Sponsored by:

Engine additive

Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine additive

I am noticing some valve noise and am considering an additive at the next oil change. Any suggestions for additive Advice much appreciated
Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I am noticing some valve noise and am considering an additive at the next oil change. Any suggestions for additive Advice much appreciated
Change the oil. Fresh oil quiets an engine. Oil with miles gets diluted with unburned gasoline and water. The oil becomes less viscous and the engine becomes noisier.

The only way to remove this fluid contamination is to drain the oil and replace it with fresh oil.

Some techs advise for cars that are not run but infrequently to use Swepco 502 oil improver. I tried this a couple of times in my engines and noticed no difference in startup noise but my cars get driven very frequently.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply, my car is a DD and the oil is changed between 3K and 5K miles regularly. I am just trying to stay a half a step ahead of the game
Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
Thanks for the reply, my car is a DD and the oil is changed between 3K and 5K miles regularly. I am just trying to stay a half a step ahead of the game
You are already doing what you can to avoid any serious engine trouble and accelerated or premature engine wear. About the only thing you do in addition would be to sell the car.

Relax.

Continue to enjoy the car and continue to service it as you have been.

While there is no guarantee the engine will live to a ripe old age and during its life deliver trouble free service the odds are in its favor.

And yours.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mac, you are correct, just trying to minimize future difficulties. Your words are comforting
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take a look at BG MOA. It has a rather staunch following, but I've never used it. I do use Lubro Moly MOS2 in my other cars and they quieter. Didn't use in the Porsche however.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be worried if I DIDN'T get some lifter noise on startup. A little valve clatter, a little chain slap, thats just Brunhilde (yes her name is Brunhilde) saying she's ready to go!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are thinking of an additive to quieten an engine then its time to think about having the engine stripped and worked on. Unless you want to play the ostrich and bury your head in the sand because that is what you are doing. I am not saying that you are but if you were selling the car, would you put in the additive and not tell the new buyer? Either get the necessary work done on the engine or live with the sound. Hey that's O I M H O however. Peace bro.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine additive