OBD II Code Reader Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:15 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Thanks! Placing my order now.

EDIT: Order has been placed. I went for the "Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS" one. Amazon says 17 to 28 days shipping. I tried a few vendors and all say the same, so I assume this is some default Amazon time frame. Hard to imagine it could take that long to get here. I'll let you know once it shows up.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. When the CEL came on the first time time, I spent a lot of time worrying on the rest of the drive up to LA and back .
POssible since most of them ship from Hong Kong or China.
How about this one?
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-17-2014, 01:23 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Looks like Torque Pro is only for Android phones, got a recommendation for iPhones?
Pls see post #21.

The key is to find the right app. Apple apps are OK for people interested in track data overlay, hp, mpg, etc. but they are pretty weak in diagnostic capbility. Torque is extremely good at Diagnostic capability. It even supports some extended PID like Toyota hybrid, Mazda, etc.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Just get el cheapo from ebay for $16 shipped.. lol I have one and I have always been able to read codes and erase them. Simple enough.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I guess you guys are missing my point. The stand alone simple scanner can only read codes and it will not plot real sensor data, don't have mode 5&6, which will help OP diagnosing his issue or at least understand what is happening w/o bring the car to the mechanic all the time.
The way I understood it the OP just wanted something to clear cel and nothing more. If you want more like you have stated then yes, a simple scanner like this will not meet your needs.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Longtail996
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As always, a wealth of very appreciated info, think I'll trade out one of the iPhones for a 'droid & get the App, thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Longtail996
As always, a wealth of very appreciated info, think I'll trade out one of the iPhones for a 'droid & get the App, thanks!
Before you do that, take a look at this one
http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxwf.html
Its $100 now. I peordered one at $70 at the initial Kickstart project phase. Still waiting for it to be delivered.

It is a WiFi based scanner which works on both Android, iOS and Windows. The beauty of this is it works with OBDFusion, which provides similar capability as Torque (real-time sensor reading, modes 5&6) and it also works with Torque on Android phones, all via WiFi.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obd-...650684932?mt=8

At $100, it's less attractive but if you don't want to get stuck with a single OS, this is a good albeit expensive option at this price.

Last edited by Ahsai; 04-17-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Longtail996
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reviews for that App are outstanding, I'll get going that way as I have too many devices and vehicles around here to get locked in to a single OS, thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Longtail996
The reviews for that App are outstanding, I'll get going that way as I have too many devices and vehicles around here to get locked in to a single OS, thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Anytime

I haven't read the reviews of the app but I'm using its Android version and I like it. Torque has a little bit better user interface but if you want mode 5&6 data, this is the ONLY iOS app that does it.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Colorado Bob
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently purchased a 1999 C4 Cab with the full Fabspeed performance package. I drove it from Arizona to Colorado and the CEL came on about half way home. I brought it in to the local Porsche dealer for an oil change and a full checkup and they said the O2 sensors were weak and they would be $1400 to replace. They suggested leaving them for now. Today I went in for a Colorado emissions check and they found a bad gas cap and the CEL light came on again. I bought a $50 OBD2 pocket scanner at the local auto parts store and it read P1276 which is the O2 sensors. I erased all error codes and all is good now.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Update: 5/8/2014:

OK, so my CEL came on again today. I ordered the "Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS" which arrived a couple weeks ago, and today I installed the Torque Pro app.

The scanner comes with a mini-CD. My computer doesn't like it... when I try to load the CD, the computer just keeps spitting it back out. There were no paper instructions of any sort, so I have no idea what is on the CD.

Anyway, I was able to get the following fault codes (see below).

Ahsai,

1. How did you get those screen captures from the phone? I went old-school, and used a camera to take a picture of my phone screen.

2. I couldn't figure out how you got into those screens that plot " precat and postcat O2 sensor voltages in time."

3. I can't figure out how to clear the codes.

4. Is it OK to just leave that scanner plugged in all the time?

Again, I have no instructions at all, so maybe the CD would provide elucidation, if the CD could actually be read.

Here's the info I obtained:
Attached Images   
Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Update: 5/8/2014:

OK, so my CEL came on again today. I ordered the "Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS" which arrived a couple weeks ago, and today I installed the Torque Pro app.

The scanner comes with a mini-CD. My computer doesn't like it... when I try to load the CD, the computer just keeps spitting it back out. There were no paper instructions of any sort, so I have no idea what is on the CD.

Anyway, I was able to get the following fault codes (see below).

Ahsai,

1. How did you get those screen captures from the phone? I went old-school, and used a camera to take a picture of my phone screen.

2. I couldn't figure out how you got into those screens that plot " precat and postcat O2 sensor voltages in time."

3. I can't figure out how to clear the codes.

4. Is it OK to just leave that scanner plugged in all the time?

Again, I have no instructions at all, so maybe the CD would provide elucidation, if the CD could actually be read.

Here's the info I obtained:
1. Screen capture on Samsung phones see here http://www.androidcentral.com/how-ta...g-galaxy-s-iii Based on your Mode 6 tests, they both failed (marginally) so the only remedy is a set of new cats I suggest you show the screenshot to Fabspeed and ask for their warranty.

2. On the home screen of Torque, click on the "Realtime Information" icon then flip to an empty page. Then touch and hold the screen to get the "Add display" option. Then select "Graph" and one of the O2 sensor voltage. Repeat so you cover all 4 sensors. With the mode 6 test results above, I expect to see the postcat sensors follow the precat sensors swinging (for good cats, the postcat will stay at 0.6-0.7v steady during idle)

3. Go to home screen of Torque and click the "Fault Codes" icon. Then click on the "menu" on your phone (should be at the lower right bottom corner). Then select "Clear faults on ECU"

4. No, it will drain the battery

BTW, under the "Realtime Information" icon, one of the pages should be "Emission Readiness", can you read that as well?

Last edited by Ahsai; 05-08-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

BTW, those mode 6 tests don't run every drive cycle so if you clear the codes, it will take some time and multiple drive cycles before the tests are run. The tests may or may not fail because they are right at the failure boundary as indicated by the allowed value (max) and measured value (current). If one of both of the test fail, the CEL will be tripped.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to try and take the car into the shop tomorrow where the Fabspeed stuff was installed. Good info about the multiple drive cycles.

One more Q for now: What the heck is on that CD? Do I need it?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Anytime! I never bother to check that CD. I doubt there's anything useful that your laptop can do but your phone can't. Btw, my car runs those tests probably once or twice a week and I drive it everyday. Every time you will get a little diff results with the tests but the measured vales should be around the same ball park numbers.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

OK, I'll keep you guys posted with how this pans out. Oh! I forgot about that palm-swipe thing for the screen shot capture on Galaxy III. I used it a year or so ago, then forgot all about it.

Pretty amazing what an $8 scan tool and a $5 app can do. Who would have guessed a few years ago that I could diagnose my car's cats from my telephone. Alexander Graham Bell would be proud.

Quick Reply: OBD II Code Reader Recommendation?