996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 05:16 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,536 Posts

I have come to understand that the line out pins 9 - 16 on the ISO wiring harness plug are high level and overheats the head unit even when speakers aren't in use.

Am I understanding this correctly?

"Line out" usually refers to a high-impedance, low level output that is commonly used as an input to a separate amplifier. Usually terminated in a coaxial "RCA" connector. They can not drive an un-amplified speaker directly.

"Speaker out" usually refers to a low-impedance, high level output that is commonly used to connect directly to a speaker, though many amplifiers can also accept these high level inputs, or can be run into an amplifier with an adapter.

Speaker outputs must be connected to a correct load, usually 2-8 ohms. Combining six speakers into four outputs isn't always possible, depends on the specifics.

Line outputs ALSO must be connected appropriately.

None of the grounds should be tied together.

----
Please don't take this personally, but it seems like you aren't familiar enough with car audio wiring to get things connected properly. Trial and error probably isn't the best method, and you might very well end up letting the "magic smoke" appear in your wiring, or frying the amp circuits, or ??? Do you have a local car buddy that could come help you? I hate to send you to a shop, but that might be less painful than frying your head unit or worse.

Last edited by pfbz; 10-15-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:11 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Please don't take this personally, but it seems like you aren't familiar enough with car audio wiring to get things connected properly. Trial and error probably isn't the best method, and you might very well end up letting the "magic smoke" appear in your wiring, or frying the amp circuits, or ??? Do you have a local car buddy that could come help you? I hate to send you to a shop, but that might be less painful than frying your head unit or worse.
No offense taken. I am learning here. Keep it coming!

No I have no one local that can help. Just getting help here and other forums. I like doing this stuff and learning, so I have no problem doing it and redoing it if wrong - repeatedly if needed. And I did ask a local shop, and they didn't want to work on it due to me bringing in a head unit and wiring that they had nothing to do with.

I got this answer from a car audio forum. I will try doing this:

Your headunit is heating up because you are shorting the grounds for multiple channels together. Most cheaper radios just burn up the mosfets at that point, better radio's turn the output off and give you a protection warning.

Just run a normal 4ch Loc off the high level outputs and connect the outputs from it to the oem wiring in connector C. You'll get fade and have the same gain structure for the front and rear speakers.

Last edited by jim010; 10-16-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:00 AM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Alright, I'm looking at doing an upgrade when I finally fix my hvac flaps and am pretty sure I want to purchase the 8gb/256gb qualcomm (snapdragon) version for $365 (last option on this link ) Heres my question which the seller was completely unable to answer. I have a 2002 C2 Coupe with the bose amp/6 disk in the frunk and originally a CR220 headunit. However I'm led to believe this is NOT a fiber based MOST system even though the seller has a blanket statement "if you have bose you must purchase fiber box". Does anyone know what I will or wont need to make the android unit work with the factory speakers and Amp. Lets skip the usual "factory amp/speakers sucks" or " bose blowz" responses as this upgrade is 99% for bluetooth and android auto rather than sound quality. I would like to keep the sub box since its technically functional at the moment. Looking for wiring harnesses and or diagrams needed.

Anyone actually install this unit?
Old 10-16-2023, 03:48 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nychase
Alright, I'm looking at doing an upgrade when I finally fix my hvac flaps and am pretty sure I want to purchase the 8gb/256gb qualcomm (snapdragon) version for $365 (last option on this link ) Heres my question which the seller was completely unable to answer. I have a 2002 C2 Coupe with the bose amp/6 disk in the frunk and originally a CR220 headunit. However I'm led to believe this is NOT a fiber based MOST system even though the seller has a blanket statement "if you have bose you must purchase fiber box". Does anyone know what I will or wont need to make the android unit work with the factory speakers and Amp. Lets skip the usual "factory amp/speakers sucks" or " bose blowz" responses as this upgrade is 99% for bluetooth and android auto rather than sound quality. I would like to keep the sub box since its technically functional at the moment. Looking for wiring harnesses and or diagrams needed.

Fazm I think can answer that. I only have the 6 speaker HiFi M490 system.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:23 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by jim010

No I have no one local that can help. Just getting help here and other forums. I like doing this stuff and learning, so I have no problem doing it and redoing it if wrong - repeatedly if needed. And I did ask a local shop, and they didn't want to work on it due to me bringing in a head unit and wiring that they had nothing to do with.

Just installed a android ATOTO head unit in my 2002_996.2.

Definitely not a most system in 02.

Got a Metra install kit from amazon and a wiring kit from some other Amazon china company.
Plugged in the connectors including the rca for subs, all rca outs to all available inputs and all speaker wires to corresponding speaker connections(paying particular attention to the +/- on the wires/plugs. There were no rear speaker wires coming from the car adapter plug, but the head had all 8 speaker wires. So not using the rear outputs from the head unit.

Started it up and even without the rears, its sound great. OEM Amp is working good, and the door speakers seem to be the woofers. Was going to change out the speakers but it sounds so good not going to touch them.

Will try to get the rear/fader to work, might have to find the rear wires at the amp and patch in the head rear speaker wires..? But for now, just plug and play,,, surprising how clear and clean it sounds, not clipping, no distortion at all, I'm truly amazed as the 996.1 I did was terrible till I changed out the speakers.

Amazed how powerful the ATOTO android A6pf, with 996.2 2002 oem amp is. Can't turn up the volume more than 1/3 or its ear shattering. and the door speakers boom bass amazingly well for there size. Atoto seems fast, responds instantly, wireless connects to my s22android auto immediately and my girls iphone car play fast. And was half the money my other slooow head unit was in the 996.1

Now take all this with a grain of salt as I'm not a audiohead, or media system install expert at all.

jmo

Last edited by allcool; 10-16-2023 at 11:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PBradz (10-22-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 11:21 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

I got a Soundstage 4 channel LOC. It solved all my problems. Runs cool, and I have all 4 speakers working with fade. Thanks to the members over at DIYmobileaudio forums for the help.

Anyone that gets the Aliexpress Android and does not have Bose or MOST, I can help with wiring.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:36 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by nychase

I'd want to see the back of the head unit, but based on this link's pictures: https://www.germanaudiotech.com/prod...arrera-boxster

You should be able to get away without the Avin/MOST unit. Good news is if you need it, it's trivial to add.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:34 PM
RTSC4S
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a thread dated from 2014…is it active cause I’d like to know how that amp was recessed in that shelf?
Old 10-18-2023, 10:36 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

wat
Old 10-21-2023, 01:27 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 188 Posts

I got a Soundstage 4 channel LOC. It solved all my problems. Runs cool, and I have all 4 speakers working with fade. Thanks to the members over at DIYmobileaudio forums for the help.

Anyone that gets the Aliexpress Android and does not have Bose or MOST, I can help with wiring.
How did you wire it up..?
2 of these came with my Atoto... think these will get my back speakers working..? Can't read the Chinese so not sure how to adjust them..?

Old 10-21-2023, 03:02 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 144 Posts

Anyone help with what the RAM and ROM options do on these units? I do not plan on putting music or videos on the unit just play from my phone

Last edited by Dranon; 10-21-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:07 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

So here are some photos of the Aliexpress unit installed and now running smoothly. Sound (to me) is good after having played with the settings. I have an OBDII reader app downloaded and a TPMS app as well, so this time hopefully I will told when my tires are low (I messed up a couple tires, I'm embarrassed to say ...).

This cost me a fraction of the PCCM + and has way more functionality. And it is android auto wireless, plus I retain my back up camera, with the option of adding a front camera, or a 360 degree camera system. And the design fits in quite nicely with the rest of the car.

Photos are from my tablet, which sucks ... I'll take better photos later.

And before anyone mentions it, yes, my buttons and HVAC light up in blue instead of orange.

Last edited by jim010; 10-21-2023 at 10:09 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by jim010:
allcool (10-22-2023), Dranon (10-22-2023), fazm (10-22-2023), PBradz (10-22-2023), peterp (10-21-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 09:34 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 144 Posts

OK cool what else besides sensors on tires do you nee for the TPMS? Also how bog of a job to make the lights blue?
Old 10-22-2023, 04:10 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dranon
OK cool what else besides sensors on tires do you nee for the TPMS? Also how bog of a job to make the lights blue?
Well, the lights in the cluster was just a matter of changing bulbs, but the switches and HVAC had to have the LEDs soldered in.

The TPMS comes as a kit with everything you need.
The following users liked this post:
PBradz (10-23-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 11:44 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Can you link the TPMS kit?

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here