Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FVD Brombacher - High Quality IMS Repair Kits are $ 495 - New Release!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:36 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Yea, I noticed quite a few have been absent. Jake has a stand in, Charles has been a little quite, but posting. I guess I missed the straw that broke the camels back. I try to stay out if it gets too heated.. Good to see you posting.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yea, I noticed quite a few have been absent. Jake has a stand in, Charles has been a little quite, but posting. I guess I missed the straw that broke the camels back. I try to stay out if it gets too heated.. Good to see you posting.
I wasn't going to post because I didn't want to start a flame war or have people who have had previous issues with me, LN, or our products turn this into a sh*t show. But here goes.

Although FVD is our competitor, I'll be the first to say that **** happens and bearings do fail. If anyone sells enough of them, you will eventually have a defective one pop up. That's why we try our best to make sure that pre-qualification procedures are followed to the T. I don't know all the details on what happened above, but dual row bearings with twice the load capacity seem to be less sensitive to environmental conditions or possible internal defects.

It's good that it was caught early and a sealed bearing was used to try to mitigate any contamination of the replacement bearing. I hope a spin on filter adapter without bypass was put on to try to collect any FOD and that the pan is dropped several times in short succession to clean any lingering debris.

As far as FVD's kits not using a ceramic dual row bearing, there are none right off the shelf that are a direct fit as Boxman said, and custom means more $$$. Both the Single Row Pro and Classic Dual are make custom for us by the industry leader in ceramics. One guy pretty much makes them all in the US. For example, if you go into a Motion Industries for example and try to buy a ceramic hybrid bearing, it will end up coming from the same source, however our bearings are unique and are sold to no other company.

And the IMS Solution is unique as well in that it is patented, just like the Single Row Pro, and the Solution is as different as it gets from the IMS Retrofit, being that it backdate the IMS to a plain, oil fed bearing. Nothing to fail, so yes, if someone has a failure with the Solution, they must be trying really hard or be really special!

Everyone else are just imitators. FVD, just like TuneRS and others, used to be large consumers of IMS Retrofit kits until they decided they could make more money doing it themselves by doing it differently. Just stating a fact.

But one thing is constant among everything we do - we don't knock off competitors or copy people's products, like our competition is more than happy to do, or infringe on our patents. Everyone knows I make the RND Roller Bearing and the Pelican IMS kit. We make lots of products private label for other companies because it fits a niche the customer wants (like Pelican with a budget DIY kit) or SSF who wanted a quality roller bearing kit when they weren't happy with what was available that they would stand behind with their 2 yr / 24k warranty they give shops on parts.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Everyone knows I make the RND Roller Bearing and the Pelican IMS kit. We make lots of products private label for other companies because it fits a niche the customer wants (like Pelican with a budget DIY kit) or SSF who wanted a quality roller bearing kit when they weren't happy with what was available .
I knew you made the RND Roller, but didn't know you made the Pelican IMS kit. I like its pricepoint and the" one kit fits all" design, great for the budget DIY'ers. Thanks for posting..
Old 06-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I knew you made the RND Roller, but didn't know you made the Pelican IMS kit. I like its pricepoint and the" one kit fits all" design, great for the budget DIY'ers. Thanks for posting..
Wayne and I brainstormed the Pelican kit years ago. He wanted something that you would change every 3 years that the DIYer could do with minimal tools and in their home garage.

There are lots of items people don't realize we make for others. One of our highest volume products isn't even for a Porsche, but for light aircraft: http://zipperbigbore.com/
Old 06-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ironically there is a banner advertisement at the top of this page :This is the source of the failed single row bearing in this thread. Not a word from them to support their product just an ad."FVD Brombacher - High Quality IMS Repair Kits are $ 495 - New Release!!"

Who wants to be a guinea pig?
6 weeks later the banner ad has gone ................
This must surely be a hint to those who used the FVD bearing or a similar one to change it before it is too late.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 07-26-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:40 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Ironically there is a banner advertisement at the top of this page :This is the source of the failed single row bearing in this thread. Not a word from them to support their product just an ad.

"FVD Brombacher - High Quality IMS Repair Kits are $ 495 - New Release!!"

Who wants to be a guinea pig?
NOPE!
Old 06-10-2018, 07:42 PM
10/10ths
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm new to this forum, so I will throw my two cents into the fray.

I own a 2004 Boxster S and bought her with 25,000 miles on the clock in 2015.

I immediately shipped her to Flat 6 and had the "Solution" installed.

As of June, 2018, I have 50,000 miles on her.

I love the spin-on filter adaptor and the idea of a plain bearing.

Just install the "Solution" and start living life. It's cheaper to buy the right part and install it once, instead of constantly trying to band-aid fix with an inferior design over and over and over.......

The "Solution" allows me to make trips like this with zero worry.

Get busy livin'.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:57 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Last edited by User 63031; 06-09-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:43 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Last edited by User 63031; 06-09-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Notice the below is a spec not a warrantee...
"We also have the dual rows spec'd for 62,000 miles / 100,000 kms service life on each bearing.

FVD Brombacher - USA

Rhonda Roxburgh
Phone: 954-571-2050 x 1
Email: rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net"

This is the only info I can find on the FVD website that mentions warrantee or lack thereof. Perhaps I missed it somewhere. Maybe vendor could direct me to the proper location on their site?
From their website
"Warranty And Disclaimer
There are no express warranties that extend beyond the description contained herein. SELLER DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SINCE SELLER CANNOT CONTROL THE MANNER OF USE OF ITS PRODUCTS AFTER THEIR SALE, SELLER WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL OR INDIRECT DAMAGES. When Seller is acting only as a distributor of products manufactured by other companies, Seller expressly limits its liabilities to any guarantees extended by the manufacturer, which guarantees Seller will pass through to the customer. No warranty will apply if its products are in any way altered or modified after delivery by Seller."

I don't see any mention of "Product warranty is void if not installed by FVD"(post #1009 from IMS bearing failure thread)
From their website:
"We recommend professional installation for the IMS bearing. "

I must be missing something here...
Old 07-25-2018, 10:39 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by user 63031
LN Engineering practically won't sell the Solution to people who've had a previous IMS failure. For those cases, only a properly sealed replacement bearing + bypass mod (either spin-on or zero-cost DIY) is an option unless you've got enough money to do a complete rebuild anyway.

Just to be clear; the FVD Dual Row is not that. The Pelican kit is, or a DIY sourced closed bearing.
We will advise customers of the appropriate actions that need to be taken. That said, it's a free world and we can't tell anyone what they can or can't do. If someone wants to fit our products in an engine after there has been a failure, that's a calculated risk. What I don't agree with is people who do that, stick our sticker on the car, then list the car for sale as having been Retrofitted then it blows up on the new customer and it's my fault.

As far as FVD and those other companies that blatantly try to copy our products and fail, there is only one original. The rest are imitators. We used to sell our bearings to companies like FVD and several other purveyors of IMS before they decided they could make more money cheaping out on components and undercutting us. No harm, no foul. That's what we are here for. It's all economic stimulus. When the competitors' product fails, they can also call Jake. He loves helping people who make the wrong decision and bought the wrong parts.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

When the competitors' product fails, they can also call Jake. He loves helping people who make the wrong decision and bought the wrong parts.
Damn right.. Send it on.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:42 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro

There are lots of items people don't realize we make for others. One of our highest volume products isn't even for a Porsche, but for light aircraft: http://zipperbigbore.com/
Charles i'm curious, whats the aircraft crowd like?? Guessing the game changes when you've got quite a bit of space between you and the ground...

I have a dual row pro, another two years ill be due for a replacement ill go with the solution.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Aircraft guys are easy to deal with, or at least Hal at Zipper Big Bore is. Great guy to work with. He's had engines blow up mid-air. Never lost his composure. He said our cylinders are stronger than the originals. He actually had a rod fail and he didn't know until he landed. Had a misfire but didn't loose enough power to make him think twice. Our cylinder took the impact of the rod repeatedly and didn't fail or even lose a drop of oil. Quite a sight to see. The same failure with a stock cylinder doesn't have the same result.

Actually, the first cylinders we made in any volume were initially sold into the 1/2 vw market. If you don't know what that is, google it. They were getting 50 horse at 3200 rpm constant duty out of a 2 cylinder (half of a vw type 1 engine - literally sawed in half) with our cylinders and making it last.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice one testament to your wares then!

Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher - High Quality IMS Repair Kits are $ 495 - New Release!!