Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Turn signal / blinker socket source (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/782243-turn-signal-blinker-socket-source.html)

sjg1138 10-20-2013 11:50 AM

Turn signal / blinker socket source

Does anyone know where I can purchase a front turn signal bulb socket/holder? This is the socket which has two wires (black and brown) coming off of it going to a small connector a few inches away on the headlight assembly. I'm having intermittent turn signal failures on my '99 cabriolet (fast blink on passenger side).

I have spent a bunch of time diagnosing this and believe the issue is with the two-pin female connector that plugs into the headlight assembly near the bulb holder but figured I would replace the bulb holder at the same time.

Seems that Porsche does not sell the bulb holder separately, I was able to find the two-pin female pin connector on a Mercedes site (the male side is on the headlight assembly) but am having a hard time finding the bulb holder itself (it twists into the headlight assembly and holds the bulb).

sjg1138 10-21-2013 01:50 PM

Anyone? Ideas? This is for Non-Lintronic. Just the standard lights. Really need to fix this turn-signal issue.

targa996 10-21-2013 02:49 PM

Just bend the metal spring contacts out a bit with a small screwdriver ... Fixed mine and has been working for a year now

AVK996 04-15-2018 09:39 PM

Hi sjg1138 did you ever figure out where to get the bulb socket? I am rewiring the whole headlight and cant find the part. I know its hella 146123 but i cant find it anywhere. Also could you tell me the info for the connector? You mentioned it was a mercedes part? Thanks!!!

islaTurbine 12-15-2018 01:32 PM

Bump. I'm possibly having the same issue. The insulation on both the black and brown wires is cracking.

Anesthesioloog 03-16-2024 07:58 PM

I had the same problem with the front right turn signal on my 996 4S. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. However, with the hazard lights switched on, it worked normally on the right front.
I had already been to the dealer for this. The contact point of the unit was sprayed with contact spray and the problem was resolved. However, after a while the problem started again. Everything was checked again by the dealer and resolved with the message that if it were to happen again, a new headlight unit would be required. For this type it is around €2500 for 1 unit…
After a while it started happening again. The signal for the right indicators then flashes like crazy. Again only the right front indicator that does not work. After pressing the headlight unit, the flashing light in the unit started working again. That was only temporary.
I had already looked at it myself. During an earlier disassembly I saw that the pin in the headlight unit that corresponded with the female pin at the bottom left (when you are standing in front of the car) of the connector in the bracket in the car was bent. Half-rolled, caused after replacement by the dealer. I bent it straight again and reinstalled the unit with temporary effect. By occasionally pushing the right headlight unit, the flashing light problem was always resolved. But after a while this no longer helped and I noticed that when I checked the hazard lights, they no longer worked on the right front. So my conclusion was that the light must be broken.
Unit out. And then applied everything that is recommended on the various sites.
Removed the flashing light socket from the unit and bent the contacts in the unit further inwards on site. There are 2, these must make contact when the flashing light is replaced. I had done this before, but apparently not bent far enough. They were both at the actual size of the opening. Now bent 'extremely far' inwards, so that I had contacts bent inwards by at least 5 mm. The two contacts probably have a different function, one for the flashing light signal and the other for the alarm. When the alarm sounded, the pace was normal (the right front flashing light worked) and the flashing light did not function (the flashing signal in the dashboard went twice as fast). So there will be different relays for this. The indicator light holder looked good, nothing wrong with the light. This additional bending would probably have been sufficient. However, the second option from the internet was also applied.

Also bend the female connector pins (these are in the connector in the car in the bracket) towards each other with a very fine screwdriver. For me, the one at the bottom on the outside was bent the most apart.
I sanded the male connector pins in the headlight unit slightly with fine sandpaper.

I noticed that there was play in the horizontal direction of the connector on the bracket in the car. This could be moved 5mm to the left and to the right. There is a rubber seal on the connector. This one seemed fine. There is a kind of extra edge for this, which disappears into the headlight unit. In my case the seal is colored orange and this extra edge is lilac. On the outside (right side of the car) of the connector I saw that this lilac edge was damaged. I therefore concluded that the connector had to be placed horizontally towards the center of the car. When previously installed, the connector was apparently to the outside, causing the edge of the headlight unit to damage the edge of the connector when an attempt was made to press it. I removed the slack by placing a large bamboo (does not rot) satay stick on the right side of the car (left side when you are standing in front of it) on that side between the bracket holder and the connector. This no longer gave any play in the horizontal plane. Excess protruding part of the bamboo stick is cut off.
The bracket plate also had some flexibility in the vertical direction on the outside rear (rear left if you stand in front of it) I estimate about 8mm. I placed a few felt pads on top of each other there (under the bottom bracket plate), which you normally stick under the chair legs to prevent scratches. This gave virtually no play in the vertical direction.
Unit replaced. Checked everything and everything works again.
Maybe someday I will replace these items with rubber items. Although this solution now works without any backlash. So it can no longer vibrate loose.

Anesthesioloog 03-16-2024 08:02 PM

https://www.design911shop.com/nl/p/p...0aAoDYEALw_wcB