996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good week in the 996 forum...

Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #46
Gator996
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used the Pennzoil blinker fluid on my last annual flush. My turn signals are noisier than ever now. Should I go with Mobil 1 and if so, what weight?
Gator996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #47
Capt. Obvious
User

Joe Gibbs has a new all-in-one blinker/muffler bearing/coolant/cooking oil that you should be using. If you don't, your car probably won't make it past 50k miles.
Capt. Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #48
Gator996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good to know Capt. I will put a 50gal order in with Summit Racing tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #49
DreamCarrera
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo911 View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy Porsche OEM air for my tires?
Porsche OEM air??? I've never heard of this before...I'll bet that's why my last set of rear tires only lasted 5,000 miles.

Do Indy's carry this air or do you have to go to a P stealer? I'll just check with my dealer because the Indy season is over and I don't want to wait until spring(when the new Indy season begins) to get this air. Actually, maybe George Costanza can help me. Is he still working on the Penske file???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator996 View Post
Good to know Capt. I will put a 50gal order in with Summit Racing tomorrow.
DO NOT do this. 50 gallons is way too much...sure you need to change the fluid every 250 miles or 2 wks(whichever comes first) but unless you put a lot of miles on your car you will never be able to use all of that fluid before it goes bad. I've heard that the fluid absorbs moisture even sitting in an unopened container and only has a shelf life of 3 wks...just sayin'.

BTW, how do you add this fluid to the muffler bearing? Yes, I've done a search but I still can't seem to find it. I just poured a little bit of the fluid on top of both muffler cans but now my car smokes like a bitch...HELP!!!
DreamCarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #50
Gator996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I figured that 50 gals would be enough for the frequent fluid changes plus my daily frying of various foods, including Oreos.

You need a special tool for the muffler bearing. The tool is only .36 at Harbor Freight but you must have it programmed by the dealer for 274.79.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #51
mcbit
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCarrera View Post
Porsche OEM air??? I've never heard of this before...I'll bet that's why my last set of rear tires only lasted 5,000 miles.
DO NOT USE AIR IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY ON BOTH YOUR TYRES AND YOUR CAR

It is well known that use of air degrades handling, gives a 5000 mile tyre life and necessitates refilling at 100 mile intervals.

For N rated tyres please use N2 (Nitrogen), see related TSB on carrying a Nitrogen cylinder in the frunk.

Updated PET Part No 996 997 991 S16 Savanna
mcbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #52
Cuda911
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, a real question here... I'm sure it's been covered 12,000 times before but I'm too lazy to search....

I've always checked my oil with the dip stick. For a few days running, there's been this moronic thread about the dipstick shedding metal flakes into the oil , thus causing your engine to implode or explode or fall out or something. Totally stupid.

Anyway, for the first time ever, I decided to try using the on board computer oil level check. It started a timed countdown that indicated it would take one hour! I waited three minutes, then canceled the oil check. What's the deal here?
Cuda911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #53
pfbz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is there a place to buy a replacement a55hole repellant cartridge for the rear spoiler?

Mine must be empty...

In the past week I've had a preponderance of tools driving powerhouses like Mitsu Eclipses Dodge Darts cut across several lanes of busy freeway traffic just to pull up along side of me and show me their awesome capability to accelerate from 75 to 99, then hit the brake, repeat.

As an alternative, maybe I should just buy an Eclipse and join the tool club?
pfbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #54
pfbz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda911 View Post
...I decided to try using the on board computer oil level check. It started a timed countdown that indicated it would take one hour! I waited three minutes, then canceled the oil check. What's the deal here?
Are you using a Porsche approved oil? I'd try that first.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #55
Cuda911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
Are you using a Porsche approved oil? I'd try that first.
Not sure... is Crisco Porsche approved?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #56
pfbz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Not sure... is Crisco Porsche approved?
Nope. Only Pflanzenfett. For Winter use only of course...

Old 11-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #57
mcbit
Super User

Quote:
OK, a real question here... I'm sure it's been covered 12,000 times before but I'm too lazy to search....

I've always checked my oil with the dip stick. For a few days running, there's been this moronic thread about the dipstick shedding metal flakes into the oil , thus causing your engine to implode or explode or fall out or something. Totally stupid.

Anyway, for the first time ever, I decided to try using the on board computer oil level check. It started a timed countdown that indicated it would take one hour! I waited three minutes, then canceled the oil check. What's the deal here?
Real answer too! If I stop the car, turn off the ignition and turn on again it will generally show 4 - 5 minutes. If I stop at a gas station and fill up before switching on the ignition again, generally indicates about 5 - 6 seconds. Haven't tried it cold but I imagine the results may be interesting.

The flaky dipstick sounds like it has been posted by a flaky dipstick to me. I call BS!
mcbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #58
Cuda911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, McBit!! I was using summer blend Crisco in a cold engine, hence the slow measurement time. I have it scheduled to get it swapped out with Pflanzenfett. My error was to assume that just because there is no difference between winter and summer weather here, I didn't need to change oil type now that winter approaches nigh. At least my indie only charges $850 for that (labor), plus another $1,200 for an OEM filter, so not too bad at all.

Winter steel-studded tires go on next week too. I hope they aren't too loud on the freeway.

McBit, my tires are rated N4. Does that mean I need to use double-enriched nitrogen?

P.S. You spelled "tires" as "tyres". That is illegal in our country, even if done in proxy mode via internet. I see you are in UAE, but shall assume low Al Qaeda influence for now. I only ever see them driving Toyotas on CSPAN.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #59
Adker
User

Quote:

Winter steel-studded tires go on next week too. I hope they aren't too loud on the freeway.
No need to waste money, it is a easy DIY project.

Last edited by Adker; 11-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Adker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #60
DBJoe996
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I saw one of those 50 gal. vats in one of KrazyK's garage pictures! I have a question - I have 127,500 miles and I was wondering...is it time for an oil change? Should I include a new or used filter? Doesn't checking the oil with the dipstick create friction in the dipstick tube and thereby contaminate the oil every time it is checked? I never put air in my tires except Porsche approved air, I lubed my muffler bearings with JB Weld (was that a mistake?) and I also found that the condenser and radiator bearings required a special little known Porsche lubricant only available at a special tree outlet in the Black Forest. Look that one up! Cheers!
DBJoe996 is offline   Reply With Quote