996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.68%
No issues with IMS
91.32%
Voters: 1590. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Actually, according to Jake Raby's video on PCA and his site, that's the opposite. He said lugging these motors around at low RPM's put more stress on the IMS. He goes on to compare driving styles to that of air cooled engines, where you kept the revs up to keep the cooling fan spinning at speed and how you should basically drive at around 3,000 RPM most of the time rather than 2,000. He said don't use 6th great unless you are truly at highway speed also.
Exactly. The reason we see less failures with Tiptronics are that there are less of them. It's a fact that as surface speeds increase, wear and lubrication requirements for ball bearings and roller bearings decrease.

The reason they went with the larger 6305 series bearing in the 06-08 cars is that that increases surface speed as well as load capacity, restoring load rating to that of the original dual row bearing.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:03 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
...It's a fact that as surface speeds increase, wear and lubrication requirements for ball bearings and roller bearings decrease.
Can you explain this to us non-engineers? Is it because at higher speeds the parts start to float a bit? Maybe centrifugal force kicks in? Just curious.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Can you explain this to us non-engineers? Is it because at higher speeds the parts start to float a bit? Maybe centrifugal force kicks in? Just curious.
The bearing operates in boundary and mixed lubrication regime, meaning the ball or roller has contact with the race and also where it's riding on the oil film. For a given load, the faster the bearing turns, the less oil film is required to maintain boundary lubrication.

Does that help?
Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

...Does that help?
No! It just makes me wish I paid more attention in high school. ;-) lol

Seriously, I do believe I understand the general idea.

On a related note, the Shelby GT350 Voodoo engines are experiencing some premature, unexplained (and unidentified) engine failures. I'm reading all the forums (because I have a new one myself) and freaking myself out. I thought to myself, now I have TWO cars that could suddenly and without warning explode into a million, expensive pieces! On the Shelby forums there are more than a few 911 owners. I've been trying to draw analogies between the two cars. I figure, one day when we have much more info to analyze (ie, failed engines that are out of warranty (right now Ford just confiscates the entire bad engine from the dealer and sends a new one rather than allow anyone to open it up!)) someone will have more knowledge like your team does about the IMS issue.

It seems most of the engine failures are related to a lack of/reduced amount of oil. These engines mysteriously develop an appetite for consuming oil. People report that they never burned a drop of oil, then they hear a noise and mysteriously, the dipstick shows no oil! It takes 5 quarts (holds 10) then later find engine damage. But some of these engines ARE actually consuming oil at very high rates even when they are checked regularly. Ford checks consumption and replaces as warranted (and warrantied). So my theory is that somehow, some of these engines are getting low on oil one way or another, and then there are issues. I check mine before every drive (it's not my DD).

Getting back to you and Jake, I've been trying to follow the your recommendations in terms of how to drive and maintain these engines. Basically, don't drive it if you can't get it fully up to temp (no short trips). Don't beat on it cold. And CHANGE THE OIL every 5k or 6 months regardless. Maybe that will keep them from developing a thirst for oil in the first place. And if it does take a qt every 1 or 2k miles, fine. Just don't let it get 5 quarts low! (I will say that there are folks who report that they really were on top of things and still, the engine suddenly started consuming oil or suddenly something failed. But since Ford just takes back those bad engines whole, we don't know what's going wrong.) (Oh, some theorize that since the engines are individually signed by the two man team that hand builds each one, they don't want anyone else opening them up to protect their reputations/jobs.)

If you're bored, here's the 63 page thread on engine failures (on one forum): https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...thread.104010/

Sorry for the digression, but I wanted to share the similarities, especially since the GT350 seems to attract so many 911 owners.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:13 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

No! It just makes me wish I paid more attention in high school. ;-) lol

Seriously, I do believe I understand the general idea.

On a related note, the Shelby GT350 Voodoo engines are experiencing some premature, unexplained (and unidentified) engine failures. I'm reading all the forums (because I have a new one myself) and freaking myself out. I thought to myself, now I have TWO cars that could suddenly and without warning explode into a million, expensive pieces! On the Shelby forums there are more than a few 911 owners. I've been trying to draw analogies between the two cars. I figure, one day when we have much more info to analyze (ie, failed engines that are out of warranty (right now Ford just confiscates the entire bad engine from the dealer and sends a new one rather than allow anyone to open it up!)) someone will have more knowledge like your team does about the IMS issue.

It seems most of the engine failures are related to a lack of/reduced amount of oil. These engines mysteriously develop an appetite for consuming oil. People report that they never burned a drop of oil, then they hear a noise and mysteriously, the dipstick shows no oil! It takes 5 quarts (holds 10) then later find engine damage. But some of these engines ARE actually consuming oil at very high rates even when they are checked regularly. Ford checks consumption and replaces as warranted (and warrantied). So my theory is that somehow, some of these engines are getting low on oil one way or another, and then there are issues. I check mine before every drive (it's not my DD).

Getting back to you and Jake, I've been trying to follow the your recommendations in terms of how to drive and maintain these engines. Basically, don't drive it if you can't get it fully up to temp (no short trips). Don't beat on it cold. And CHANGE THE OIL every 5k or 6 months regardless. Maybe that will keep them from developing a thirst for oil in the first place. And if it does take a qt every 1 or 2k miles, fine. Just don't let it get 5 quarts low! (I will say that there are folks who report that they really were on top of things and still, the engine suddenly started consuming oil or suddenly something failed. But since Ford just takes back those bad engines whole, we don't know what's going wrong.) (Oh, some theorize that since the engines are individually signed by the two man team that hand builds each one, they don't want anyone else opening them up to protect their reputations/jobs.)

If you're bored, here's the 63 page thread on engine failures (on one forum): https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...thread.104010/

Sorry for the digression, but I wanted to share the similarities, especially since the GT350 seems to attract so many 911 owners.
I'm actually working on a directive for checking oil level now. Across the board, engines are getting thirsty. GM's latest bulletin states 1 quart per 2000 miles is normal and expected and 1 quart in 500 miles on performance models. Manufacturers have gone to 2-3# oil controls and surface finishes we consider a mirror finish on bores for friction reduction for fuel economy, however with thinner oils and fuel dilution, it's no surprise we end up with problems.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

What should I do?
My new to me 996 with factory replaced engine and BIG IMSB is my DD. Short 12min commute gets up to temp and then I'm there. Same on my trip home but it's up hill and curvy so I'll stretch it out every chance I get.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:44 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I'm actually working on a directive for checking oil level now. Across the board, engines are getting thirsty. GM's latest bulletin states 1 quart per 2000 miles is normal and expected and 1 quart in 500 miles on performance models. Manufacturers have gone to 2-3# oil controls and surface finishes we consider a mirror finish on bores for friction reduction for fuel economy, however with thinner oils and fuel dilution, it's no surprise we end up with problems.
I'd love to hear about your directives on that.

Ford Performance engineers said up to a quart every 800 miles while on the track, or more, is normal. I seem to recall my 996 manual also making claims like that related to track driving. It's the street high consumption that's nuts. Interesting comments about friction reduction in the cylinders. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 AM
AussieRick
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post so be kind:
2000 996 C4 Tip Cab. Don’t really know provenance or service history past last owner. Now has 204,000 km on the clock, I drive it “with spirit” and it runs like a dream.
I saw a post earlier where someone stated engine numbers to IMS bearing fitted (Single/Dual) Went out to get engine number and lost post.
Can someone point me to that post?
Great site guys.
Thanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:07 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieRick
First post so be kind:
2000 996 C4 Tip Cab. Don’t really know provenance or service history past last owner. Now has 204,000 km on the clock, I drive it “with spirit” and it runs like a dream.
I saw a post earlier where someone stated engine numbers to IMS bearing fitted (Single/Dual) Went out to get engine number and lost post.
Can someone point me to that post?
Great site guys.
Thanks.
Welcome Rick! Make sure you get onto the PFA as well for some local get togethers

Being a 2000 with near certainty yours will have a dual row IMSB. Check out the PCNA videos with Jake for a really good run down on the IMSB.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:40 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
What should I do?
My new to me 996 with factory replaced engine and BIG IMSB is my DD. Short 12min commute gets up to temp and then I'm there. Same on my trip home but it's up hill and curvy so I'll stretch it out every chance I get.
Change your oil much more frequently - at most every 3k miles or every 3 months. You really need to pencil in there some days where you can drive it an extended period of at least 30 minutes, if not longer, if the weather is cold outside, as it will take significantly longer for the oil to get to get to temp. Ideally we want to see oil temp once in a while above 220F to get moisture buildup out of the crankcase. That's why when that can't happen, shorter intervals are needed for oi changes.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:11 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Got it...Cold here is the low 60's for only a few hours fortunately.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:34 PM
escimo
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool, I got to be the "996th" vote in the poll for No IMS issues..

1999 996 C2 78,000 Miles
Recently I pulled the engine and trans to replace the clutch, AOS, etc. Pulled the factory original dual row bearing and it appeared to be in perfect condition with no noticeable play or damage.
Will probably replace it anyway with the LN or RND roller bearing. Love this car..
Happy Hollidays
Old 11-23-2018, 02:38 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by escimo
Cool, I got to be the "996th" vote in the poll for No IMS issues..

1999 996 C2 78,000 Miles
Recently I pulled the engine and trans to replace the clutch, AOS, etc. Pulled the factory original dual row bearing and it appeared to be in perfect condition with no noticeable play or damage.
Will probably replace it anyway with the LN or RND roller bearing. Love this car..
Happy Hollidays
You have to replace it as you can't pull a bearing and reuse it.

Last edited by 808Bill; 11-25-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:48 PM
neadaporsh
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

2000 996, 95,500 miles no IMS failure or replacement........frequent oil changes
Old 11-24-2018, 02:51 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Oil changes every 90 days.

Wow.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)