Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Oil temp gauge (or correlation to water temp) (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/744460-oil-temp-gauge-or-correlation-to-water-temp.html)

RDUBiker 03-07-2013 10:28 PM

Oil temp gauge (or correlation to water temp)

Does anyone here run an inconspicuous oil temp gauge? If so, show me?

Either that, or is there a decent correlation between water temp and oil temp? I have a habit of not "getting on it" til the water temp is pretty much up to 180 but I wonder how that correlates with oil temp in these cars. In my BMWs, water temp leads oil temp by 40-60 deg. F.

street rod 03-07-2013 11:34 PM

The oil temp lags behind the water temp on engine warm up. After my water temp gets to 180 I normally drive about 5 more miles at 3000 RPMs and then assume my oil is up to temp and I can get on it. This is only a guess however. Maybe someone has an oil temp gauge and can confirm this.

BAD.TAG 03-08-2013 02:17 AM

+1..I would like to know if there is a sensor we can tap into somehow to display oil temp. If anyone has a solution, please post it up

yoda888 03-08-2013 01:41 PM

Oil temp takes a lot longer to get up to temp than water temp.

I'm not sure why Porsche did not include an oil temp gauge with our cars (I'd take that any day over the voltage gauge!), but it would be quite useful.

I'd be interested to hear from 997 (I think they have an oil temp gauge or was it the 7gt3?) how long they need to drive before they see oil temp come up to temp.

On my E30M3, I could drive for 20mins before the oil gauge would even move. So this wasn't even up to "operating temp" for the oil. That's why they say you need nice long drives to get the oil up to the proper temp to "boil" out any moisture in it.

Byprodriver 03-08-2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by RDUBiker (Post 10283330)
Does anyone here run an inconspicuous oil temp gauge? If so, show me?

Either that, or is there a decent correlation between water temp and oil temp? I have a habit of not "getting on it" til the water temp is pretty much up to 180 but I wonder how that correlates with oil temp in these cars. In my BMWs, water temp leads oil temp by 40-60 deg. F.

M96 engines were designed with a oil to coolant heat exchanger to speed oil heating to operating temp.Racing M96 engines causes the oil temp to surpass coolant temp.

gla 03-09-2013 12:52 PM

I have an 07 S Coupe 997 3.8 engine. The 997's have both gauges. My water temperature reaches 175 and the oil temperature has yet to move. It normally takes about three miles of under 3000 rpm driving to get the water temperature to 175 and then about another two miles before the oil temperature to settle in just under 200 on my gauge. When I drive hard the gauge does go just above 200. I am sure the water temperature gauges on the cars are not accurate as mine never gets above 175. I think Porsche makes it that way so we don't worry. At any rate, from my observations, there is quite a time difference from hot water to hot oil. I would not get on it too hard for a bit after reaching optimum water temperature.

Imo000 03-09-2013 01:30 PM

Unless under racing conditions, why would one care about the oil temp? Porsche didn't put it in the clusture because there is no reason the driver needs to know.

yoda888 03-09-2013 02:13 PM

I don't race my car, but when I participate in DEs, I'd like to know the oil temp to make sure everything is good. Much more useful than the voltage gauge.

Imo000 03-09-2013 09:03 PM

DEs are racing conditions so I can see some reason for it but what will be your threshold value for oil temperature? What can you get out of it that a coolant temperature sensor can't show. If the coolant gauge looks normal, so should the engine.

mmahon04 03-10-2013 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 10288489)
DEs are racing conditions so I can see some reason for it but what will be your threshold value for oil temperature? What can you get out of it that a coolant temperature sensor can't show. If the coolant gauge looks normal, so should the engine.

The stock coolant-oil heat exchanger does not have nearly the exchange capacity to keep oil temperatures in line with coolant temperatures, especially when getting on it or in stop and go traffic. Beefing up the coolant system highlights this.

To note, with my 3rd radiator, 160o thermostat, and fan hack my coolant temperatures rarely notch above the '8' on the temperature side...while I watch my oil pressures continually drop (in bad traffic or on a long DE day) to a few shades over 1 bar. Simply a symptom of the oil getting hot, thinning out, and dropping pressure.

So, to know exactly how thin my oil is getting, I'd love to have an oil temperature gauge, rather than "guesstimating it" via pressure.

philooo 03-10-2013 11:02 AM

I am with you.. we need to find a mod to read oil temp !

Only thing I see available would be the location of the oil pressure sensor.

Either replacing it with oil temp instead OR add a T and plug both at that location. unfortunately don't think anybody has ever done it on rennlist :(

I have not seen any oil cooler mod either. Many 996 spec racer seems to say the hardware on the car is fine even for racing and many have raced for a few years without mod. I am worry as well when I see my oil temp drop on DE

yoda888 03-10-2013 04:20 PM

Does anyone know how the oil temp is tapped in a 997? Some of them are m96 motors, so perhaps we can tap off of that. The thing is where do you mount the oil temp gauge!?

Imo000 03-10-2013 11:35 PM

No need to T off or tap. The other head, where the pressure sensor would go, has a set screw blocking off the port.

Macster 03-11-2013 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 10290940)
No need to T off or tap. The other head, where the pressure sensor would go, has a set screw blocking off the port.

Not sure that's a good place to get oil temp.

IIRC that oil galley is a dead end.

If so there is no oil flow thus the temp reading will not reflect the oil temp say at where the oil is fed to the mains.

philooo 03-11-2013 04:18 PM

I hope someone does that mod :) I have been waiting for it for months.. but not the skills to do it.