996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.68%
No issues with IMS
91.32%
Voters: 1590. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:34 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by 6L6
Question:

My indy mechanic who has a lifetime of racing and mechanic experience with Porsches, told me that IMS failures are much more prevalent in cars with TipTronic trannies.

Is that true? If so, is it because there are more Porsches with Tip than Manual trannies?

Thoughts?

Bill
Most of the more respected Porsche mechanics conclude the infamous IMS failure in the 996 and 997.1 are due to two primary reasons - weak bearing design and oil starvation. There has been no valid evidence to point to the transmission as being a part of the equation.

IMHO, this is based on your indy's limited experience with the cars he's dealt with and if my memory serves me correctly, the tiptronic transmission only made up a small percentage of cars in the 996/997.1 generation of the 911.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:36 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your input, Jake!

Bill
Old 04-06-2017, 02:43 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
One can't make this connection... Period. The vast majority of these cars are manuals, and we see an equal percentage of manual and tiptronic engine failures based on production numbers. Gearbox doesn't matter at all.
Either my Indy told me, or perhaps I read it somewhere, that the Tip cars have a higher failure rate because they are typically run up only to 3,000 RPM and no higher. And this relates to the "oil starvation" problem.... that the IMSB, after seal failure or unsealed replacement, gets more scattered/splashed oil at higher RPMs. Can you comment on that (possible) myth please Jake? Does running my Tip car periodically up to redline in 2nd or 3rd, does this help in lubing an IMSB that doesn't have seals?

Thank you!
Old 04-06-2017, 02:53 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been observed on this thread that 996s driven harder tend to have a lower IMSB failure rate than those driven gently. Splashed oil lubricating the IMSB is consistent with this theory.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching for Jake's reply on this.

Bill
Old 04-06-2017, 04:42 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I drive tiptronic cars like manuals. I always control the shifting myself, even in my own 993 Tiptronic.

Remember that the IMSB was designed to have permanent lubrication. The issue with the bearings is not, and has NEVER been related to oil starvation. The major issue comes from the bearing being overloaded.

Everyone is an expert on these topics, even the guy sitting in his "library" shooting videos on topics about things he has no idea about, and has probably only done once.

The bearing needs surface speed to unload the *****, so the tiptronic when driven in automatic mode does not favor this.

People keep looking for the best car to buy/ own that won;t have a bearing issue. They make up wild and crazy stories and listen to people that no less than they do on the topic whole trying to gain the information that they want to hear.

Buy the damn car, and omit the ball bearing with an IMS Solution. Spend the money once, and be done with it, then it won't make a single damn difference how the car is driven. Can't afford that? Don;t want to spend that money? Then buy a freaking Miata.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I drive tiptronic cars like manuals. I always control the shifting myself, even in my own 993 Tiptronic.

Remember that the IMSB was designed to have permanent lubrication. The issue with the bearings is not, and has NEVER been related to oil starvation. The major issue comes from the bearing being overloaded.

Everyone is an expert on these topics, even the guy sitting in his "library" shooting videos on topics about things he has no idea about, and has probably only done once.

The bearing needs surface speed to unload the *****, so the tiptronic when driven in automatic mode does not favor this.

People keep looking for the best car to buy/ own that won;t have a bearing issue. They make up wild and crazy stories and listen to people that no less than they do on the topic whole trying to gain the information that they want to hear.

Buy the damn car, and omit the ball bearing with an IMS Solution. Spend the money once, and be done with it, then it won't make a single damn difference how the car is driven. Can't afford that? Don;t want to spend that money? Then buy a freaking Miata.
And for someone like me looking at a Tip C2 that wants the Salution, can afford it but has no one within my state of Hawaii certified to put one in...Jake, need a little vacation?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:37 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
And for someone like me looking at a Tip C2 that wants the Salution, can afford it but has no one within my state of Hawaii certified to put one in...Jake, need a little vacation?
I can only work in my world... take me away from here, and I get all confused!

The local dealer we work with has a 996 tiptronic that needs an engine... buy that, and I'll build you what you need, then ship it to Hawaii. No problem. That solves it all.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:51 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Let a friend drive my 996 last fall. Guidance before we took off "keep the car between 3k and 5k, it's already warm." Guidance after letting him shift a few times "keep the car between 3k and 5k, it's not a Honda & needs to spin." I don't know why but people love to lug the sh*t out of their motors.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

I can only work in my world... take me away from here, and I get all confused!

The local dealer we work with has a 996 tiptronic that needs an engine... buy that, and I'll build you what you need, then ship it to Hawaii. No problem. That solves it all.
Now that's an offer I can't refuse. Will be in touch once I get the sale of my small business behind me, thanks!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:21 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Now that's an offer I can't refuse. Will be in touch once I get the sale of my small business behind me, thanks!
This one won't last that long.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Wow, Jake maybe I was high on meds at the time, but from reading the many technical articles from sources like LN, insufficient lubrication of the IMSB was a top contributing factor to failure. Maybe "oil starvation" is not the best term to use in reference to the IMS problem?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:36 PM
mjberning
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Replaced IMS Bearing

Just had my IMS Bearing replaced in my 2002 996 C2 - 6 Speed

Car had low 28,300 miles. Original bearing was in excellent condition (so much for the low mileage scare tactics).

Replaced it with LNE Single Row Pro. Also replaced the clutch, RMS, Water Pump, and AOS at the same time and had plugs and coils changed. My vehicle is almost like new now so I hope I can drive it for a long while with just oil changes and brake pad swaps.

I probably paid for a service that was not needed for a few years but possibly will enjoy my car more now.

I had a lot of questions whether or not changing a perfectly good bearing is necessary or introduces more risk. As they say better is sometimes the enemy of good. I will be very upset if my LNE bearing should fail given the original was in perfect shape and the shop used all of LNEs tools and procedures.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjberning

Car had low 28,300 miles. Original bearing was in excellent condition (so much for the low mileage scare tactics).

Replaced it with LNE Single Row Pro. Also replaced the clutch, RMS, Water Pump, and AOS at the same time and had plugs and coils changed. My vehicle is almost like new now so I hope I can drive it for a long while with just oil changes and brake pad swaps.

I probably paid for a service that was not needed for a few years but possibly will enjoy my car more now.

I had a lot of questions whether or not changing a perfectly good bearing is necessary or introduces more risk. As they say better is sometimes the enemy of good. I will be very upset if my LNE bearing should fail given the original was in perfect shape and the shop used all of LNEs tools and procedures.
Would an oil analysis and a inspection the oil filter and pan not have been the tests done to make the decision in regards to changing the bearing now at so few miles vs later?

Last edited by 808Bill; 04-07-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mjberning

I was in a similar situation. Bought a 2000 C2 tip with 34xxx miles and swapped out the bearing immediately. Original IMSB came out intact(early dual row). I felt too that maybe I jumped the gun but had other work done at the same time like you. Was it premature? Maybe but I figured if I didn't do it and had a IMSB failure I would feel like an idiot so be happy in your decision. Drive the hell out of it

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)