996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.68%
No issues with IMS
91.32%
Voters: 1590. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Doubtful...a certified mechanic would not have installed the Solution if metal had been found during the pre-check.
For one example, go back a few pages and look at post #735.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:36 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
For one example, go back a few pages and look at post #735.
Example of what? You said "I've read about several mechanics installing the IMS Solution". Post #735 doesn't reference the IMS Solution - entirely different product than the Retrofit. A "certified" shop will not install the IMS Solution if the pre-qual fails - metal in the filter is a fail. Here's some info on certified installers:
http://theimssolution.com/certified-installers/
Old 02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Always remember that the products (with the exception of the IMS Solution) all have a "recommended time in service" as well as mileage for being serviced. This means that while you may not ever see the 50-75K miles the components are rated for, you can "time out" the product as well.

If you plan to go a very long time (calendar time) with a product, shorten the service intervals and approach with care. Corrosive wear is the thing to avoid, so watching TBN levels in the oil will help with that more than anything.
What is the "time" (not mileage) life expectancy of a LN ceramic IMSB? I've read all or most but don't recall a live span based on timeline and not mileage.

Last edited by 808Bill; 02-05-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:52 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Always remember that the products (with the exception of the IMS Solution) all have a "recommended time in service" as well as mileage for being serviced. This means that while you may not ever see the 50-75K miles the components are rated for, you can "time out" the product as well.

If you plan to go a very long time (calendar time) with a product, shorten the service intervals and approach with care. Corrosive wear is the thing to avoid, so watching TBN levels in the oil will help with that more than anything.
Originally Posted by 808Bill
What is the "time" (not mileage) life expectancy of a LN ceramic IMSB?
See post from JR a page back.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Hate to say this but once there's metal, they can trap in places only a full tear down can clean up. Have you checked the inside of the sump and see if there are more debris? Despite a new bearing, the lurkering debris can come back and haunt you later.

​​​​​
Originally Posted by Paul Gavazzi
Add me to the failure list... bought a 2000 996 30k miles in 2015 (Garage Queen). Put 20k miles on it; multiple oil changes; filter busted each time -- no metal; Clutch replacement at 50k miles; IMS Solution ordered (keeping the car); Oil changed about 5k ago -- drained oil -- METAL. I think I caught it in time. Pulling the bearing next week. IMS soltuion arrives Tuesday.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Paul Gavazzi
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Pulled the pan... sump is completely clean... Nothing in the pan. Will pull the bearing later this week. I'll post a photo when I do.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Paul Gavazzi
Track Day

Smile Think I will Buy a lottery ticket!

So... I pulled the bearing; put the flange off to the side; and looked over the bearing and it looked good! I am thinking... where the heck did those flakes come from... nothing from the bearing... tore it apart... looked good inside... damn! No smoking gun... no root cause. Three days later... I thought about the flange.. hmm. Nah.. the bearing internals or race fails, right? Nah... take a look at the photo... Well, that metal went somewhere!

So I think I caught this a just a few short miles before catastrophic failure!
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

So... I pulled the bearing; put the flange off to the side; and looked over the bearing and it looked good! I am thinking... where the heck did those flakes come from... nothing from the bearing... tore it apart... looked good inside... damn! No smoking gun... no root cause. Three days later... I thought about the flange.. hmm. Nah.. the bearing internals or race fails, right? Nah... take a look at the photo... Well, that metal went somewhere!

So I think I caught this a just a few short miles before catastrophic failure!
Thats not a wear surface. Looks to be a less than perfect flange casting. I don't see any debris generation from what the pic shows. That's a very early flange, hence the O ring instead of the triple lipped seal.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Paul Gavazzi
Track Day

Have you seen that type of imperfection before? If it didn't come from there I am at a loss. Could be something else internal. My option is now is to put it all back together... and check the filter every couple thousand miles. Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:54 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I hope you're not going to put the same bearing back in...

Last edited by 808Bill; 02-10-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 PM
D2000
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my bearing replaced at 78,000kms. Seemed to be fine. 2001 C4
Old 02-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Volkert
Racer

1998 C2 133000km (80kmiles) IMS bearing replaced with LN Engineering ceramic bearing together with clutch. Bearing came out clean, no issues.

Inspected the bearing today, pulled the seal. The grease was gone, it was lubricated only by engine oil. Bearing itself was still perfectly smooth. Glad I put the ceramic in without the seal, will be good for the rest of the car life.

Volkert

Last edited by Volkert; 02-24-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've owned my '99 for less than a week. No issues. Car has 64K miles on the clock.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Paul Gavazzi
Track Day

Pulled the pan... sump is completely clean... Nothing in the pan. Will pull the bearing later this week. I'll post a photo when I do.
Repair complete. New Clutch/Flywheel. IMS Soltion installed. I have about 500 miles on it now. One oil change, dropped the pan again, added a deep sump kit -- no metal in the Pan. Changed the oil filter twice since the oil change. Some, ever so slight bits. The last filter inspection hard to notice at all. I will change the oil once more but prognosis is good, I think.

One thing I have noticed is the car is MUCH smoother now. idles solid, accelerates smoothly... could be the IMS tube empty or the dual mass... either way it is a great improvement.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:30 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Repair complete. New Clutch/Flywheel. IMS Soltion installed. I have about 500 miles on it now. One oil change, dropped the pan again, added a deep sump kit -- no metal in the Pan. Changed the oil filter twice since the oil change. Some, ever so slight bits. The last filter inspection hard to notice at all. I will change the oil once more but prognosis is good, I think.

One thing I have noticed is the car is MUCH smoother now. idles solid, accelerates smoothly... could be the IMS tube empty or the dual mass... either way it is a great improvement.
Was the idle rough all of the time before, or intermittently? There are so many reasons the 996 engines can idle roughly.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)