Sponsored by:

Brake pad dust!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Brake pad dust!!

Not sure what brand pads are on it, but i can barely pull my car out of the garage, without the wheels being covered with brake dust. Any recomendations for a decent pad thats not so messy?
Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
Not sure what brand pads are on it, but i can barely pull my car out of the garage, without the wheels being covered with brake dust. Any recomendations for a decent pad thats not so messy?

I am so happy I am able to share info on this because I lived in that nightmare once before and you will be very pleased with how cheap it can be resolved...

I purchased my car awhile back and literally was considering blacking out my wheels if the brake dust was always going to be so bad all the time. Same as you I would take my car out of the garage drive it and gas it up (5 miles) then by the time I got home they would already have to be wiped down... Anyways to cut the story short I purchased "Armor All : Brake Dust Repellent" (link below) which did help some but it still wasn't enough. Then I found Akebono brake pads and it fixed everything. I honestly wipe my wheels down maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks now but even then there is hardly any brake dust at all. I still use the armor all protectant along with the upgraded pads and am able to enjoy my car. Hope that helps! I wish I would of know this when I was dealing with it lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2607764...&ul_noapp=true
Old 09-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+2 for Akenbeno. Very low dusting. Just do not use them on the track for only the trees will stop you.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:05 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

$7.87 at Walmart. Great stuff until my Porsche sales rep told me it is very acidic and would corrode my calipers and everything else in the braking system. I e-mailed Armor All and they said it would do damage if I don't keep it off the brakes etc. I don't fell like pulling the wheels. I need to create some kind of shield to cover all of the brake, rotor, and disc. Just spray the wheel.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool Carbon Street performance pads are nearly as clean as the Akebono but are suitable for Autocross and light track use. I've had both and much prefer the Cool Carbons.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:00 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gator996
+2 for Akenbeno. Very low dusting. Just do not use them on the track for only the trees will stop you.
Noted lol. Thanks

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
$7.87 at Walmart. Great stuff until my Porsche sales rep told me it is very acidic and would corrode my calipers and everything else in the braking system. I e-mailed Armor All and they said it would do damage if I don't keep it off the brakes etc. I don't fell like pulling the wheels. I need to create some kind of shield to cover all of the brake, rotor, and disc. Just spray the wheel.
Wow I didn't know this... It is funny because I have had some other experiences with Armor All products that have resulted in similar issues. Thanks for the info and let me know if you find a solution.

Originally Posted by RDL
Cool Carbon Street performance pads are nearly as clean as the Akebono but are suitable for Autocross and light track use. I've had both and much prefer the Cool Carbons.
I might give them a try. I have just been so satisfied with the Akebono.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Another good option is Hawk Performance ceramic pads. Switched to them years ago and have been very happy. Can't speak their track worthiness
Old 09-03-2016, 09:14 PM
jgm911t
Rennlist Member

I have Akebono brakes on my BMW330ci, love the love dust but must admit it did diminish the braking, but fine for the street. Was thinking about putting on my 996 but I think I'll check out the cool carbons.

Also, I used to use wheel cleaner but found out just normal car wash easily removes brake dust, easier on the rims!!
Old 09-04-2016, 02:56 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
Why wouldn't you just spray it on a towel and wipe it on?
Old 09-04-2016, 05:25 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South
Another good option is Hawk Performance ceramic pads. Switched to them years ago and have been very happy. Can't speak their track worthiness
+1

I also use Hawk pads on the street. My HREs are bright silver and show dust immediately.

These work - cheapest price was actually on Amazon Prime
Old 09-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
May have to try the hawk performance pads, as i am hopng to do some light autoX and track days
Old 09-04-2016, 11:20 AM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill offer my perspective based on trying several pads (OEM, OE compounds, and ceramic) on my 750li, and a Volvo S60R and V70R (both of the volvos had Brembo 4 pot calipers on each corner) and research Ive done...Im still on OE pads on the c2 for now

- Ceramic pads dust less and, more importantly, the dust is non metallic. The dust is usually a brown/tan color, and doesnt dig in to the wheel. So they dont create as much dust, the dust they do create is less noticeable, and it wipes off easily.

- Ceramics have a different feel than OE pads. People will claim that they "dont stop as well", but that is a function of feel rather than actual stopping distance, which has been backed up with braking distance tests, etc.

- Ceramics have less initial bite, which contributes to the feeling of them "not stopping as well" as OE. The overall distance is usually the same or better with ceramics, but it feels better

- Ive had both Akebono and Hawk on the same cars. I found the Hawks to have better initial bite and be more linear than the Akebonos. I was surprised by this, as many people rave about Akebono, and I was loyal to them for many years. My wife also said the same thing when we put Hawks on her V70R. They felt closer to the OEM pads.

- Generally, ceramics are less prone to squealing. Only exception Ive found is that the Hawk ceramics on the BMW squeal a little when backing up. Never happened on the Volvos, so maybe I need to add a little more grease to the pad backing

- Everything I have heard/read is that ceramics arent suitable for track/autocross use, as they fade very quickly under high heat/track use.

Again, just based on my experience and what Ive read. YMMV.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
May have to try the hawk performance pads, as i am hopng to do some light autoX and track days
I am at the track right now and using the Hawk SP's for the first time. Really bite hot or cold. Sounds like a school bus in the street. Jason at Warehouse 33 will get you a great deal.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:34 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

EBC RedStuff are great street pads that you can track

They are ceramic and on the street, very low easy to clean dust. On the track , more dust
Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
+1 to that.

Akebono has always been a good alternative for low dust, even used them myself. Cool Carbon is a great track and daily pad as well and we often run promotions on them throughout the year. So, keep an eye out!

Akebono - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item2
Cool Carbon - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg3.htm#item8
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: Brake pad dust!!