996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.67%
No issues with IMS
91.33%
Voters: 1591. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:10 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,821 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Being new here, I'll post to help track our cause...

1999 (7/98 build) C2, No failure of Dual row IMSB, but preemptively replaced with LN at 34,000 miles in 2016.

Original IMSB still sealed and showed no signs of wear when removed.

This info is all based on records and my speaking to the tech that did the IMS last year. The car was a very low mile car with partial service records, so I don't know how it was driven and if there were more oil changes than what the car fax shows.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:18 PM
kk!
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002 Targa - Engine was replaced by Porsche at 55 000km due to crankshaft out of spec in 2005 with a remanufactured M96 motor. At least that's what the records say. I'm sure you all have heard that that was during that period when the rear mains were leaking a lot and Porsche just replaced the engines instead of fixing them. I bought it at 72 000km and now it's at 128000km and runs perfectly. Im hoping that the remanufactured motor in 2005 had all the issues addressed. I still hold my breath everytime I cut open the oil filter though.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just bought a 2002 Gen 2 996 C2 with 85k miles. No problems so far. Paperwork states that no signs of IMS problems, presumably no bits of seal in the oil change.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

2003 C4s with 99k on it's original IMSB. Car is bone dry underneath, no smoke at start up and an oil change last weekend revealed zero particles in the pan, on the magnetic drain plug or the the cut open oil filter.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:16 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default An update, please

This is an update to my 09-29-2014 posting...way down below.

At 81K miles (August, 2016), the original IMSB was replaced with the LNE Dual Row Pro. The original bearing was not leaking and it turned freely with no discernible play. At the same time, the clutch, AOS, RMS, DMF, clutch thrust bearing, one tensioner, and main input shaft seal were replaced. (The original DMF was definitely worn, and the input shaft was leaking.) I may have spent too much money/too soon, but it now drives like a new 911, and I sleep like a baby. Life is good.

relinuca
Old 11-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Has the failure rate data been broken down by year and type of original dual- or single-row bearings?

I've read that Porsche settled its lawsuit without necessity of repairing/replacing such bearings on pre-2001 cars, reporting that such failures were quite rare with dual-row bearings in the early cars, and the trouble is pretty much limited to later single-row bearings post-2001. I'm considering purchase of a 1999 car.

Are the original early-version dual row bearings still available? Price and source?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 PM
TheAlsatian
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dash01
Has the failure rate data been broken down by year and type of original dual- or single-row bearings?

I've read that Porsche settled its lawsuit without necessity of repairing/replacing such bearings on pre-2001 cars, reporting that such failures were quite rare with dual-row bearings in the early cars, and the trouble is pretty much limited to later single-row bearings post-2001. I'm considering purchase of a 1999 car.

Are the original early-version dual row bearings still available? Price and source?
L&N does make a double row replacement bearing. I put one in my 99 although I debate the necessity of that.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAlsatian
L&N does make a double row replacement bearing. I put one in my 99 although I debate the necessity of that.
But what about the original factory double row bearing--is that or generic equivalent still available?

After all, Porsche litigation data said less than 1% of the early double row bearings were faulty, and looking at data on this thread seems to corroborate that such double row bearings have been found to be good, when replaced with expensive aftermarket units.

Granted, the aftermarket bearings have been well researched and developed, but are they really necessary in the early 996 cars whose factory bearings historically seem OK?
-----------
PS: fwiw, I once rebuilt the alternator in a BMW 535i, replacing the bearings. Local auto parts stores quoted ~$26 for the main bearing, and ~$12 for the small one. Curious, I took the old bearings to a Case farm implement store, and they had the exact same bearings in stock for $6 and $2, respectively. Similar prices quoted at John Deere tractor dealership. These were not cheap Chinese knockoffs, but the exact same maker (Timkin, I think) with the exact same serial numbers. Farm equipment has to be pretty reliable, else Old McDonald doesn't get paid for this year's crop, so Case and Deere sell reliable stuff. Moral of the story: There may be excellent, high quality bearings suitable and sized for this application out there somewhere at very reasonable prices, we just need to find them.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:56 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,821 Likes on 1,642 Posts

From what I read, Porsche doesn't not sell OEM replacement IMS bearings.

And I agree with you, that the research seems to indicate that early `99 motors were less prone to problems. That's why I jumped on the `99 that I just bought. Oh, and when the PO had the bearing upgraded as a preventative measure, the tech who did the work said the OEM bearing looked great at 35k miles on a 17 year old engine (a combo that would presumably be hardest on the IMS). I spoke with him personally before buying the car.

As for buying cheaper versions of the part, sure, that would be nice. But at this point, $700 every 6 years for a dual row IMS is not that bad IMO.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:05 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
But what about the original factory double row bearing--is that or generic equivalent still available?

After all, Porsche litigation data said less than 1% of the early double row bearings were faulty, and looking at data on this thread seems to corroborate that such double row bearings have been found to be good, when replaced with expensive aftermarket units.

Granted, the aftermarket bearings have been well researched and developed, but are they really necessary in the early 996 cars whose factory bearings historically seem OK?
-----------
PS: fwiw, I once rebuilt the alternator in a BMW 535i, replacing the bearings. Local auto parts stores quoted ~$26 for the main bearing, and ~$12 for the small one. Curious, I took the old bearings to a Case farm implement store, and they had the exact same bearings in stock for $6 and $2, respectively. Similar prices quoted at John Deere tractor dealership. These were not cheap Chinese knockoffs, but the exact same maker (Timkin, I think) with the exact same serial numbers. Farm equipment has to be pretty reliable, else Old McDonald doesn't get paid for this year's crop, so Case and Deere sell reliable stuff. Moral of the story: There may be excellent, high quality bearings suitable and sized for this application out there somewhere at very reasonable prices, we just need to find them.
No we don't, someone on here tried making their own bearing and installed it, it didn't work out.

Save your time and effort, this is an engine not an alternator.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:18 PM
cybernaut12
3rd Gear

2001 C2 Coupe. No failures since new. Stopped knocking on wood and had IMS replaced with IMS Solution at 33K miles. Now I sleep like a baby.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:36 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought my '02 C2 Cab in October with 67,000 on the clock. I drove it home from NC, 1,000 miles, being very worried that the IMS would fail on the trip...it didn't. I immediately made an appointment to have the IMS changed along with the failing clutch and leaky RMS. The OEM IMS bearing looked brand new with no noticeable deterioration of the seals. IMS was replaced with the EPS version. The car is tucked away for the winter in my basement and cannot wait for spring to wring it out!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

99 C2 Cab just about to turn 44k. I have put 1k in the last 6 months (recent purchase). No issues. Oil filter cut apart no issues.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:29 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Bought my 03 C4S last week, Tip and little over 82k miles. IMS not replaced and no issues underneath or with exhaust. Still may upgrade, but haven't decided yet. This was a short-distance DD for the last few years so opening it up this past week has 'loosened it up' a tad, or it feels like it anyway. Will be changing oil at every 5k miles just in case, as I've read that's advised to do.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RSBro
Bought my 03 C4S last week, Tip and little over 82k miles. IMS not replaced and no issues underneath or with exhaust. Still may upgrade, but haven't decided yet. This was a short-distance DD for the last few years so opening it up this past week has 'loosened it up' a tad, or it feels like it anyway. Will be changing oil at every 5k miles just in case, as I've read that's advised to do.
If it's been doing short trips i'd make sure the gearbox oil has been changed, I change at half the book distance and the oil comes out tired.

5k for engine oil could be slight overkill but see what you think at next change.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)