Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Answered on the RennTech thread.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by injurylawyer
Jesse at Sunset Porsche actually ran my VIN...I have a '99 C2 and the rebuilt engine is from a '01 (04 6610...)-both would be considered MK1 models.

He crossed referenced both parts and the cable ending in 03 was what was coming up on his computer. I specifically asked him about the 01 that was available and in the car but he insisted that the 03 cable is the proper one for me and I should order that one.

Looking at the 2 cables, the contacts on the 03 cable seem to be broader and heavier a bit. The cable assembly seems to be a bit thicker and ever so slightly shorter than the 01...

The end result is that the cable worked and I am getting normal voltages even under heavy loads.

I trust Sunset completely so I have no doubt they sent you the right cable for your engine. Was just looking for some mapping between MkI,II and -01, -03.

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Well here's something interesting. I kept the old, decrepit cable that I recently replaced. Just went out and looked at the part number on it. Yup, you guessed it: it's an -03. Here's a link to the pic of how bad that cable became. I don't know it's age but obviously it's been replaced before.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...eded/?p=266777

As Ahsai inferred above, it likely won't matter if it's an -01 or -03, the cable will continue to fail. It might be best to start making our own...
Wow, didn't know your failed cable was -03. Oh well, like you said, both versions fail. BTW, just found out the black plastic box at the cable end can be purchased separately for ~$6 (99661120101 porschepartshub) so no worries even if you mess up when trying to remove it. I still have the two failed cables from before so I already got 2 spares
Old 05-08-2015, 02:37 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Wow, didn't know your failed cable was -03. Oh well, like you said, both versions fail. BTW, just found out the black plastic box at the cable end can be purchased separately for ~$6 (99661120101 porschepartshub) so no worries even if you mess up when trying to remove it. I still have the two failed cables from before so I already got 2 spares
Maybe LN or Jake needs to update their product development or lineup to include bulletproof alternator cables too. LOL.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
Maybe LN or Jake needs to update their product development or lineup to include bulletproof alternator cables too. LOL.
and an SCG (Starter Cable Guardian) just to monitor for abnormal voltage drop...going to file a patent now

(for the geeky, all you need is an opamp to compare the v out of the alternator and the voltage at the + jump post. If that exceeds 0.5v, sound the alarm haha)
Old 05-08-2015, 03:17 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

BTW, just found out the black plastic box at the cable end can be purchased separately for ~$6 (99661120101 porschepartshub) so no worries even if you mess up when trying to remove it. I still have the two failed cables from before so I already got 2 spares
Excellent find!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 PM
injurylawyer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ashai-

Thank you for the post again and your replies. YOU are the man!

The work was done yesterday and I just came back from dinner with 90 degree weather in South Florida, A/C blowing, lights and sound system on, going about 13.5V now...better than dropping below 12V which was what was happening.

Suncoast is a Porsche dealer and given the specs of my car, if they said I needed the 03, I agree they are probably right. Really, looking at the 01 and 03 side by side yesterday, the 03 seems to be a little more thick and the contacts seem to be a bit larger and thicker...maybe they designed the slight difference to hold a larger load? Not sure.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Based on the visual failure mode of the cable, it's a high resistance connection between the crimp and the cable conductor that degrades over time where it creates a large enough voltage drop to create head and voltage issues. The more it heats up, the more it drops voltage, the more it degrades.

The new cable obviously has a different lug and they might use a different crimp die also to make the connection better. Over time, all connections will degrade, but it's a matter if this one will exceed the remaining life of your car.

I read this whole post over and it's very informative....just another thing to add to my brain as my wallet has no memory at the present time!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:05 AM
injurylawyer
Intermediate

I trust Sunset completely so I have no doubt they sent you the right cable for your engine. Was just looking for some mapping between MkI,II and -01, -03.

If the 2 cables are interchangeable, the newer one may very well be the 'improved' or most recent permutation of Porsche engineering...

I liken the similarity to what I have heard about the different versions of the water pumps for our cars. I have heard that the Turbo and, for the life of me I cannot recollect the designation of a special edition engine that first appeared on the MK2, both have replacement water pumps with metal impellers rather than the plastic one in the typical stock models (C2 and C4). Now, that being said, assuming that the ones with the plastic impellers have a shorter life span, given my understanding that the two are pumps are essentially interchangeable, why not get the one with the metal impeller since they have a lower failure rate?

Perhaps making the most recent version of the cable a thicker gauge, replacing heavier/larger contacts and making the cable have just a little shorter makes the 03 just a bit better than using the still available 01. I can only hope so...

Still, it is pure speculation...

Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 AM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting. I put the 01 cable in my 2002 and it worked great up until recently when the temp has recently increased here. I bought the cable last spring and I guess i have 20,000kms on it since then. I found that when really warm it hesitates on turn over.
Ill see what the pcar dealer says about that v the ....03 cable and what they can do if anything.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:06 AM
injurylawyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CDLVancouver
Interesting. I put the 01 cable in my 2002 and it worked great up until recently when the temp has recently increased here. I bought the cable last spring and I guess i have 20,000kms on it since then. I found that when really warm it hesitates on turn over.
Ill see what the pcar dealer says about that v the ....03 cable and what they can do if anything.
The one removed from my car was installed by the Indie at the same time the alternator was replaced about 5k miles ago! It was an 01 and I am in South Florida where it hot most of the time...that is the cable that failed and we just replaced same with the 03...working great and crossing my fingers that it will stay that way.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:31 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Ok, so now we've completed all the combinations between mkI, II and -01 and -03....and all of them failed.

@Paul, the -03 is much thicker than the -02 (stock on my car) yet it still failed in 1+ yr with no visible corrosion, the wires were still shiny so that's yet another mystery.

@lawyer, metal impellar is a bad idea as it will mill the engine block when the pump starts to fail and wobble. The stock composite material is fine and it lasts a long time (i would say 60k+ miles and 6+ yrs)

@CDL, please keep us posted what the dealer find. I'm pretty sure your '02 should use the -03. Your cable should be covered by a 2yr warranty if they can determine that it has failed (by voltage drop test).
Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Check out 964Polar's ingenious way to replace the cable in this link. Not sure if I added this link before but before I forget, I added it here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...implified.html
Old 05-15-2020, 04:13 PM
muranomike
Intermediate

Hey guys. I'm just about to order a cable for my 2002 C4 996.
Its confusing which part to get, 99660701901 or 99660701903. Can someone confirm the 03 is the better cable and would work on my model.

I think my alternator is on the way out as my voltage is constantly about 13.1V. I'd like to replace the cable at the same time.
I'm also getting some trouble on hot starts once and a while.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:14 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by muranomike
Hey guys. I'm just about to order a cable for my 2002 C4 996.
Its confusing which part to get, 99660701901 or 99660701903. Can someone confirm the 03 is the better cable and would work on my model.

I think my alternator is on the way out as my voltage is constantly about 13.1V. I'd like to replace the cable at the same time.
I'm also getting some trouble on hot starts once and a while.
It won’t matter either way as either will eventually fail again. I’d personally recommend you just buy the one that’s appropriate for your VIN. Check the PET if you’re unsure.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:23 PM
muranomike
Intermediate

Ok thanks.
Well mine is 18 years old and still might be fine so hopefully it won't be necessary a second time.
All of this work can be done from the engine bay correct?
It looks like on 997 you need to go underneath the car, but not on the 996.

Quick Reply: Updated Alternator/Starter cable