Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Need Help Should I buy a 04 911 turbo Now or a C7 vette in a few months? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/783999-need-help-should-i-buy-a-04-911-turbo-now-or-a-c7-vette-in-a-few-months.html)

TurboBill911 10-31-2013 03:29 PM

Need Help Should I buy a 04 911 turbo Now or a C7 vette in a few months?

First, let me tell you that I have had an 04 911 turbo cab before and loved the sucker fastest car I have ever owned. But due to unforeseen circumstances I had to sell it. So fast forward I have been thinking about getting another 04 turbo but then I went COA and saw the brand new c7 vette at the chevy display and loved the looks of the yellow with black wheels. So I odered one because it was 10 years newer, no miles and a good warranty and maybe better resale. The reason the resale is better is because most banks don't finance 11 year old cars(i can barely get financing now for the 04)

But after some runarounds it looks like its going to be maybe 6 months to a year to get the c7. So now I am considering an 04 turbo cab x50 for about 52k. I know this is a porsche forum that is why I am asking this here. If I buy the 04 911 turb is it going to be hard to sell in a couple of years. Also is there any big maint items that I should be concerned about?(car has got under 45k miles)

And just for fun would really like ya'll opinion on what ya'll think I should do. I can't afford a new 911 btw.

Dennis C 10-31-2013 03:36 PM

The new 'vette is really nice. Your point about it being new are valid. It will have updated/modern electronics. For the money, you can't beat it.

That being said, the turbo is also excellent. You just have to decide what you want.

996pp 10-31-2013 04:00 PM

I have never been a fan of the vette except the classics, but these new ones are pretty sweet looking. It would be a hard decision but most likely I would go with the Porsche especially if its the turbo. I think overall its just a better car for me. As for the maint items you will probably get better responses on the turbo section of this forum.

Marc Gelefsky 10-31-2013 04:00 PM

Having spent allot of time behind the wheel of a C7 vette I can say that they are such different animals that you cant compare. The Vette is a grin machine for sure and I always have a ball driving them but the difference in refinement and feel between the 2 cars is night and day.

Both are terrific cars for the money. I think it depends on what you like better.

TurboBill911 10-31-2013 04:16 PM

Marc your the guy I need to talk to. First, which c7 did you drive and did you get any twisty roads? Does the vette do just about as good on the twisties as the all wheel drive 911? Also kind of stupid question what did you think of the stereo and the way the c7 feels?

Marc Gelefsky 10-31-2013 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill,

I had a Z51 7 speed manual Vette to play with for a while, had all the options. The Vette handles very well but does not give me the confidence that a 2wd 911 does, never mind the all wheel drive one. The feedback is not nearly as good as a Porsche.
But it sure was fun in the twisties. The C7 has a nice feel to it, solid and the interior is a huge step in the right direction. Funny thing about Vette's is when I drive one for a long period of time they start to wear on me. I can drive a Porsche all day.
MSRP was around 72K I think

As far as the stereo I never really bothered with it because the exhaust sound was amazing!

Here is the car in my driveway :)

ZX9RCAM 10-31-2013 04:36 PM

That yellow SHORE looks good!

TurboBill911 10-31-2013 04:52 PM

Dang marc, you are making this hard you say how good the 911 does in the twisties then you post a pic of the color of the vette I ordered. Where is the bang head smiley? Come on you didn't turn on the stereo once?

philooo 10-31-2013 04:56 PM

very different cars.

New vette = warranty = no headache = big depreciation
Old 911 = no warranty = yes headache = very little to no depreciation

If you have time to play with the turbo go for it, if it is a daily and need reliable transportation go for the vette.

I bet the turbo will be reliable but it could potentially not be so, think about that one.

Marc Gelefsky 10-31-2013 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by TurboBill911 (Post 10871793)
Dang marc, you are making this hard you say how good the 911 does in the twisties then you post a pic of the color of the vette I ordered. Where is the bang head smiley? Come on you didn't turn on the stereo once?

I had the stereo on in the background, really the exhaust in Sport mode is THAT intoxicating.

The Vette looks great. drove well and is a huge amount of fun to drive but I am a long time Porsche fanatic so I may be biased.

TurboBill911 10-31-2013 05:03 PM

ok here is the deciding factor which one got more chick attention? :D

Marc Gelefsky 10-31-2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by TurboBill911 (Post 10871820)
ok here is the deciding factor which one got more chick attention? :D

Depends on the quality of the chick :D

Dennis C 10-31-2013 05:10 PM

They may attract different kinds of chicks...

Marc Gelefsky 10-31-2013 05:12 PM

And if you get a vette than you need to buy the accessories, gold chains, Members only jacket. Probably going to need some polyester shirts.

:icon107:

2K7TTMIA 10-31-2013 05:25 PM

After a thorough PPI, if you can get the Turbo for a good to great deal, I say go for the Turbo for a year or two. The C7 will be established in the market and you can pry get a better deal then if you desire to try one out. Also, a 997 or 991 may be within your range.
GL