Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Got almost 10K kms on it it so far.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

BOT

Last edited by KrazyK; 11-28-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rep at Boca asked what my application was for and I told him... here is what he had to say:

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, the bearing you mentioned would not be suitable for your application. The load and vibrations would make the bearing fail quickly cold cause other damage. I would recommend using the stock bearing. Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

No idea if this is engineer or simply a sales rep and this application does not come up on their cross ref chart... regardless, not exactly a confidence booster... ha!

FYI.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Well that's interesting. The stock bearing is less robust so other than "if the factory used it, it should be ok" what would be their explanation to use it?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

So do we get confirmation that the Boca bearing is made in China and the LN bearing may also be? I'm confused.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Why does it matter? If the bearing is made to spec, the country of manufacturer is irrelevent. For all I know, BOCA could be assembling each of these custom bearing in house from parts that are made all over the World. If you really want to know and be 100% sure, call them.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Imo000
Why does it matter? If the bearing is made to spec, the country of manufacturer is irrelevent. For all I know, BOCA could be assembling each of these custom bearing in house from parts that are made all over the World. If you really want to know and be 100% sure, call them.
It matters to me at least because when I trust the capability of chinese manufactureres, I don't trust their quality control. You can argue though the bearing manufacturer do the QC themselves which will mitigate my concerns. Same reason I won't use a made in china jackstand. Since we're talking about a critical component here, I would rather choose some other place of origin (e.g,. USA or Japan or Europe) if I had a choice.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Thenproblem is not the CQ bit what the vendor specs. If they accept a certain level of quailty the manufacturer in China will build to that. So what you see as crappy quality is what the vendor accepts from the Chineese manufacturer. Then the consumer blames the country when in reality, it is the vendor that is to blame. BUT the ultimate drive of low quality is the price. The vendor wants to keep the price low because, us as consumers, expect to pay as little as possible. There are tens of thousand of engines made for GM that are from China and I never heard any real issues with them. The capability for high quality in China is there if the vendor requires it.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

BOT

Last edited by KrazyK; 11-28-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Country origin and specs aside, if rigorous QC just isn't there, it will be like playing Russian roulette. I think is why we're at where we are now.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

Originally Posted by alpine003
Country origin and specs aside, if rigorous QC just isn't there, it will be like playing Russian roulette. I think is why we're at where we are now.
Perhaps I shouldn't post and bring this thread up again, but....

Both SKF and Timken are now advertising to beware of counterfeit cheap bearings made to look just like theirs. The counterfeit bearings even bear the same markings as the SKF or Timken parts, and are delivered in cardboard boxes that are color printed to look just like the real thing. The counterfeit bearings actually function correctly - for awhile. Bad tolerances lead them to fail after a short life.

I wonder if the whole IMSB problem stems from Porsche getting a random supply that includes some counterfeit bearings. IIUC they use NSK as the OEM. Here's a press release from NSK about this very thing.

http://www.stopfakebearings.com/#/ne...tors-in-japan/
Old 02-03-2014, 03:17 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

In fact here's an even more interesting news release about NSK:

NSK Europe has resolved a major problem of counterfeiting of its bearing products in the German market. The problem, which concerned mainly deep groove ball bearings – some up to 500mm diameter, and smaller quantities of cylindrical and taper roller bearings, came to light as a result of customer claims. These were investigated, quickly, revealing that the failed bearings did not meet NSK’s quality levels in terms of material specification and life. The source of these bearings was subsequently identified and the proper steps are being taken.
Article dated 2008.
http://www.nskeurope.com/cps/rde/xch...unterfeit.html
Old 02-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DennisAN
Perhaps I shouldn't post and bring this thread up again, but....

Both SKF and Timken are now advertising to beware of counterfeit cheap bearings made to look just like theirs. The counterfeit bearings even bear the same markings as the SKF or Timken parts, and are delivered in cardboard boxes that are color printed to look just like the real thing. The counterfeit bearings actually function correctly - for awhile. Bad tolerances lead them to fail after a short life.

I wonder if the whole IMSB problem stems from Porsche getting a random supply that includes some counterfeit bearings. IIUC they use NSK as the OEM. Here's a press release from NSK about this very thing.

http://www.stopfakebearings.com/#/ne...tors-in-japan/
I've heard of this counterfeit part problem in the auto industry in general and even military industry where older electronics are marked as new and got installed on jet fighters....scary.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Many of the Porsche sealed bearings are made in the German Region of "Munich-Brazil" At least the transmission bearings in one we took apart were all marked "Brazil" ... assuming it is in Germany??
Old 02-03-2014, 04:15 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

SKF is an acronym for "Swedish Ballbearing Factory" - I guess the Swedish word for ballbearing starts with a K.

The last SKF bearing I bought was in a box labeled "Made in France".

Quick Reply: Different Approach to DIY IMSB Retro / Parts and Pics