector, iPod charger...who knows but more likely).

Also noted cracked coils. So the problem could also have been power related, ie, not getting the normal RPM's that I am used to to get the car moving. Something only I may be able to notice. Indy and 3 other techs drove the car but didn't notice anything wrong with the clutch but the owner did think it was sluggish, so changed the coils too. Again, they needed replacing and why spend labor on that diagnosis.

So, could be failing clutch sensor. Could be aftermarket wiring throwing codes for failing clutch sensor. Could have been the coils. Still could be something else. If I continue to notice these issues I will insist they revisit the entire clutch assembly, but for now, things seem to be fine. Thanks all!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well thats certainly good news. Glad you got it sorted
Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much was the clutch sensor? and does anyone have a DIY?

Also, are you sure its called a clutch sensor and not a clutch interlock switch?
Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

The switch inquestion is #17 here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=702-00

The way it works is the switch engages as soon as the clutch pedal is pressed and its purpose is to tell the DME so the DME will retard the timing to soften the shock when the clutch engages at the friction point.

The interlock switch is #16 which prevents the starter from being activated as long as the clutch pedal is not all the way down. The switch engages when the pedal is almost all the way down. You will hear a slight click.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

I'll be changing both switches out to play it safe...Even after a new clutch I'm experiencing the same thing that the OP is describing.

OP - Which switch did your dealer change that fixed the issue?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Wow - I really can't believe that clutch switch caused 3 MAJOR problems.

1. It would have starting issues. Key would go into ignition and I'd twist and still nothing. I'd have to hold there until it would start.

2. Lack of power as mentioned by the OP (Sluggish), and variocam wouldn't engage later then usual. Car didn't even sound the same.

3. The first gear issue of loosing that sweet spot and all shifts as a matter of fact felt a bit off in terms of engagement. I bought the part for 25$ at the dealer and replaced it in 10 min. Literally the best fix I have ever done on a car.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
I'll be changing both switches out to play it safe...Even after a new clutch I'm experiencing the same thing that the OP is describing.

OP - Which switch did your dealer change that fixed the issue?
Clutch switch, OEM. Same part # that Ahsai posted. Makes you wonder how many new clutch kits get installed rather than replacing a $22 part. So far so good here.

Quick Reply: First Gear Issues