Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 C2 Rattle on Cold Start

Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, I just changed my oil to redline yesterday. We'll see.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
M3BimmerBilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe Gibbs DT40 is really good

Last edited by M3BimmerBilly; 06-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Originally Posted by San Rensho
I had a persistent start up rattle, both hot and cold, for just a fraction of a second. I changed the bottom chain tensioners and tried oils from 0-40 to 20-50 with no change.

Last oil change I went to Red Line 5-40 and the rattle is much better, probably 80% less. Its still there from time to time but much better. I guess our motors like pure ester (group 5) oils.
I recently had a similar experience with redline oil.

As I noted earlier in this thread, I replaced my tensioners with new ones due to the rattling on a cold start up after my car wasn't driven for a week or more. It made no difference.

A couple of weeks ago I did an oil/filter change with Redline 20-50. I started it for the first time since the change this morning. No rattling. In fact the motor is very quiet with hardly any mechanical noise at all compared to before.

I was using Mobil1 5-40 before the Redline change.

I also sent an oil sample drawn from my oil filter housing to Blackstone for analysis. They said it looked great, but thought it was a 5-30 weight oil. I have heard the warnings about pulling the sample from the housing, but I would rather hear what the worst case scenario was, which there wasn't one.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:01 PM
white99c2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car may run hotter in stop and go traffic with that 20 weight oil. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. I can only use 0W40 in my '99 or the car turns into an inferno. I'm in Arizona where it's as hot as hell.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Originally Posted by white99c2
Your car may run hotter in stop and go traffic with that 20 weight oil. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. I can only use 0W40 in my '99 or the car turns into an inferno. I'm in Arizona where it's as hot as hell.
I know 20-50 is a heavier weight than recommended. But part of the problem is, manufacturers specify low viscosity oils to increase their fleet fuel economy numbers, to their knowing detriment of engine life or performance. I don't own this car for its fuel economy. In fact I was heavy footed on my last tank and only got 11mpg!

My car has never had any issues with running hot in the past, but I will keep my eye on it with summer around the corner.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu
I recently had a similar experience with redline oil.

As I noted earlier in this thread, I replaced my tensioners with new ones due to the rattling on a cold start up after my car wasn't driven for a week or more. It made no difference.

A couple of weeks ago I did an oil/filter change with Redline 20-50. I started it for the first time since the change this morning. No rattling. In fact the motor is very quiet with hardly any mechanical noise at all compared to before.

I was using Mobil1 5-40 before the Redline change.

I also sent an oil sample drawn from my oil filter housing to Blackstone for analysis. They said it looked great, but thought it was a 5-30 weight oil. I have heard the warnings about pulling the sample from the housing, but I would rather hear what the worst case scenario was, which there wasn't one.
Is your cold start rattle still gone after the change in oil type/brand? My C2 rattles when cold for about 60 seconds at idle or not at all when driven immediately. I've run Mobil 1 0-40 and 5-50 with similar results (rattle is present).
Old 09-26-2017, 09:38 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Is your cold start rattle still gone after the change in oil type/brand? My C2 rattles when cold for about 60 seconds at idle or not at all when driven immediately. I've run Mobil 1 0-40 and 5-50 with similar results (rattle is present).
My '99 C2 has a completely rebuilt engine with the best of everything. It made the very same noise under the same conditions before the build and still after the build.
From what I understand it comes from the exhaust lifters which leak down because they hang somewhat upside down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 C2 Rattle on Cold Start