996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Targa Rear Window Gas-Pressure Springs Failing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 AM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I worked with a guy named Lou, email me if you'd like his contact info. Very helpful, was able to choose the right lifts for me after I provided dimensions and some pics of the gas springs. He also put the electrical connectors on the springs, I imagine they're for the rear defrosters.

-Chris
hbchristopher@gmail.com
The following users liked this post:
zoomyracecar (10-31-2021)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 PM
iatros2
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Gibney

And if there is some demand that they may include the Targa in the drop-down menus
I noticed that too, so which option does one choose for the Targa fitment?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Probably best to contact them.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:27 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Also have this problem -- QUESTIONS

My lift supports to the rear glass hatch on my 02 996 Targa are also failing.
CHRIS - thanks for tracking that down and posting it.

Yep, the left and right sides have different numbers per Stabilus (0694SB and 0695SX) -- and they are incredibly expensive.

They have electrical contacts on the ends (Stabilus calls these "ElectroLift"), and they evidently provide inputs maybe for the courtesy light and probably the rear glass defroster.

I checked LiftSupportsDepot.com and they do indeed list the Targa, but they say to contact them for info -- which I did (awaiting response).

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
1) Did you get some type of external spring from LiftSupportsDepot that fits over the lifts, or did they send you whole new lift for $18?
2) Did you find any difference in rear defrost and courtesy lights after installing the new stuff?

Pictures of the LiftSupport replacements would be good, if possible.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:50 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Stasha,

They were able to give me brand new gas springs with the electrical connectors for $18 each. Didn't have any problems with the courtesy lights or rear defrosters afterwards. The only issue I've had is that the springs aren't as smooth as the stock ones, i.e. the hatch will open/close slowly with varying force along the way.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Stasha,

They were able to give me brand new gas springs with the electrical connectors for $18 each. Didn't have any problems with the courtesy lights or rear defrosters afterwards. The only issue I've had is that the springs aren't as smooth as the stock ones, i.e. the hatch will open/close slowly with varying force along the way.

Thanks,
Chris
Thanks. It's worth a try - versus $250+ EACH. How many REAL performance parts would that buy!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I just ordered a set of rear glass gas springs for my '04 Targa from LiftSupportsDepot. They're $28 each now, as opposed to $18 as mentioned previously, but that's better than the OEM price. I'll post back here with my impressions once I get them installed in the next week or so (they'll probably be just fine).
Old 04-14-2018, 11:12 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Anyone try NAPA?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

I received the replacements from Lift Supports Depot and they're great. They're super strong, and the glass actually "pops" open now when I press the release button! All it takes is one finger to lift the glass a couple of inches and the springs take over from there. I love them - especially for the price.

I did learn a couple of things during the installation process though...

At least on my 2004 Targa, Porsche has soldered one end of the electrical connector - where it connects to the spring on the shaft end. Instead of desoldering the connector and resoldering it onto the new gas springs, I found that you can actually unscrew the "socket" from the shaft and pull the whole electrical connector off. I ended up doing this with the OEM springs and simply swapping the whole connector "ring" with the ones on the new springs. I'm attaching a handful of photos that will hopefully help.

Because you can unscrew the "socket" ends from these springs, I see no reason why you couldn't buy your springs from anywhere - as long as they're the proper length - and then move the electrical connectors over from the OEM springs. However, I will say that after talking with Lou over at Lift Supports Direct, it may be worth buying from him just for the peace of mind. He seems like a really nice guy, and he's very quick to respond!

Last edited by Fixxxer; 04-20-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:36 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

+1 for Lift Supports Depot. Had a set sat on my bench to be installed for months, and finally did it today. Perfect fit, re-soldered mine rather than replace the connector since the solder work at one side needed replacing
Old 08-23-2019, 12:12 AM
Idaho911
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

Just wanted to add another +1 to the Lift Supports Depot. I ordered a set of struts on Friday, received them on Monday and just installed them. Took less than 20 minutes. Thanks to Fixxxer for the tip about swapping the electrical connectors over. The solder on both of mine were good so it made it even easier.

One thing to note is the price has gone up: They're now $69.00 for a pair. Still far better than the $500.00+ for the Porsche ones!
Fixxxer (08-24-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 02:34 AM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Hate to be devils advocate here, I have a 2002 Targa po bragged about how much he saved on hatch shocks. They are so stiff that I have to watch it like hawk if I am with another person. Some person who puts there hand on one edge to shut the hatch will break the glass. Its thin and you can see it bend. It must be shut with two hands. Any of the top or rear glass breaks you are gonna be in a world of trouble. Ever price the rear glass? You don’t want too...
Old 09-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Idaho911
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
Hate to be devils advocate here, I have a 2002 Targa po bragged about how much he saved on hatch shocks. They are so stiff that I have to watch it like hawk if I am with another person. Some person who puts there hand on one edge to shut the hatch will break the glass. Its thin and you can see it bend. It must be shut with two hands. Any of the top or rear glass breaks you are gonna be in a world of trouble. Ever price the rear glass? You don’t want too...

Strange. Are they from LiftSupportDepot? Mine feel virtually identical to stock except now they don't sag.

I usually lower the glass with one hand in the center and then press it down with both hands so the lock engages. Don't know if that's the "proper" method or not.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:51 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

I have a similar issue on the ones for the back of my jeep , they are too much force.
I think they are re-using too many part numbers to reduce inventory/overhead..
Old 03-27-2021, 03:28 PM
recklessunion
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you make the electrical connection?

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Just got a set custom made by Lift Supports Depot (google for webpage), and they work great. Only charged $18/spring vs $250/spring that Porsche was going to charge!
THANK YOU @CJWessing !! I got the same ones thanks to you. Only question is how did you make the electrical connection to the window defroster? Lift supports depot send me little metal rings, but they didn’t send the cable piece. Any help here would be super super appreciated.

Quick Reply: 996 Targa Rear Window Gas-Pressure Springs Failing