Sponsored by:

9xx motors on ebay-$7,500 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 AM
lvc2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 9xx motors on ebay-$7,500 rebuild

Anyone know anything about 9xx motors? $7500 rebuild on ebay. They are located in Westminster, Ca.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 AM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be very, very wary. 9XX may be affiliated with the hated MotorMeister shop in Westminster.

MotorMeister is in bankruptcy, has defrauded many clients, and has had instances of one set of parts going in for a rebuild, and a lesser set of parts being returned. MM has been resurrected as "Stuttgart Auto Works" at the same location in Westminster, and the location and pricing of the 9xx offerings makes me feel MM and 9XX are related.

$7,500 isn't much for a rebuild, so many used parts that may be replaced by others must be making their way back in to the "rebuilt" product. For $7,500, you're getting a "refreshened" rather than "rebuilt" engine.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Ask for an itemized listing on exactly what is done and replaced. That's the only way to really know. I'm curious as to what a $7500 rebuild entails from them.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

It is not motormeister.

Tim and Jason used to be partners at UFO motorsports in Long Beach. Just had UFO rebuild my 996 engine. They has all great reviews and comments when I did my research. Still waiting on shipping to get the car back.

For some reason they split. I did not ask. they still seem to get along. Tim is at UFO and Jason started 9xx motorsports. All they do is rebuild water cooled engines. Tim builds 20-30 a year. I spoke with Jason and Tim and went with UFO because he paid shipping back.

I would trust either shop to do a rebuild. Both guys are honest and know what they are doing.

The rebuild includes a different bearing, which they say they have never had a problem with but they can put in an LN bearing if you want (for extra $).

Either shop can do a any work needed, but if you don't have a good core the cost goes up, for example if block or heads are cracked.

If you need a rebuild I would not hesitate to send it out west to either shop.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine003
Ask for an itemized listing on exactly what is done and replaced. That's the only way to really know. I'm curious as to what a $7500 rebuild entails from them.
Just had UFO do mine - see receipt. I assume 9xx motorsports is the same.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 AM
lvc2
Instructor

Thanks for info.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I have heard pretty good things about UFO, and have not seen any strong complaints. You should know that this is a traditional rebuild covering the basics (as listed). If is nothing close to what Jake Raby/Flat Six does, but then it is less than half the price.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

I think I read somewhere that Flat 6 will do this service for $8500. My engine was fine, it just needed some old IMSB shavings cleaned out. UFO will do many of the upgrades flat 6 does, like the nickies liners (through LN engineering) but then the cost goes up accordingly.

The cost of the rebuild really depends on what is wrong with the motor to start.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 PM
lvc2
Instructor

It appears that once they took off the serpentine belt that the motor would turn over and they think it is good. Great news.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 PM
lvc2
Instructor

I spoke to Jason at 9xx motors. He does a lot of water cooled Porsches including redoing some of motormeister's engines. Seems very knowledgeable.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I think I read somewhere that Flat 6 will do this service for $8500. My engine was fine, it just needed some old IMSB shavings cleaned out. UFO will do many of the upgrades flat 6 does, like the nickies liners (through LN engineering) but then the cost goes up accordingly.

The cost of the rebuild really depends on what is wrong with the motor to start.
Clarification:
My engines start at 18,500.00 and ALL builds include Nickies and full updates. The parts and processes list is 6 pages long if itemized and 14K of the cost are just those parts and processes. We only offer full service, meaning for that 18.5K the car is received, engine extracted, all processes carried out and then reinstalled, broken in for 150 miles, dyno proven and shipped home turn key. My program is a true reconstruction of the engine, we do not simply replace whats broken and a few other parts as in a traditional "rebuild"; because we know the deficiencies that lie beneath the surface, just waiting to bite us and the purchaser later.

Of course, we developed the things that others claim to use, but they can't source what we create in house, because it isn't sold outside of complete engines. Again, just a clarification.

Please don't compare apples to oranges.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

That invoce above is not a rebuild but a refresh. I don't see new pistons or anything to do with the bores. Also the head work doesn't mention anything about guides, vlavle seats, lifters.....only guide seals,
Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The term "rebuild" is often times uses very loosely.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:36 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
That invoce above is not a rebuild but a refresh. I don't see new pistons or anything to do with the bores. Also the head work doesn't mention anything about guides, vlavle seats, lifters.....only guide seals,
I'll agree with that. I should have said before I posted the invoice that the engine ran perfect. No intermix, didn't use oil, didn't overheat. Engine only has 40K miles. I just needed the IMS shavings removed and another IMS put it. If I later get a head crack or scratched cylinder I won't blame the rebuild. I know it is a possible problem, but those seem rare compared to IMS issues and I was not willing to spend an extra $10K just in case.

FWIW the dealer offered to do the same thing for the same cost as long as there was no internal damage to the engine, but at the time I was unsure if there was any internal damage or wear and I didn't want to get into a $30,000 crate engine from Porsche if there was damage.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

FIFY

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I'll agree with that. I should have said before I posted the invoice that the engine ran perfect. No intermix, didn't use oil, didn't overheat. Engine only has 40K miles. I just needed the IMS shavings removed and another IMS put it. If I later get a head crack or scratched cylinder I won't blame the REFRESH. I know it is a possible problem, but those seem rare compared to IMS issues and I was not willing to spend an extra $10K just in case.

FWIW the dealer offered to do the same thing for the same cost as long as there was no internal damage to the engine, but at the time I was unsure if there was any internal damage or wear and I didn't want to get into a $30,000 crate engine from Porsche if there was damage.

Quick Reply: 9xx motors on ebay-$7,500 rebuild