New Porsche Owner - First Oil, Spark Plugs, and Coils Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Howi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Porsche Owner - First Oil, Spark Plugs, and Coils Change

Hello Rennlist,

Nice to meet you all! I just purchased my first Porsche in late August but have been away on a long trip and have just returned to SoCal recently. I finally got to really drive and enjoy the car now.

It's an 2003 C2 with 75,xxx mi and full leather, manual. As soon as I bought the car I dropped it off at 911 Design of Montclair in SoCal for Loren Beggs to install an IMSB (LN Engineering), RMS and throw out bearing. I just wanted a piece of mind and not have to deal with this mess. Loren is one of the few guys I would hand my keys to without worries. I can always count on him.

Part of the enjoyment for car ownership is also its maintenance. This past weekend, I was very excited to change oil, spark plugs and coils for the first time. It was really too much fun. I've been so busy the past few years with the businesses that I forgot how much fun this is.

Car checks in Howi's garage at noon:

Looked around under the hood, looks to be in pretty good shape!

Yummm

Took the wheels off for the firs time, looks good.

Passenger side, plug #4 is well hidden:

Driver side, plug #1 is well hidden:

Since this is my first time working on a Porsche, I was being very careful and took my time. The changes took about 6 hours to complete. The job was easy and straight forward, but does require patience. The car is looking and feeling great at the end of the day:

The most interesting finds were

1.) Ignition coil #4 had 1 of 2 mounting screws missing. Perhaps the previous Indy or Dealer got lazy and gave up?

2.) Spark plug #1 was a Beru plug while the rest are Bosche. Could the Beru be the original OEM plug from the factory, 75,xxx mi ago? Again, did the previous Indy or Dealer get lazy?

The findings were shocking to me. I'm hoping the previous owner of my car is on this board and perhaps can share some light.

The car is in really great overall shape, especially its interior. The engine pulls strong and the car drives very well. The paint has been redone and not done well. Certain panels have been repainted and the color is slightly off from the other panels (noticeable under certain lighting conditions). There is also 1 visible blend line. But none of this really matters to me, that's why I bought the car for a good price.

The spark plug and coil do bother me though. It makes me wonder what other shady work has been performed on this car in the past. Stuff like this makes it very difficult for me to trust anyone with the exception of a few. When I do the work myself, I feel like I'm in control. Not to mention it's relaxing and enjoyable for me.

Anyways, just wanted to share, overall very happy Porsche owner here.

Howi
Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Howi
Track Day

Oh, I forgot to add! When I first bought the car, I noticed that the CEL came on twice. Both times were Cylinder 1 Misfire events.

I cleared the CEL myself. The more I drove, the better the car ran. After a couple of weeks the CEL went away.

Because of this, I've always suspected something funny happening there, that's why I purchased new plugs and coils. I couldn't believe that I found a Beru plug in Cyinder #1. Goes to show how sensitive and well designed the Porsche diagnostic system is!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM
toms59
7th Gear

good job
Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Beru could have been an attempt at a fix for the cyl #1 misfire and the problem could have been the coil instead. I know Porsche says change both at the same time but not everyone follows the directions.

I enjoy working on my car too.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:17 PM
rglbegl
Racer

I have that same color/wheel combination.
My favorite color. Looks great. Welcome to the addiction
Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Beautiful car and nice job!

Q: Why do you keep the Jesus statue in the wheel well?
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2013, 05:46 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911

Funny! Made me look.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Howi
Track Day

Thank you very much for the compliment everyone!

The grey is also my favorite color! This is my previous car (coincidentally also 5 spoke wheels):

Originally Posted by ditto
The Beru could have been an attempt at a fix for the cyl #1 misfire and the problem could have been the coil instead. I know Porsche says change both at the same time but not everyone follows the directions.

I enjoy working on my car too.
Wow, that's a very possible situation! Thanks for sharing!

It actually makes a lot of sense because I took macro photos of both plugs. I was wondering perhaps my theory was flawed because the Beru plug looks much newer than the rest:

Beru plug (Cyl #1):

Bosche plug(Cyl #4):

Your theory sounds pretty legit!

Originally Posted by Cuda911
HUH? I totally missed the joke.... I think...
Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Funny! Made me look.
+1 LOL
Old 10-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Beautiful car!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Howi
Track Day

I still don't get it!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Howi
I still don't get it!!!
The area where the red arrow is pointing to, doesn't it look like Jesus in a white gown? You may need a little imagination though
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Originally Posted by Howi
Thank you very much for the compliment everyone!
The grey is also my favorite color! This is my previous car (coincidentally also 5 spoke wheels): . . . . . . ..
My previous car was a Wankel, but i needed a back seat, so it was an RX8
Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Howi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ahsai
The area where the red arrow is pointing to, doesn't it look like Jesus in a white gown? You may need a little imagination though
LOL...

Originally Posted by rglbegl
My previous car was a Wankel, but i needed a back seat, so it was an RX8
I love the RX-8, IMO one of the best cars ever made.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You have a sharp looking car there.
I just put 6 new BERU plugs in mine and I use the same oil as you do. Also put new sleeves in (just because I had them) . On the first coil that I removed, the one nearest to the passenger seat. , a different screw to all the others had been used and not very successfully I might add. It does not fully tighten. I bought the proper one today. I did not put new coils in. The plugs I took out looked pretty good and the sleeves were definitely good. BUT the difference now in the cars response is amazing. I am about to do my engine mounts just because I love working on my car the same as you do. Hey I am 72 years of age haha. Was it Jesus who messed with your coil screw? If I had known he was under there, I would have knelt next to the car and prayed that he would change the plugs coz mine was the hardest DIY I ever did. I removed the mufflers as well. lol.

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner - First Oil, Spark Plugs, and Coils Change