996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.68%
No issues with IMS
91.32%
Voters: 1590. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
car is in the shop for IMS. Around $2500 (tiptronic). Going to get the AOS done along with whatever else (coils, belts, etc) and new tires. Going to get a LN bearing. Even though the car has 378xx miles given it hasn't been driven much in 17 years I didn't want to risk engine failure and what would be a loss of the car (doesn't make sense to get a new engine or engine swap). Hopefully after this wallet hit she's good to go to be driven hard for a bit. Looking forward to getting her out in limerock park for some DE come spring/summer
My exact conclusion. I changed my original bearing at 36,500 miles for an LN ceramic bearing from a well regarded local shop. For my planned use of the car I expect this to last the life of the car. Good Luck and have fun at one of my favorite tracks, Limerock Park.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

For my planned use of the car I expect this to last the life of the car.
Always remember that the products (with the exception of the IMS Solution) all have a "recommended time in service" as well as mileage for being serviced. This means that while you may not ever see the 50-75K miles the components are rated for, you can "time out" the product as well.

If you plan to go a very long time (calendar time) with a product, shorten the service intervals and approach with care. Corrosive wear is the thing to avoid, so watching TBN levels in the oil will help with that more than anything.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Hey Jake, I have put in a magnetic drain plug and I plan to change oil twice a year, before summer and before winter. I have done this with my last 2 Corvettes with low mileage and almost no winter mileage with great success. Is this a good schedule in your mind? Of course, I change the oil filter as well.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
Hey Jake, I have put in a magnetic drain plug and I plan to change oil twice a year, before summer and before winter. I have done this with my last 2 Corvettes with low mileage and almost no winter mileage with great success. Is this a good schedule in your mind? Of course, I change the oil filter as well.
This is the minimum that the oil should be serviced, if you are one of my customers. Always determine the oil service interval that your engine needs through used oil analysis.

I find that some of my customers could go longer than 6 months on an oil service, while others with the exact same car, and the same engine can't make it more than 4-5 months without the oil losing TBN, or having high TAN.

If you are going to ask the bearing to live longer than the recommended service interval in calendar time, then you'll need to do a little bit more.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:11 AM
Esfoad
Racer

10-4. Cheap insurance for sure. Oil is like the blood in our veins. Have to keep it in good shape if we want a long life.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:47 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
car is in the shop for IMS. Around $2500 (tiptronic). Going to get the AOS done along with whatever else (coils, belts, etc) and new tires. Going to get a LN bearing. Even though the car has 378xx miles given it hasn't been driven much in 17 years I didn't want to risk engine failure and what would be a loss of the car (doesn't make sense to get a new engine or engine swap). Hopefully after this wallet hit she's good to go to be driven hard for a bit. Looking forward to getting her out in limerock park for some DE come spring/summer
The less it's driven and the less frequent the oil is changed (even though the miles don't justify frequent oil changes) - the more the bearing is likely to fail. Low mileage and any periods of storage appear to be just as much a contributing factor as high mileage.

My dual-row IMS failed at 75k. It was in the "3rd stage of failure" as Mr. Raby described above, so it was just barely caught before destroying the engine. Did a full teardown, but the internals looked (and measured) perfect. Mobil1 0W40 might not be the best possible oil for our car, but it did a pretty spectacular job for 75k miles on mine. The piston rings even still had most of the black coating.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
The less it's driven and the less frequent the oil is changed (even though the miles don't justify frequent oil changes) - the more the bearing is likely to fail. Low mileage and any periods of storage appear to be just as much a contributing factor as high mileage.

My dual-row IMS failed at 75k. It was in the "3rd stage of failure" as Mr. Raby described above, so it was just barely caught before destroying the engine. Did a full teardown, but the internals looked (and measured) perfect. Mobil1 0W40 might not be the best possible oil for our car, but it did a pretty spectacular job for 75k miles on mine. The piston rings even still had most of the black coating.
this is why I opted to do the IMSB. As others have said it's a crap shoot. Dual row didn't buy my much insurance. Just have to eat the cost which is worth it for peace of mind. Changing our AOS as well.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:24 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tovasco
2000 C4 Cabriolet. For peace of mind I had mine replaced last year at 100,000Km by Flat 06 in Cagnes sur Mer. The cost for the replacement with a ceramic bearing, new RMS and oil and filter change was 1800 euros and I had the car back the same evening. I cut the old bearing open. It was dry with just granulated lube/carbon remaining. Wear was appearing, probably no more than another 4 or 5,000Km and BANG! I really feel that I dodged a bullet there. Some posters here seem to be pinning their hopes on double row bearings... take a look at mine.
It's hard to believe that bearing didn't get any engine oil inside. Seems like sitting in oil while stopped would eventually result in oil seeping past the seal.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:40 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA1970
It's hard to believe that bearing didn't get any engine oil inside. Seems like sitting in oil while stopped would eventually result in oil seeping past the seal.
Looks to me like the factory lube was very much compromised by oil, which is what JR was referencing above if I'm not mistaken. Removal of lube and subsequent lack of proper lubrication compromising the operating condition of the bearing. Chronically low TBN = chemical deconstruction of certain vulnerable internals, like the ball bearing imsb.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:32 AM
quaylon
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'99 C2 convertible, no problem w/ IMS. I had to replace the transmission at 69659 miles, so I had the dealer install the LN ceramic dual row for peace of mind.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

2000 C2 with a 12/99 build date. I was thinking of gambling and just leaving the IMS alone given it was a dual row but because the car has just barely 38k miles I decided to get it done while getting other work done as well. Here is the dual row that came out. The mechanic said that there was some oil leaking from the back seal.

Name:  IMG_9794.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  158.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9793.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  165.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9792.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9791.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  195.4 KB
Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Paul Gavazzi
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2000 C4 50k miles -- Oil Filter Metal

Add me to the failure list... bought a 2000 996 30k miles in 2015 (Garage Queen). Put 20k miles on it; multiple oil changes; filter busted each time -- no metal; Clutch replacement at 50k miles; IMS Solution ordered (keeping the car); Oil changed about 5k ago -- drained oil -- METAL. I think I caught it in time. Pulling the bearing next week. IMS soltuion arrives Tuesday.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2017, 08:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Gavazzi
Add me to the failure list... bought a 2000 996 30k miles in 2015 (Garage Queen). Put 20k miles on it; multiple oil changes; filter busted each time -- no metal; Clutch replacement at 50k miles; IMS Solution ordered (keeping the car); Oil changed about 5k ago -- drained oil -- METAL. I think I caught it in time. Pulling the bearing next week. IMS soltuion arrives Tuesday.
Hope you did catch it early enough. You'll have to report back and let us know if it qualifies for the Solution.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:50 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Hope you did catch it early enough. You'll have to report back and let us know if it qualifies for the Solution.
I've read about several mechanics installing the IMS Solution after metal has been found in the oil. At that point, according to LNE, it's too late. They say about inspecting the filter that "if ANY debris is present, the procedure must be aborted." They go on to reiterate this in all capital letters. See http://imsretrofit.com/pre-procedure-qualification/ .
Old 02-04-2017, 10:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
I've read about several mechanics installing the IMS Solution after metal has been found in the oil.
Doubtful...a certified mechanic would not have installed the Solution if metal had been found during the pre-check.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)