996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Gambled and Lost

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think any time a man is called a vulture, he is owed an opportunity to respond.

Rob
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

^ very much agreed.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do some of you continue to bust Jakes @#$!@, when all hes ever done is help the 996 community and run an honest business? While I do agree that the "solution" is overkill and too expensive, its his business to market and sell as he chooses. If people dont like it, just replace the stupid IMSB with every clutch change and consider it PM.

Jake please take the critics as people just being haters and jealous of your Porsche research and innovations. Remember there are many of us on here that are "gearheads" like Imre said that really enjoy figuring things out, learning from others, and trying alternatives. Guys STOP GIVING JR A HARD TIME BEFORE HE WASHES HIS HANDS OF THE WHOLE 996 FORUM!

JMHO of course, with the usual disclaimers.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robrichtx
I think any time a man is called a vulture, he is owed an opportunity to respond.

Rob
And any time that man says I don't need to respond, then promptly does with a lot of verbiage (some being diarrhea) then maybe he should reevaluate.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

There is another "club" that has a saying: "It's hard to be humble when you are the worlds finest!"

Jake you are doing great!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
There is another "club" that has a saying: "It's hard to be humble when you are the worlds finest!"

Jake you are doing great!
I earned that title, too.. Passed through the portals and nothing has been the same since.

That said, the original poster can feel a little better now, knowing that someone else also "gambled and won" on their IMS SOlution install that we were carrying out today. That is, until it also failed the pre-qualification evaluation with a significantly important component found in the oil.

This makes two in a row that we've "downed", but both had zero symptoms and could have been retrofitted if someone did not qualify engines before carrying out their procedures.

So.. who can name that part? Its been munched by a scavenge pump and part of it is still missing, but anyone that knows the inside of these engines could tell what it is even blindfolded.

The owner of this car just had us install an IMS SOlution in his other 996 two weeks ago, which passed the evaluation just fine. I am not looking forward to his return phone call and having to tell him that though the engine ran fine on the way here, and has no symptoms, that it is failing.

BTW- Overkill doesn't exist. At least not in the crazy world that I populate.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

is that a piece of the double row IMS bearing ?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Jake, do you think these would have been caught by the IMS guardian if there was one? Looks like they would from their sizes.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The IMSG would have more than likely given an alert for this if it had been employed.

This is not a piece of IMSB if it were we would not have halted the procedures and just retrofitted it.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The IMSG would have more than likely given an alert for this if it had been employed.

This is not a piece of IMSB if it were we would not have halted the procedures and just retrofitted it.
Make sense and thanks for confirming, Jake.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Peter_S03
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Hurdigurdiman , and speak from experience , a bad one !!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:47 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not a piece of the oil cooler is it?

Jake has been stand up on every account I have ever read about. Not once have I read anyone that had any service from him post he was ripped off. So to those that say stuff like that, with the usual uninformed self righteous indignation, I say grow a pair. Your comments are embarrassing.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks like a valve keeper! Whats that at the top edge of the pan?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Looks like a valve keeper! Whats that at the top edge of the pan?
Bingo! What's left of one. One of the valves in this engine is only being retained by a single keeper.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
The information can be helpful; worrying never changes any outcome.

We stopped going to a cancer survivor's support group because every time a "survivor" was no longer with us it would set my wife to worrying that she'd be next. The truth is that only people with cancer or their caregivers attended the group, so really, what kind of news would we expect to be typical?

Forums are biased and here we have many more posts about "help" or "I think this is broken" and "I think this might break".

One thing that helps me avoid anxiety over 996 ownership is to drive them. Took the C4S for a drive to nowhere for a couple of hours today, what a pleasure. I also hold the unsubstantiated belief that the best way to avoid many problems with these cars is to drive them. I have had very few issues with my C2 and until the C4S arrived the C2 was driven every single day.

Enjoy your red beauty!
Well said!

Quick Reply: Gambled and Lost