Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Re-installing Upper Intake - Help Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 AM
911@25!
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-installing Upper Intake - Help Needed!!!

The AOS went out on my car and since my garage couldn't get to it for a couple of weeks, I decided to attempt it myself. Thanks Ken on Renntech.org for the great DYI write-up. I've managed to get the left upper intake off and replace the AOS, but now I am really struggling to get the rubber sleeves and intake back in place. I've done a lot of searching and reading, but unfortunately haven't found any articles that give suggestions/advice on how to align them and re-attach everything. Any advice from this group would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No secrets to share... it’s fiddly and takes a little patience but other than that it's straight forward! Hang in there and have a little patience.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

911 - it is a frustrating part. From my recent experience I found the following to be helpful.

1 - remove the band clamps. Unscrew all the way and install last

2 - lightly lubricate the ends of the sleeves and throttle body with some oil. This will allow you to slide the body into the sleeve mor easily

3 - try and do one side first, then gently push and twist until the other side pops in. The sleeve may get folding into the body at some point so have a small screw driver or dental pick type device to slide around the edge.

Dont give up..it can be done
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 PM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't done this particular job myself but if you are replacing stubborn "tight" rubber parts get some silicon spray lube, it helps considerably when putting things back together.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM
ljschnel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heligear
I haven't done this particular job myself but if you are replacing stubborn "tight" rubber parts get some silicon spray lube, it helps considerably when putting things back together.
I'd be leery about using silicone spray anywhere near the intake system as I have always heard that the vapors from drying silicone can cause MAF sensor failure. Good luck with the rest of the repair and hopefully you are back up and running already!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by heligear
+1 Silicone lube always helps. Including Installation of oil filter canister.
And I've done this specific job myself, OK?
Cheers,
=L=
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did my own AOS, and also replaced the O-rings on the oil cooler, so I had removed both intakes. I found placing the intakes in place, without the bolts, then attaching the cross rubber hoses and plenum with the bands totally loosened was the ticket. The hoses were oily, even cleaned up, so slipped on with a bit of effort, but not too bad. Far worse was getting in the bolt for the intake against the AOS.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Listen to these guys. Slow down, take a break when frustrated and dont force anything. If its not your DD theres no hurry.

Quick Reply: Re-installing Upper Intake - Help Needed!!!