I am rethinking my "Master Plan"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I am rethinking my "Master Plan"

When I boughty my 03 C2 Cab in Sept 2011, I also purchased an aftermarket warranty for $3k (3 year/36K Miles). I have approx 15 months and/or 20k miles to go.

This was my first Porsche and my original plan was to use the car as my DD and if I liked it, keep it until the warranty was up, then sell and move up to a 997 TT.

Since I have owned the car, I have:

Replaced both window regulators, ignition switch, AOS, Water Pump, RMS, new Clutch and have done the LNE IMS Retrofit.

Added Fister D exhaust.

Added a Pioneer Double Din head unit, new amp and all new speakers.

Replaced all four tires.

Several cosmetic mods, clear side markers, ashtray delete, Porsche bezel surrounding head unit and aluminum gauge rings.

The interior is flawless, except I need to replace the headliner on the cab top.

The exterior is almost perfect except for the rock chips on bumper and a new scratch on the drivers side door (it just doesn't matter how careful I am!). Both bumpers could use a respray.

The car runs perfectly. No leaks of any kind.

I still have at least a year to decide, but I am now thinking I am crazy to let this car go since I pretty much have everything I want. Maybe I should just purchase another warranty (this one has already paid for itself).

I don't track the car and I would probably not get any benefit from owning a turbo other than being able to own a turbo, if you know what I mean.

It really is not about the money, but the car will soon be 11 years old. Still lots to go wrong.

Thoughts?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a similar goal as you. To slowly replace every part on the car. Once complete, I will display it in my house as a permanent art piece.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the turbo. Boost addiction is fun.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I have a similar goal as you. To slowly replace every part on the car. Once complete, I will display it in my house as a permanent art piece.
Hey Krazy, instead of replacing every part on your car maybe you should just buy every single piece of the car one item at a time and build up a new one from the catalog! Then you have one for display with 0 miles and one to drive! They'll sell you a body in white and then you go from there! Otherwise you are just replacing perfectly functional parts...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

When the guys at the Dealer's part's counter see Krazy walk in they say: "Ka-ching!".
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the monetary means to move up now but WHY? Why get rid or a perfect car. More perfect now than when I bought it 2 years ago and still 12 months of extended warranty on it. The warranty paid for itself within the first 6 months. If I did move up I would like to buy in the high price bracket range of about 60 grand onwards. That way I know that the person who owned the car before me didn't mod it or work on it himself. All work that he had done, he was able to pay for it at the Porsche Dealers. Not so within the 20/40$ range owners. In other words, less chance of me buying a tampered with car. I would prefer to buy a car the same as it was when it left the Porsche Factory in Stuttgart.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
When the guys at the Dealer's part's counter see Krazy walk in they say: "Ka-ching!".

More likely, the parts manager is building a slightly used, very well taken care of C4S out of the spare parts that Krazy keeps turning back in.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
Hey Krazy, instead of replacing every part on your car maybe you should just buy every single piece of the car one item at a time and build up a new one from the catalog! Then you have one for display with 0 miles and one to drive! They'll sell you a body in white and then you go from there! Otherwise you are just replacing perfectly functional parts...
I'd be remiss not to quote Johnny Cash since he is America's greatest Singer/Songwriter and my avatar. This reminds me of his song "One Piece at a Time"

For everyone's listening pleasure --
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Gonzo I hear ya. I also had a master plan about the same as yours other than moving up to a 997.2 rather than a turbo. I also had my car totally sorted out and struggled to pull the trigger and move to phase 2 of the plan. However I eventually did and sold my car about a month ago. Its a tough call and boils down to how you personally feel in your gut. Buying another warranty and keeping the car for 3 more years is certainly a good option. I enjoy the search as well as the rush of the new car so for me I have 2 things to look forward to. I do admit that I miss my 996. This is not a bad problem to have.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a neighbor who built a 2001 bmw 740i piece by piece. He purchased everything from the frame all the way to the last bolt and put together. It took him a few years and cost him nearly 3 times more than what the car was worth at the time. The only thing he gained was bragging rights and a car that he can pass down to his grandkids if nobody crashes into it while its parked and totals it.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

It's always a tough decision. I was actually discussing this with my wife tonight. My C4S has almost 124K miles on the odometer. Even though I love it and the way it is equipped, I'm beginning to think it will soon cost more to keep it than to sell it and replace it with a newer one. I've been shopping for 997.2 cars online all evening. I'd love a turbo, but I'm leaning towards another C4S. I may even price a lightly equipped 991. Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 AM
sheatley
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Ask yourself what is missing from your current car.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:54 AM
CarlosCA
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your current car looks great. No question the 997 is a fine machine. Agree with others that this is about personal preference. As far as the turbo goes, these cars have so much pickup naturally why pay for something that will just tempt you to get more tickets in order to use it?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TT
Old 05-14-2013, 04:46 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've never owned a turbo, you should. Life's too short.

Quick Reply: I am rethinking my "Master Plan"