Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Broke connection piece for oil separator line - plastic in oil lines??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/752188-broke-connection-piece-for-oil-separator-line-plastic-in-oil-lines.html)

Kahdmus 04-20-2013 08:11 PM

Broke connection piece for oil separator line - plastic in oil lines???

Changed the alternator in my 2002 C4 Cab today. Tying back the oil filer tube to keep it out of the way, I 'brushed' against the two oil separator lines and the little plastic piece between them broke and sheared off at the end of each oil line.

I removed the wee clamps and pulled out the remaining pieces from the oil lines but they partially disintegrated. I scraped out every bit I could find with a screwdriver and some pieces of wire, and the oil pumped out bringing some tiny particles out.

However, I am concerned about any plastic particles being left behind after I replace the connection piece (996-106-226-52)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...610622652-M100

Could any particles damage the engine, or will the filter most likely catch any bits that survived?

Cheers,

--H

KrazyK 04-20-2013 10:35 PM

Howard, Coolant not oil goes through that line. The connector (#18) is very brittle after that many years and break very easily. I think their about $7 at Pelican Parts, a little cheaper at Auto Atlanta. You should be able to get the plastic bits out of the top hose easily. The bottom hose (#20) you can bend down and tap on it. You may have to remove the belt and a idler to help make room. You can also remove the bottom hose if you want.

The new part is so cheap, its a good idea to have a few spares. I have 2 extra brand new ones because they break at the most inconvenient times. Don't forget to purge air with Airlift if you have one and refill coolant.

Kahdmus 04-21-2013 12:39 AM

Doh, stupid, of course it's coolant!! I am a dumbass sometimes! Crap, do I need to flush the system, or just top-up?

KrazyK 04-21-2013 12:38 PM

If its been awhile, might be a good time to flush entire system. If you were careful in stopping the flow (leak after break), it probably only lost an ounce or two, so I'm sure a top off would be fine if you prefer.

Imo000 04-21-2013 12:54 PM

Replace that plastic connector with a brass one from Home Depot.

KrazyK 04-21-2013 06:21 PM

I have seen the same but I just cant bring myself to change it from the OEM look.

Imo000 04-21-2013 08:07 PM

The look remains the same as the bracket part of the old pice gets reused. :) Go look on my engine thread.

dsowen 04-22-2013 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 10402882)

+1000

At Mid Ohio this weekend and burst the hose #20 that connects to the bottom of this plastic connector spraying coolant all over the engine bay and turn 1. Replaced the hose and was VERY careful with the plastic connector because I was told it was prone to breaking. It broke anyway (maybe it cracked when the hose let go). Replaced it with a brass fitting---you just have to be sure to wire the connector to the block where the plastic connector bolts on in order to keep the hoses away from the belt.

I would replace the hoses on either end of this connector as well, especially if you're running DEs.

I'm off to the drafting table to design a nice aluminum connector to replace this crappy plastic one.

dsowen 04-22-2013 04:23 PM

Re whether you should flush the system--if you replace the two hoses, then I don't think you'd need to, though it couldn't hurt.

perryinva 04-23-2013 08:31 PM

Any part number or size for the HD brass replacement?

b8_rdc 04-23-2013 08:34 PM

guessing 1/4" barb

Imo000 04-24-2013 12:48 AM

Don't remember. I bought the two that looked close and one was a very goos fit. They are only a couple $ each anyways.

dsowen 04-25-2013 08:06 AM

I think it was 5/16"--I had the burst hose to measure it with. Just buy a range of sizes and return the unused ones.