Oil Sump Cover Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:10 AM
86Meesta2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Sump Cover Dilemma

Hey all, long time Pelicanite, new to RL but hoping to get some advice here:

Just picked up a '99 with an engine that supposedly has 85k (PO put it in 15k ago and it had 70k when installed). it runs and drives pretty well (makes all the right noises!) but the PO doesn't know the history on when/if anything was replaced, so before I go further I have parked it and will be promptly removing the engine to replace whatever I find that needs replacing. Upon draining the oil I noticed the passenger side rear of the oil sump appeared to be covered in silicone- or so I thought when I inspected the car. Closer inspection reveals it to likely be JB weld . What occurred in this area I can not imagine, but here is the underlying metal that remains after everything was cleaned off (the sump was not leaking before I decided to tear into it, I just want this damage to be fixed properly):

Number one: should I remove the remainder of the JB weld from around the circular plug?
Number two: best procedure for refinishing? I can easily have it TIG welded, and milled flat, and I will definitely have some material added to the outside of the sump where the gouges are worst , but would like to hear other opinions.

BTW sump cover is fine, no damage on it.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hazard a guess someone struck something in the road or ran over an obstacle. While it isn't pretty, if it doesn't leak then maybe clean it up a little and hten leave it alone.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

+1 to leave it alone.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:43 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well thats got to be the ugliest repair on here so far. If you really love the car, drop the engine and replace the engine case(s) but thats alot of work. I admit that this would bother me so much, I would have to replace the engine.
BTW sump cover is fine, no damage on it.
Yeh because someone replaced it.

How did the PPI miss this? What, you bought a 996 without a PPI? OMG that damage alone would have been a 10K discount. I would imagine the PO knows quite well what happened. I think I would ask. Seeing this kind of damage, I would have considered the car having a junk engine and made an offer as such. Or, walked away.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM
86Meesta2
Intermediate

Well, the car was only ~$10k so I think that already is bottom dollar for a car that runs and drives just fine, and doesn't leak any oil. I performed my own PPI and I did notice the glob of goop in that corner. I have thououghly inspected the area to ensure further damage was not present, and have resealed and reinstalled the pan according to spec using appropriate sealant. If oil leak issues arise I will reevaluate.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

ignore krazy. if the jbweld is holding and you can get a good seal out of it, reassemble and drive. Its ugly but so what.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ignore krazy. if the jbweld is holding and you can get a good seal out of it, reassemble and drive. Its ugly but so what.
+1 It looks like they were using a metal cased fiilter and it got hit/caught and dmaged that area.

One point of caution, do not use an excessive amount of sealant when re-installing the sump plate.

I believe Jake has a new engine customer recently who took the sump plate off, reinstalled it with a ton of sealant, which cured, and the excess inside the sump broke off, clogged the oil pickup screen, and killed the motor.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:44 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, the car was only ~$10k
Ok, so it was discounted for the damage. Good deal.

I performed my own PPI
As long as you know what to look for, great.

ignore krazy.
I never said what he had to do, just what I would do. At least you didnt tell him to hide damage and sell it. Another great post by QC.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 PM
86Meesta2
Intermediate

Guys thanks for all your advice, now who has some IMS tools I can rent?

Quick Reply: Oil Sump Cover Dilemma