What are these small bits??

Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What are these small bits??

Hi All,

Oil change - no metal.

But, I found these little bits - they look brown and they seem to be plastic.

Can one of you pro's fill me in?

Thanks so much.

Ray
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

If they are amber in color prolly can chain tensioner material. Is that a large paper clip or a small paper clip.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Small paper clip....
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Looks like pieces from worn chain tensioner guides, as mentioned above.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Hi Dennis,

You say worn......do those bits mean that it is "worn" - because the car has 45K on it. Seems premature for them to be worn....street car - no track time.

"Normal" wear for tensioner guides?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Soaringman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some of those in my filter too, Indy said don't worry. Maybe from an over rev or two, although mine had no over revs.
I would be more worried how the paper clip got into your engine, Disgruntled ex?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 PM
sheatley
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Soaringman
I had some of those in my filter too, Indy said don't worry. Maybe from an over rev or two, although mine had no over revs.
I would be more worried how the paper clip got into your engine, Disgruntled ex?
That is a great response
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Ha....awesome comment.....don't have an X yet.....will if I have an IMS failure....
Old 09-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

The chain tensioner pads are polymer. They break down with use and with age. Here's a pic showing a worn tensioner alongside a new replacement part that is being installed during an engine rebuild.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

That "old" tensioner pad or cover is worn but only to the point the chain side plates have eaten enough plastic away to the point the chain rollers now roll on the smooth center section between the grooves.

That new cover will look the same in no time once it is put into service.

BTW, the covers on the VarioCam actuator out of my Boxster looked like that one on the right with around 240K miles on the engine. They were essentially unworn. They do not wear. Barring a mechanical failure to a problem with the material or a tensioner failure that results in a mechanical failure they'll easy last the life of the engine.

Might mention the time of highest risk the cover or pad will suffer a mechanical failure is when it is new and going through the phase the chain side plates are wearing their grooves into the face.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by 996Ray
Hi Dennis,

You say worn......do those bits mean that it is "worn" - because the car has 45K on it. Seems premature for them to be worn....street car - no track time.

"Normal" wear for tensioner guides?

Thanks
The chain tensioner pads/covers can shed a bit of plastic every so often. The trailing edge where the chain runs off can loose bits over time.

The engine can probably go several to many oil changes and you would *not* find any of that material in the filter at all.

Last edited by Macster; 09-29-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added: *not* (sigh...)
Old 09-29-2013, 01:44 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I always have at least one of those plastic bits. They usually get pretty flattened by the time they're in the filter. Wouldn't worry.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No one mentioned the IMS side pieces to hold in the ball bearings grease. Don't know if those are plastic. I have read that the side pieces can break down and maybe find its way into the oil filter. Just another thought.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
996Ray
Instructor

Oh Hurdi......just when I was feeling OK about it.

Dennis - thanks for the pic - that is awesome.

Macster - I appreciate your comments. They make sense to be.

Between the photo and Macster's comments, I now understand fully what is going on.

You guys rock! Thanks!!

Ray
Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Macster
Race Director

Really I do not see anything in your picture to be worried about. A few bits, crumbs of composite plastic chain guide cladding is nothing. Now if if there had been more of it, perhaps mixed with some light green bits of rubber like material which is tensioner o-ring this could have signaled the pending failure of a tensioner which can let the chain run with too much slack which can hammer on the plastic and bust it up.

You do not even know if the bits are "fresh" or have been in the oil sump since the engine was started the first time in the factory and were carried into the oil pick up tube opening by oil flow and ended up in the filter (as they should that's the filter's job).

If you are feeling anxious run the engine a while -- how long is a while? Up to you. Idle until warmed up? 25 miles? 50 miles? 100 miles? Up to you. Anyhow, then carefully remove the filter housing and dump the contents out into a *clean* drain pan and see what you see.

If free of any bits of anything that's cool.

If there are more plastic bits well, you can think about what to do then provided you find any bits again. I do not think you'll find anything in the oil to be worried about.

You'll have to replace the filter and o-ring with new ones but this is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

'course, I have to add you can always consult with your trusted mechanic and get his advice.

Also, while I do not expect this I have to remind you that if at any time the engine's sound changes for the worse you need to shut off the engine first and ask questions later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are these small bits??