Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another new guy looking at a 996. Rear seat question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:55 PM
spc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new guy looking at a 996. Rear seat question.

Hi.

I'm new here. I've spent a lot of time looking an reading the posts here. Great information. I will say my productivity at work has dropped since I started reading this forum.

I know about the 'issues'... and I don't think there are any right or wrong answers on those, it's more of a 'do what you feel is comfortable'... right?

My question is... I have a 2.5 year old daughter and I have another on the way. I'm just wondering if there is a difference in size in the rear seats in the coupe, targa, cab. I read that certain car seats will fit but I also read the cab sits more upright or something due to the safety roll over bars. So I'm wondering what the size difference is if there is one between the 3.

I'm not 100% set on targa cab or coupe I was just barely able to swing this by my wife (it was this morning when I got the go-ahead).

Miles don't scare me too much I would prefer less than 90 unless.I'm told otherwise.

I've checked a few used car dealers and a lot of them don't have service records. I'm assuming because of an auction... any thoughts on no records?

Model year? Not a game changer for me. (Unless you think otherwise).

After market warranty? I don't know much about these.

Dealer probably because I'd like to finance some of it.

I also want to know what makes you pull the trigger on a PPI.

I'm in LA I'd like to buy in California.

I know a lot of these questions have been asked and answered (I've read a lot of them) but some threads have more complete answers and I really wanted to post on here!

Thanks for your time!!

Ps.. I've wanted a Porsche since I can remember. And we do have a 'family' car.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:12 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Welcome. The biggest concerns with the rear seats are the small base and seat back from the front seats. You will find that only small child seats will fit in the rear seat area.

Your child's legs will hit the back of the seat backs too. You'll end up moving your front seats forward, making you cramped in front.

It's possible but you need to test-fit the child seat. Booster seats pose a similar problem; the cheaper, smaller ones from Walmart worked for me.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

To my knowledge the Cab seats are smaller, but I am not sure specifically how much. I have a 4 year old that has ridden in the back since she was 2. She is now in a booster, but when she was in a full size child seat we did have to move the passenger seat forward to keep her legs from hitting the front seat. Once you have 2 children back there, your seat will need to be moved forward more than likely, so keep in mind how often that may occur. I took out the seat cushion (they just velcro on) so the base of the car seat could get a more stable and uniform platform on which to sit.

Also, PenFed will finance from private seller or dealer, regardless of year, and at very affordable rates...not affiliated, but have had great experience with them, from private individuals as well as dealerships.

GL,

DS
Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the cab seats are more upright - less comfortable position for kids .. Targa and coupe are the same. My kids are older so I never needed to get car seat in. People can do it - search here .. But it will be a pain to get kids in/ out - better when they are old enough to do themselves - and only need booster. My 15 year old still fits behind passenger - but kid behind driver is tough for more than a very short drive. Honestly with very little ones you'd be better off with a 4 door - how about Audi s4 ? And with two pre-teens a 911 is possible but I'd say only for occasional use / shorter trips ...
Old 12-02-2013, 02:32 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If a child seat is gonna be a common occurrence, you're probably looking at the wrong car. You are bound to tear up the back leather of the front seats while putting the kid seats back and forth - I have hard time putting anything sizable back there without touching the b pillar or seat back.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 AM
WanderingPurist
Advanced

As an occasional 2 adults plus child(ren) "fun car" it should work, and as you wrote, you have a "family car" otherwise. I've found I've been surprised by just how much room is back there for storage, but of course, child seats have very specific requirements.

Think of it this way - once the children are out of their child seats, you have only a few years where they will reasonably comfortably fit in the back seat WITHOUT child seats. and if like me, you get to sell "all your toys" and play grownup for the next 14 years.

You have been warned!

:-)

As someone who recently went through exactly what you went through, and in the same area too! I can't emphasize strongly enough - unless you buy lottery tickets every week and trust the stranger on the street who wants to borrow $100 and promises to pay you back, just give him your card, I can't emphasize strongly enough - GET A PPI, FROM A REPUTABLE SHOP.

read all parts of the last phrase in caps.

I didn't - I trusted two sellers, they seemed straight up guys (one I'm still in touch with!) and seemed to know what they were doing / saying, and in one case I'm going to be $3000 out (and likely MUCH more, to be completely comfortable) and in the other, I'm $6400 out and about to drop another $2-3k. All within a few months of purchase. Both without PPI because the seller seemed honest and knowledgeable.

Service records are nice but not deal killers, if the experienced shop knows what to look for AND LOOKS FOR IT. Missed oil and filter changes, for example, can result in difficult to see damage, but many 996 owners are do it yourselfers, so you wouldn't have any records even if the work WAS done.

A PPI can identify leaks and breakages which are not easy to see by the layman and on street level, which can lead you to look more carefully to ID those leaks and work backwards to why the abnormal wear and breakages occurred. Again, difficult without having it on a rack and having experienced eyes and ears to work with yours.

"I know about the 'issues'... and I don't think there are any right or wrong answers on those, it's more of a 'do what you feel is comfortable'... right? "

In my limited experience, yes. There are many more with much more experience and technical knowledge than I do that can give you more details and back up their POV but I have also read quite a few seemingly well thought out positions that were...well, kinda cockamamie. This is the internet, afterall, and what seems reasonable and therefore right, often isn't.

"Just because it makes sense, doesn't mean it's true."

My question is... I have a 2.5 year old daughter..."

see above and other posts.

"Miles don't scare me too much I would prefer less than 90 unless.I'm told otherwise. "

If taken care of and in good shape, I personally (and supported anecdotally) expect the 996's to last well into the 100's of k miles (as in, 120, 130, maybe even 150) without major rebuild. I know many others totally disagree - porosity, scoring, etc.

"I've checked a few used car dealers and a lot of them don't have service records. I'm assuming because of an auction... any thoughts on no records?"

See my comments earlier. Auctions usually don't pass on records, and many dealers, even for non-auction cars, don't pass papers on. But if you have a friend at an authorized service center (or an indie with access to the Porsche service network) you can pull up major work done by VIN. If you have the PPI done by an AD, they might pull up the records for free, or they might charge you extra, on top of the PPI. In the latter case, I'd stay away from that dealership - it really doesn't take much to pull up the report and acting this way only means they will likely nickel and dime you to death (with Porsches, those nickels and dimes will kill you) or worse, they will overcharge you or even worse, upsell you when it really isn't warranted.

"Model year? Not a game changer for me. (Unless you think otherwise)."

I have experience (short experience, mind you) with early gen 1 (1999) and early gen 2 (2002) - there is a surprisingly big difference between the two, but oddly enough, I can't say I like one much better than the other. They are...different.

"After market warranty? I don't know much about these." I've gotten this for a 2005 AMG; it was expensive, it was worth it. But I don't know if same applies to Porsche or 996 in particular. Fidelity Platinum was what I got, and it is generally widely well regarded and pretty generous about approvals.

"Dealer probably because I'd like to finance some of it." As someone already commented, PenFed is a great source of financing and they'll do private party vehicles. But you have to join.

"I also want to know what makes you pull the trigger on a PPI. "
see previous

"I'm in LA I'd like to buy in California." Good idea - saves you anxiety, trouble and cost of shipping, and risk of not passing smog or not having CARB stickers. If you buy from out of state, you will have to get a DMV (some AAA offices can do this as well) inspection, VIN check, AND a smog check. Buying a CA car also tells you it probably won't have corrosion issues, but that's not a 100% given, especially if the specific car has spent time out of state in a snow salt state, or just as bad or worse, a coastal state with flood disaster history.

Welcome! I'm a newbie too...

"Ps.. I've wanted a Porsche since I can remember. And we do have a 'family' car. "

Funny, I DIDN'T want a Porsche for as long as I can remember, but last December I was bitten by the P-bug, and have been rabid ever since.

:-)
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 3 yr old and 6 month old. The 3 yr old has been riding in the back seat of my Cab since he was 3 months old. First in a rear facing Combi Coccorro and for trips under 30 mins my wife was fine in the front seat pulled fwd a bit. When he was 2 I bought the Porsche Junior seat that's fwd facing and it was a perfect fit for the Cab rear seat (I removed the seat back with allen tools) and my wife who is 5' 10" doesn't even have to move her seat fwd anymore. The Porsche Junior seat literally fits like a glove back there and my son's legs dangle over the seat bottom so he doesn't even need the front seat to move fwd.

I don't know what the generic equivalent is, but I know they don't sell it in the US anymore, but still sell it in Europe / ROW. If you want you can go on eBay UK and search for Porsche or BMW or Mini ISOFIX G1 G2 car seat or they show up on craigslist and ebay on USA site too... here's one example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Ju...item1c397bdc80 and here's the identical one in BMW badging http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...+seat&_sacat=0

Have fun - the Porsche Cab is a great fun family getaway car.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It will probably be awhile before the new child will be in the 996 since the rear facing infant seats take up more room.

In the meantime there is a bar you can install in the passenger seat (easy DIY, but you need the dealer to enable it) that lets you disable the passenger airbags (Pelican's DIY) so you can put a child in front. It's meant to work with Porsche's child seats, but I found a company in the UK that sells blanks that fit in the buckle so you can use any seat. Our <2yr old son loves when he gets to go for a ride since it's his favorite car.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Jetzeus
Advanced

Not a big deal. I can't speak for a 996 cab, but the 993 cabins a no-go for car seats of any sort. Tried it and sold the car. The 996 is a different story. There are nice little boosters for sale at Target that firing the back great. I will try to find a link and post it. As far as full-fledged 5-point harness car seats, take a look at Diono car seats. They are heavy, but they are narrow and safe. I want to say the model is the radian, but I'm not sure. Works great though. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kids 3/6/9 here, my 996 is my daily driver. Plenty of room for little kids, I bought a 996 over a Boxster so I would have the capability of hauling all three. I use a Recaro ProBooster for the 3-year old, it's a perfect fit in back.

Amazon.com: RECARO ProBOOSTER High Back Booster Car Seat, Blue Opal: Baby Amazon.com: RECARO ProBOOSTER High Back Booster Car Seat, Blue Opal: Baby
Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Class VI
Advanced

spc - Your situation is eerily similar to mine. Wanted a P-Car for as long as I can remember....been working on my wife for almost as long....have a 3 year old, and 6 month old....and an SUV for family hauling. I finally got the go ahead a few weeks ago that next year will be THE year. I'll be using the car the odd time for hauling around the kiddos but at least by next summer I won't have to worry about rear facing for my youngest. Good luck with your search!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it! Any hassle is more than worth how much your kids will enjoy it and the fantastic looks you get from having little kids in a world-class sports car.

The targa hatch makes life with diaper bags, etc. much easier, if you can find one you like.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:30 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo
Do it! Any hassle is more than worth how much your kids will enjoy it and the fantastic looks you get from having little kids in a world-class sports car.
+996

"Dad, you're going too fast!" - my 4yo.

He polices me on my driving and if I'm watching certain PG films with him in the room.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo

The targa hatch makes life with diaper bags, etc. much easier, if you can find one you like.
Absolutely. My kids love to take the 911.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:54 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Life is too short. If you have a family car just do it.

As for the wife part, I usually drag my toys home then tell her "look what I got"

Quick Reply: Another new guy looking at a 996. Rear seat question.