Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Oil temp gauge (or correlation to water temp)

Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Not sure that's a good place to get oil temp.

IIRC that oil galley is a dead end.

If so there is no oil flow thus the temp reading will not reflect the oil temp say at where the oil is fed to the mains.
True but my suggestion was based on T-ing off the oil pressure sending unit port.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Ahsai
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 PM
DBJoe996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just for reference sake - Durametric will give you the oil temp. I've used it on my 996 but have never done a real world benchmark comparison of coolant temperature rise and oil temperature rise while warming up. I do know that in the garage after warming up, the coolant temperature will be at 180 and the oil temp will be around 195-200. But with Durametric on my laptop, this would not be difficult to do, especially with a passenger.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Ahsai
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996 View Post
Just for reference sake - Durametric will give you the oil temp. I've used it on my 996 but have never done a real world benchmark comparison of coolant temperature rise and oil temperature rise while warming up. I do know that in the garage after warming up, the coolant temperature will be at 180 and the oil temp will be around 195-200. But with Durametric on my laptop, this would not be difficult to do, especially with a passenger.
Joe, in the garage yes but driving on the road is quite different. What I found is the coolant warms up faster than the oil at first but about 10 min or so into the drive (cruising) the oil will catch up and pass the coolant. After that, the oil temp totally depends on how you drive. Cruising around town will be ~200F but if you drive a little more aggressively, the oil can go up to 220F+ pretty quickly. It feels like the temp increases with the load, the more gas you give, the higher the oil temp. I've seen 225F after some 0-60 type of dashes. Must be even higher on the race track where the engine is almost constantly under load.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:03 AM
HenryPcar
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cheapest and simplest mod for those that doesn't have an oil temperature gauge is to get a Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scanner. The bluetooth can be pinged to your mobil phone and through 3rd party software you can get all kinds of real-time data from your cars OBD2. Not only that software such as Torque Pro, Torque Lite (free) have graphical interface to give you customized gauges to present the information. It works for both Android and Apple phones.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:04 PM
The Radium King
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henryting View Post
The cheapest and simplest mod for those that doesn't have an oil temperature gauge is to get a Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scanner. The bluetooth can be pinged to your mobil phone and through 3rd party software you can get all kinds of real-time data from your cars OBD2. Not only that software such as Torque Pro, Torque Lite (free) have graphical interface to give you customized gauges to present the information. It works for both Android and Apple phones.
obd doesn't give oil temp on a porsche. only way to get it is with the porsche or durametric diagnostic tools; info is proprietary, no apps for these yet. so, you have to intercept the proprietary oil temp signal and convert it to something a vdo gauge can read which is what ahsai has done, or go analogue and put a vdo sender on the engine (there is a spare, properly-sized port on the head diagonally opposite the pressure sender location - under the airbox on a boxster, presume opposite corner on a 996). the concern with the vdo sender soln is that it does not always see oil at the top of the head, however, steve on 986forum has logged his durametric temp data against the data from a vdo temp sender on his engine and says that they track quite well - a bit off when the engine is coming up to temp but otherwise good.

for gauge location, autometer sells a 9x6-specific kit that mounts on the steering column (replaces the top of the signal stalk housing) and pedro sells a kit that puts gauges in place of one of your dash cubbies. or you can go to ebay and get a DIN-sized faceplate wth 52mm openings for 2-1/16" vdo gauges for cheap - put it in one of your spare DIN slots on the dash.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 PM
808Bill
Super User

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
obd doesn't give oil temp on a porsche. only way to get it is with the porsche or durametric diagnostic tools; info is proprietary, no apps for these yet. so, you have to intercept the proprietary oil temp signal and convert it to something a vdo gauge can read which is what ahsai has done, or go analogue and put a vdo sender on the engine (there is a spare, properly-sized port on the head diagonally opposite the pressure sender location - under the airbox on a boxster, presume opposite corner on a 996). the concern with the vdo sender soln is that it does not always see oil at the top of the head, however, steve on 986forum has logged his durametric temp data against the data from a vdo temp sender on his engine and says that they track quite well - a bit off when the engine is coming up to temp but otherwise good.

for gauge location, autometer sells a 9x6-specific kit that mounts on the steering column (replaces the top of the signal stalk housing) and pedro sells a kit that puts gauges in place of one of your dash cubbies. or you can go to ebay and get a DIN-sized faceplate wth 52mm openings for 2-1/16" vdo gauges for cheap - put it in one of your spare DIN slots on the dash.
Anyone done either yet?
Old 04-17-2017, 04:25 PM
HenryPcar
User

Thanks for clarification. My mistake, I was thinking about my BMW which doesn't even have the coolant temperature gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil temp gauge (or correlation to water temp)

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: