Sponsored by:

Odd water "leak" - rear window coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 AM
SHF1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd water "leak" - rear window coupe

I was wondering if anyone had experienced a water "leak" at the top seal of the rear window of a coupe. The water is not leaking into the interior of the car - it just appears at the top of the rear window on the outside (almost dead center) from the seal and then runs down the rear window.

This isn't a super high priority problem - but I am very curious about the source of the water.

Scenario -
  • Friday - Drove car in the rain and it sat outside for a few hours.
  • Saturday - Didn't drive the car. It just sat in the garage all day (temp was mid 70's)
  • Sunday - Drove the car - Car sat outside all day in the sun (temp mid 80's)
  • Monday - Drove car - car sat for 2-3 hours outside in sun. it was low 80's. The water drops appeared as I was accelerating onto the freeway.

Attempted Solutions
  • Checked sunroof drains - I've had the dealer check the sunroof drains - which were fine.
  • Cleaned sunroof opening area - I cleaned everything you can get at with the roof open.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That's likely the point of the HIGHEST vacuum, boundary layer "breakaway", formed by the airflow over the top of your car. Sorta like the vapor trail formed by the vortex off the wingtip of an airplane slicing through the air at high speed.

Humidity was in the 90% plus range, HOT, A/C was going strong and inadvertently(***) CHILLING the front windshield.

*** Design flaw...

Purely a guess, an outlandish one, for sure.

In my case condensation began forming on the exterior surface of the windshield just after dusk one hot and HUMID late evening in Alabama having left Porsche east coast POE about noon with the A/C on the whole time.To avoid front passenger discomfort the Porsche climate control opens ALL system airflow outlets to most widely disperse the cool and dry airflow. That can mean a CHILLED windshield in a very short period.

In your case not quite enough to reach the dewpoint and the boundary layer breakaway vortex did the rest.

On the other hand it might have been simply that same vacuum pulling, "lifting", what little water remained inside the sunroof post rainfall.....

Last edited by wwest; 08-06-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Odd water "leak" - rear window coupe