Sponsored by:

CGT Style Headlight Bi-Xenon Projectors - Retrofit kit for 996 & 986

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 AM
Nine8Six
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CGT Style Headlight Bi-Xenon Projectors - Retrofit kit for 996 & 986

Just sharing what I did for my little Porsche car with you guys. They are CGT style headlight bi-xenon projectors running off 35w HID ballasts. And they look guud (they say!).

Some of you got the same kit from me and will soon be installing it so I thought it would be cool for this kit to have a thread on its own. If anyone runs into any complications with the installation [or customer service] (unlikely!), or would simply like to share their tips & tricks along with pictures, post here.

In a meantime, here goes a few visuals of the kit that some members have customized for themselves:

Last edited by Nine8Six; 12-02-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Nine8Six
Rennlist Member

Below is the latest and final work on the kit - w/ built-in Angel Eyes. The design have been modified by request from my mates in Japan, who somehow loves those high performance projectors. They are still at the R&D phase and will be ready by xmas if all tests passes. I'm not a huge fan of Angel eyes myself but for those young at heart (!), they look pretty damn cool (the prototype does anyway).

Beware this is a no-brand AFTERMARKET part meant for retrofitting old halogen Porsche 996 & 986 headlights -to- Bi-Xenon HID with high performance projectors. Fully customizable including the script/wordings laser'ed around the bezel (in any language).

Still at a hobby stage however we seriously plan to commercialize those at the beginning of 2014. Therefore the Porsche trademark will have to go I'm afraid. Otherwise customizable on a case-by-case basis.

Enjoy!

Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Beautiful high quality work.

Question ?

Do you have any experience with rear light assembly's ? Willing to consider designing one a LED setup for the 996tt and C4S wide body cars ?

You could sell 500 on this site alone.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. Very interesting. Are the beams focused, in other words, some HID can blind oncoming traffic with scattered light?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
Wow. Very interesting. Are the beams focused, in other words, some HID can blind oncoming traffic with scattered light?
The cutoff is very sharp and you shouldn't have any issues with blinding oncoming drivers unless you mis-aim the headlights or if you have issues with your scatter shield not working properly for the high beams. The only issue is maybe going over a big bump or hill as aftermarket HID's don't have the self-leveling feature as the OEM versions.

I received mine and they seem to be very nicely done. Unfortunately, my free time has been allocated to remodeling a baby room for the upcoming baby so it will have to wait til next year.

Fred, you're killing me with the angel eyes. You really need to think of another name as I don't really see them being angel eyes in the traditional sense.

I normally only like the angel eyes on Bimmers but in this case, those do look cool and unique.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Alpine. I am anxiously awaiting your report. I am however stunned that you put your soon to be newborn ahead of your Porshce.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Gator996
Thanks for the feedback Alpine. I am anxiously awaiting your report. I am however stunned that you put your soon to be newborn ahead of your Porshce.
Gator, yes I'm stunned as well but this is the third kid and the novelty wore off after the first one. I did make up for it though and went crazy on the AutoGeek black friday sale. I hope you got some good deals from it too.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 PM
bmo72
Advanced

So how do I get a pair of these?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by bmo72
So how do I get a pair of these?
Check your PM with Fred's info.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM
jamren
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case anyone is interested, after doing some searching, I figured out that the tool that is useful for prying open the headlight is called upholstery clip pliers or upholstery panel clip pliers. I plan to order a set today.

KD Tools 3705 Upholstery Clip Pliers - Amazon.com KD Tools 3705 Upholstery Clip Pliers - Amazon.com
Old 12-03-2013, 02:16 PM
medent
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the tool that I used. Made opening the light units very easy.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Nine8Six
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamren
In case anyone is interested, after doing some searching, I figured out that the tool that is useful for prying open the headlight is called upholstery clip pliers or upholstery panel clip pliers. I plan to order a set today.

KD Tools 3705 Upholstery Clip Pliers - Amazon.com
I've been recommended this tool at this end as well. Apparently it is "The Tool" that will open any headlight in a snap. Medent and another of my friend recently used it and were quite satisfied with it.

I've recently opened a few headlights for myself or friends' (actually, many). Below is some guidance I've given to a few who recently had to open their own headlights:

Headlight in the oven: Start with 10 minutes @ 200F, take it out, have a look & feel of it, let it cool down in your hands for 1~2min and give it another 5min @ 200F. Wear gloves (hot!) and then start prying near the parking light side. Some said it's the easiest place to get it to budge. However I found out that every headlights is different. There is no magic spot. You have about 5-10 min between each pry attempt (cooling time). If you fail to get it to budge, STOP, and place it back in the oven for another 10min @ 175F. At that point you'll start to lose patience and the elbow grease will start to develop! This is when ALL of my headlights pop open
Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Nine8Six
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
Check your PM with Fred's info.
Thanks mate, AND CONGRATS on the new little family addition!!!

I can be contacted via PM

edit: removed email address. don't do the same mistake... spam magnet lol

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-01-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 AM
tdarby
Rennlist Member

any pictures in the 02-05 style lights?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Nine8Six
Rennlist Member

I personally don't hold any but know of someone who is currently retrofitting his turbo with those same projectors atm. Hopefully he will share of few pics when done

Quick Reply: CGT Style Headlight Bi-Xenon Projectors - Retrofit kit for 996 & 986