Sponsored by:

Eternal IMS Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by trisgale
What about this oil feed flange that lubes your bearing?

http://tunersmotorsports.com/?page_id=103
I wish this was available when I put my LN bearing in. Belt and suspenders!!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
I wish this was available when I put my LN bearing in. Belt and suspenders!!
Actually this is suppose to be compatible with your LN bearing so you could always put this in during your next clutch change if you wanna backup to a backup.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting, it seems the available options are growing. I know I will need a clutch soon (81,000 mi on original and still doesn't slip!) and want to do something then, but it seems there is something I don't like about every kit.

Problems as I see them:

EPS Roller - Does not address poor lubrication issue, no detail about "thrust control" I'm guessing there is some thrust load there, why else would Porsche have used a ball bearing and not a roller bearing to begin with? Need lots more details to fully judge/evaluate which are not on website.

Tune RS DOF - While not as expensive as the Solution, still not cheap, and does not replace my old worn bearing. Also, I'm not a fan of Zinc plated steel. It never seems to be as robust against corrosion as advertised. I'd rather see Stainless or Aluminum.

Ceramic Hybrid - Still known to fail (arguably due to instillation, I know), still recommended to be changed with every clutch. I want a one and done fix. I plan on having this car for a very long time.

Solution - Expensive, and while Jake seems to be extremely concerned about reputation which is admirable, there is little warranty on the unit. It's great to come on this board and discuss and defend your product, but a a strong warranty would speak even louder. (Also, I'm a bit leery since I'm 1/2 convinced my Guardian is leaking. However, I really can't be certain it's not oil from the RMS dribbling down the wire, so I haven't contacted LN or Flat 6)
Old 08-23-2013, 11:46 PM
thepenguin99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woops wrong thread.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:03 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570
Interesting, it seems the available options are growing. I know I will need a clutch soon (81,000 mi on original and still doesn't slip!) and want to do something then, but it seems there is something I don't like about every kit.

Problems as I see them:

EPS Roller - Does not address poor lubrication issue, no detail about "thrust control" I'm guessing there is some thrust load there, why else would Porsche have used a ball bearing and not a roller bearing to begin with? Need lots more details to fully judge/evaluate which are not on website.

Tune RS DOF - While not as expensive as the Solution, still not cheap, and does not replace my old worn bearing. Also, I'm not a fan of Zinc plated steel. It never seems to be as robust against corrosion as advertised. I'd rather see Stainless or Aluminum.

Ceramic Hybrid - Still known to fail (arguably due to instillation, I know), still recommended to be changed with every clutch. I want a one and done fix. I plan on having this car for a very long time.

Solution - Expensive, and while Jake seems to be extremely concerned about reputation which is admirable, there is little warranty on the unit. It's great to come on this board and discuss and defend your product, but a a strong warranty would speak even louder. (Also, I'm a bit leery since I'm 1/2 convinced my Guardian is leaking. However, I really can't be certain it's not oil from the RMS dribbling down the wire, so I haven't contacted LN or Flat 6)
Look at the site. Comes with new stock or ceramic bearing.
http://tunersmotorsports.com/?page_id=103
Also discussion on Pelican with manufacturer
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...injection.html
Old 08-24-2013, 01:00 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570

Problems as I see them:

I found another, seems pretty robust, but cannot read the language. Insario. http://www.insaroims.com/ims-upgrade.php
Old 08-24-2013, 02:40 AM
trisgale
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
I found another, seems pretty robust, but cannot read the language. Insario. http://www.insaroims.com/ims-upgrade.php
I put it on google translate and I think it is a dual bearing design, so if one fails the other will still keep the shaft in place so it won't damage the engine.

google translate:

Insaro redesigning also contributes an axis of 20mm, with lugs notice subframe and bearing reinforced ceramic, a second bearing that would subject the shaft in case of breakage of the first bearing, thus preventing sagging of the chain assembly and breakage engine. If such a failure occurs, the shaft would rub against 5 Bosses at the outdoor portaejes producing sound volume and high frequencies would alert the owner of the vehicle quickly.

The major contribution of this new design is the inclusion of a second bearing, which, in case of breakage of the first bearing shaft would prevent off-hook with subsequent engine failure. This second bearing is combined, ball and roller, tougher even than the ball bearing silicon nitride.

In case of breakage of the main bearing, the shaft bearing support in combination, preventing sagging and breaking of the same engine. Also, the lugs 5 provided on the outer circumference of the subframe part, avoid axial movement of the intermediate shaft and in turn generate a vibration that would be a warning of the failure of the part. This alert should be enough to turn off engine and go to a specialized center.

The new design piece Insaro has a 2 year warranty, plus 1 additional year free extended warranty, why, any breakage, defect, or damage of any component will be replaced free of charge.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:08 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think a sealed ceramic hybrid bearing is the ticket. When oil enter the bearing, the seals will act as a barrier and keep the oil inside. Without the seals, any oil that accumulates inside the bearing when the engine is shut off will be displaced through centrifugal force as soon as the engine is running. I do not think splash lubrication is adequate.
Sorry, but you couldnt be more wrong about this. Anyone whose had this apart will know why.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:13 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KrazyK

Sorry, but you couldnt be more wrong about this. Anyone whose had this apart will know why.
And those that have reached a zen state will live in eternal bliss...why do you always speak in tongues? Just explain what you know, instead of keeping everything a big mystery.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

I really like the direct oil feed system from Tune RS. This looks to certainly be the evolution of what "feelyx" developed and shared over on Pelican (note: I am just assuming that this was the evolution of feelyx's work. It is also possible that Tune RS developed it seperately):

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...sign-idea.html

The issue with the bearing is not load capacity, it is lubrication issues that may crop up. The possible scenarios for lubrication issues have been discussed ad nauseum. The ceramic hybrid bearings do better because they have much better tolerance of low lubrication.

I like the Tune RS system because:

1) It can be used with the stock bearing or a hybrid ceramic bearing (choice is good)

2) It can be used on the M97 engines, which is the first IMS upgrade that can be added on without major engine disassembly to the M97 (that I know about)

3) If the oil feed line becomes compromised (e.g. crimped, or develops a leak) then the bearing will continue much like the stock unit. The plain bearing of the IMS solution will fail very quickly if anything significant happens to the oil feed. Not terribly likely, but anytime there is external plumbing in the oil system it is a risk.

4) This system is available to DIY'ers. Nothing wrong with getting a pro to do a job like this, but it is well within the capability of knowledgable and careful home mechanics too and I am happy that I can buy it.

That said, periodic bearing replacement or the LN solution are good options as well.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 AM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 above
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excellence Magazine Technical Article

Originally Posted by Ben Z
He said there would be an article on their bearing in an upcoming Excellence.
I respectfully disagree with the above statement, we have yet to commit to an article on this product.

Sincerely,
Tony Callas
Technical Editor, Excellence Magazine
Old 08-25-2013, 01:45 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-25-2013, 02:14 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TCallas

I respectfully disagree with the above statement, we have yet to commit to an article on this product.

Sincerely,
Tony Callas
Hi Tony,
Why not an article on all the various versions and testing of new and innovative designs ( the Feelyx thread on the Pelican site is phenomenal, was like reading a good novel) of the IMSB retrofit possibilities? There are a lot of engines out there with this design = great readership interest. This thread has already pointed out numerous possibilities.
Dave
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DCQT
I think a sealed ceramic hybrid bearing is the ticket. When oil enter the bearing, the seals will act as a barrier and keep the oil inside. Without the seals, any oil that accumulates inside the bearing when the engine is shut off will be displaced through centrifugal force as soon as the engine is running. I do not think splash lubrication is adequate.
I don't understand why you think that if the seals can let oil in, that it won't also let it out. But if it did retain the oil, why would you want the same dirty oil to stay inside the bearing rather than have it continually flushed out, and replaced with clean oil at each oil change? I would agree that splash lubrication is not adequate with a steel bearing, but that's precisely the why the ceramic was chosen for this application.

Originally Posted by TCallas

Sincerely,
Tony Callas
Tony, that's what the Vertex guy said on the 'phone. I was not vouching for him, merely repeating what he told me.

Quick Reply: Eternal IMS Fix?