Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Have you tried this method to put your car on 4 jackstands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I've had my cars in for many a service or pre-trip roadworthiness inspection and the techs never lift the cars by any other points other than the lift points.

The only time I can recall I've seen a floor jack used to lift a car at the dealer I use is when I had my totaled Cayman S there and the tech used the floor jack -- the car was not drivable -- to lift the car up so the exotic car adjuster could see -- from a safe point from the side of the car -- the extent of the damage some items under the car.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

So Macster, if the factory designated jackpoints are the only points one could use to lift the car, then for those who want to work on their car but lack a hydraulic lift in their garage, the only solution is to take it to a shop where said lift is available?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
While the location you are using to lift the car may be convenient it is not a proper location to lift the car, not one recognized or sanctioned by the factory, at least not in any of the official service references I have access to.

So your last sentence above should read: "That's the wrong way to jack up the rear of a 996 so this whole discussion is kind of wrong."
wait... there's a sanctioning body for jacking up 911s?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I've had my cars in for many a service or pre-trip roadworthiness inspection and the techs never lift the cars by any other points other than the lift points.

The only time I can recall I've seen a floor jack used to lift a car at the dealer I use is when I had my totaled Cayman S there and the tech used the floor jack -- the car was not drivable -- to lift the car up so the exotic car adjuster could see -- from a safe point from the side of the car -- the extent of the damage some items under the car.
At the annual inspection here they drive the car up on a four pillar lift and then use a built in jacking device to lift each axle to be able to check the suspension with free rolling wheels. When lifting the rear axle they lift it in the cross member under the car. The reason for using this kind of lift is probably due to efficience reasons to be able to get the cars in and out quickly.

Personally I cannot see any risk with lifting the car in the cross member. The entire car is resting on the wheels that are attached to the cross member!

Robert
Old 07-01-2013, 05:00 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Screw it. I'll just put in some 996 cup car air jacks so I don't have to worry about my lift points...
Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
When my car goes up on jack stands, I use that point to get the rear up in the air. I wouldn't feel comfortable supporting the car like that for more than a couple minutes, though.

Here's a visual comparison.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
When my car goes up on jack stands, I use that point to get the rear up in the air. I wouldn't feel comfortable supporting the car like that for more than a couple minutes, though.

Hmm... Wasn't there something about only jacking a car on flat (horizontal) surface? Maybe it's the camera angle but I notice quite a grade on this pic. Plus, the engine is at the "bottom" end.

Quick Reply: Have you tried this method to put your car on 4 jackstands?