996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pictures after H&R Install...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM
4Scargo
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Dennis, me too on my '03 C4S. Looks like a little more work but 'doable'. Like taking out the Bose bass box from the rear and disconnecting the front drive shaft.

pfbz....did your rear camber come into specs? I run 20" rims (yeah, 'dubs') and am concerned about the rear.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great!

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Some closer crops on before and after shots...

No changes other than the H&R springs.

Rear Before:

Rear After:

Front Before:

Front After:
Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 PM
keithrobinson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, can't wait to get my shocks ordered up and lower mine
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'd love to do something like that on my C4S, but I already scrape the ground going into driveways, parking lots, etc. I'm a little worried that this would make my car too low for a daily driver...
After switching to the H&R springs about 18 mos ago I do tend to drive it a BIT less frequently around town. But the only clearance problem is driveways -- you need to keep your eyes open and make a diagonal approach when possible.

However ... those are minor inconveniences (to me) in the context of how much better the car corners (esp on the track). Body roll is imperceptible. It's also more stable in a straight line over 100mph (on the track).

I think it's a great performance upgrade and makes the car look better too. Especially true with C4Ses like ours which were lower/wider to begin with. It's a pretty badass look IMO.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I lowered my Mini with H&Rs and it looked great, but it reduced the suspension travel to about 1/2". After that it would bottom out on the rubber bumpers and beat me to death. I'd love to lower my 996 but my previous experience has always stopped me.

Have you noticed a similar outcome with yours? Any "bottoming out" on rough roads or roadway expansion strips?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
After switching to the H&R springs about 18 mos ago I do tend to drive it a BIT less frequently around town. But the only clearance problem is driveways -- you need to keep your eyes open and make a diagonal approach when possible.

However ... those are minor inconveniences (to me) in the context of how much better the car corners (esp on the track). Body roll is imperceptible. It's also more stable in a straight line over 100mph (on the track).

I think it's a great performance upgrade and makes the car look better too. Especially true with C4Ses like ours which were lower/wider to begin with. It's a pretty badass look IMO.
I think it looks great and the handling improvements would be welcomed with open arms!

My C4S is going to see less daily driver duty when we get my wife's new car this spring. Her Cayenne will become my daily driver/dog hauler/airport beater. Maybe this will be a good enough reason to modify the suspension on the C4S.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:43 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
[*]Compress front strut assembly with floor jack, put on some super heavy duty zip-ties on front springs to keep them somewhat compressed*.
This is pretty scary. Considering that a compressed coil spring has enough energy to embed itself in you (yes it does happen), I personally don't trust zip ties. Not saying that it won't work, and maybe the 996 springs don't need to be compressed that much, but yikes. Most auto parts stores will rent a spring compressor to you for free, it sure removes a lot of the risk.

The car looks great BTW.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by sandersd
I lowered my Mini with H&Rs and it looked great, but it reduced the suspension travel to about 1/2". After that it would bottom out on the rubber bumpers and beat me to death. I'd love to lower my 996 but my previous experience has always stopped me.

Have you noticed a similar outcome with yours? Any "bottoming out" on rough roads or roadway expansion strips?
I haven't bottomed it out once since getting the H&R springs. Clearance is the only issue per my previous post, and it's pretty manageable if you stay vigilant.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
This is pretty scary. Considering that a compressed coil spring has enough energy to embed itself in you (yes it does happen), I personally don't trust zip ties. Not saying that it won't work, and maybe the 996 springs don't need to be compressed that much, but yikes. Most auto parts stores will rent a spring compressor to you for free, it sure removes a lot of the risk.
Agree, coil springs are nothing to be screwed about with, but in this case, you are only shortening them slightly with little force/energy.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM
CarlosCA
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Car looks great -- love the color and wheels.

Sounds like a good mod for the money; near the top on the "best mods for $500 or less" list.

Any concerns about premature wear on the struts as has been raised in other posts?

Enjoy --
Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM
keithrobinson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the car gotten any lower over the past 6 months as the springs settle?

Keith
Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by keithrobinson
Has the car gotten any lower over the past 6 months as the springs settle?

Keith
None that I've noticed over 18 months.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by CarlosCA
Car looks great -- love the color and wheels.

Sounds like a good mod for the money; near the top on the "best mods for $500 or less" list.

Any concerns about premature wear on the struts as has been raised in other posts?

Enjoy --
I haven't experienced any noticeable strut wear, and I track it several days per year in addition to driving the mountain roads every weekend for the past 18 mos.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:21 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Necro-bump, because I'm getting ready to do it again!

Digging my new (to me) Turbo, but again am reminded of the silly US ride height on 996's. Hmmm, $300 for H&R's, or $3,000 for Ohlins coil-overs. Honestly, I was pretty happy with the H&R's on my previous 04 C2S, makes the decision easy!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Pictures after H&R Install...