996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I have to ask

Old 12-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Mark Wagner
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have to ask

First let me say I am a car guy, always have been. I belong to forums for other cars I own and participate in them regularly. I started looking around here because I am in the market for a 996, I think this is a really nice looking car with nice performance and the drive-ability I am looking for.

I have a question for so many on here that complain about the 996. I don't mean to be rude at all so do not take it that way. Why if so many here complain about these cars for a multitude of engine issues does everyone have one?

Please be honest because the more time I spend on here the less I want a 996 and I have admired them for a long time.

I could buy a newer Corvette but love the looks of the 996 much more, so please, please, can all of you driving these 996's tell me why you have them.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

You have to realize that this is a problem solving board, so people make posts here with issues. Most 996 owners drive them and enjoy them without worrying about their engine disintegrating.

That being said, I love 996 ownership. It has been a fantastic car with very few problems other than wear and tear. I love the way the car looks. I love the driving experience. The 996 is one of the best values available in pre-owned performance car.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Don't be dismayed. The 996 is a great car. Internet forums attract whiners and this place is no different. I look at it this way, if you go to a doctor's office, then you'll find sick people. Go to an internet forum and you'll find people whining.

Be patient, do your research and there are some awesome 996s out there and you'll not regret it. I'm the second owner of my 996, had it almost 9 years, done nothing other than change fluids, brakes, tires and clutch. It's the most reliable car I've ever owned and have absolutely no regrets.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

141,000+ miles on my 996. It is my daily driver and I am amazed at how well it performs and how comfortable it is. I think the problem is that Porsche owners can be obsessive about their cars, so faults get magnified and every tiny imperfection leads to a repair as opposed to "living with it" like you would with lesser cars. Perfectly good parts get replaced because they "might" fail.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Perfectly good parts get replaced because they "might" fail.
We have people here that have honed this insanity to an extreme - their opinions on reliability are not worth much and are the people who are most vocal.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:35 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most enthusiast forums have a large technical bent...I find this one no different. As said, two types of people show up: those with questions, and those with answers. It's just that simple.
The term "enthusiast" is key: enthusiastic owners who are concerned over their cars...in this case 996's.

When a person buys into the Pcar world, they do so with enthusiasm for the breed, and temerity for the experience and "cost of membership". That's not unique to the Porsche 996.

Guys spend $25k on late model cars and never join any forums...why? Because they are not enthusiasts. Guys spend $25K on a Pcar, join a board and ask questions regarding their fears, their potential costs, etc...nothing unusual at all.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What draws some to Porsche sports cars, including myself, is Porsche's history, it's approach to engineering, flat-six engines, and either mid or rear engine layout. The gradual evolution of the 911 shape seems to have an appeal that other sports car lines lack. The 996 is one of the best modern Porsche buys available.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a last thought on this. I'll share something said on a BMW ///M forum I've been on for 5 years:

"Rich guys buy these cars and just write the check for all maintenance, you'll never see them posting here. Car guys buy these cars and want to know what makes them tick, and how to avoid $150/hour shop fees..."
It may not translate directly, but the general sentiment is likely as true here as it is over there on that board.
* I have loved the 911 from afar my whole life. I've never had a rear-engine car before, so it's unfamiliar to me. My wife really loves them and recently drove a 997 at a track...so this 996 is her Christmas present. I must say, I really love the look-but the handling is otherworldly compared to my ///M car.

Last edited by TSMacNeil; 12-09-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

A good friend of mine has a 2002 Z06 - a very comparable car to my 996. After driving his for most of a day, then getting back in mine, 2 thoughts stuck in my mind: the 996 felt underpowered; and it felt amazingly nimble.

A 996 is quick by most standards, but there's no substitute for the displacement of an American V8 engine. However, as a "driver's car", Porsche products are hard to beat. My 996 has been my daily driver for 6 years. It's needed hardly any maintenance, puts a smile on my face, and I'd be hard pressed to think of a car I'd enjoy more at twice the price.

I suggest that you drive a few - that experience may help you decide on what you want.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

996 is a great grand-tourer. Ignore the BS you find here about 500 mile oil changes, and IMS hysteria. Buy the car, DRIVE the car, and enjoy the car. Porsches do not take well to sitting. Browse around the forums here, big majority of cars having catastrophic continuous problems are the garage queens and cars that do not get driven regularly.

Well used, daily driven 996:

Garage Queen 996:

If I come to you and offer you an investment that yields 50% return per year (996), and has 90-95% chance to hit that 50% mark, would you run away to your bank for safe 0.5% APY annuity (Toyota Camry)?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd hit the daily driven one.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
We have people here that have honed this insanity to an extreme - their opinions on reliability are not worth much and are the people who are most vocal.
+996 ignore the self serving glory hounds.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:16 AM
fmmoto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same concerns during my two-year search and contemplated 3.2's, 964's, 996's and 997's. I lurked on Rennlist reading the good and the bad and landed on what so far has been a reliable 996 which was a garage queen (18K miles when I purchased it). I think every generation has their shortcomings and maybe the 996 has the most glaring but it's a GREAT car.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many before have said, this forum is full of people trying to solve problems, or avoid them if they have hit the interwebs and started reading up on their cars, or their prospective cars. Unfortunately, there is a HUGE data skew here when it comes to what is reported here versus actuality. As mentioned, if only people in Doctor's offices were queried about their overall health, we would think that there was an epidemic, when in reality most of the population is healthy (at least in this example). So, this forum draws in a lot of people with fears, concerns, etc.

I was referred to this forum by a buddy that is a huge car guy, and I think it's one of the best parts of 996 ownership. It's probably difficult as an outsider, but you will quickly learn who has paranoia about their cars and who doesn't. Not judging, just saying.

Now, to your other question, why did I buy one? I have wanted a 911 since I was 8 years old. A guy that lived at the end of my street drove a 930 Turbo and drove it by my house every afternoon/evening. I could hear it before I could see it and I would stop what I was doing when I was outside to watch it go by. HOOKED. Flash foward 25 or so years, I was in the position to add another car to the stable. Not a daily driver (although it certainly could be) and started looking. I was suprised by the prices, and the more I read, the more I liked the ease of ability to work on them. Like you, I can do the basic stuff, but have never dropped an engine, or done a top end rebuild. I've had my 996 almost 2 years (22 months) and have had a water pump go out on it, and a window regulator that is getting finnicky. Other than that, I have had no problems. For about $275 and 5 hours of my time I replaced the water pump using the knowledge I learned here and a YouTube video. I plan to do the same with the regulator when I get some time.

Take your time, ask questions here or otherwise, and whatever you do get a PPI of the car you are looking at. There are a lot of 996's out there, some well used, some barely used. Once you find the one you want, buy it, drive it as often as you can, and enjoy it, they are great cars.

DS
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not all of us (996 owners) are unhappy with our Porsches. I happen to enjoy my C2 and its reliability after 7 years of ownership and find that my 14 year old car is as much fun now as it was the day I brought it home. This is my 3rd Porsche and by far it is the best I've owned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have to ask