996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.67%
No issues with IMS
91.33%
Voters: 1591. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by deoslo
I had a new 2009 factory replacement put in my 2002 C2, after much research no one could tell me if Porsche fixed the problem in the new engine so I finally decided to go ahead and have it replaced. when my mechanic went in to do the retrofit he found that it couldn't be done and the bearing had been beefed up and should be good to go. anyone have any thoughts on this?
still confused!
Yeah I heard they beefed them up... You should be good to go
Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I just had my IMSB replaced with the LN Engineering ceramic IMS retrofit. As a 2002 car, mine has a single-row bearing. It was replaced at 125,301 miles. I didn't personally inspect my original bearing, but my mechanic told me that it looked good upon inspection, and it didn't appear to be showing any signs of impending failure.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Likely IMSB failure

I just purchased an '01 C4 with Tiptronic and 51K miles. Before I purchased, I checked for maintenance records with the local Porsche dealer and found that they had done about $9,000 worth of engine work at 33K miles.
The reason for the work was vague and kind of indicated a cam chain failure. The engine had died on the owner and could not be restarted. The work included flushing the engine, new IMS, new IMSB, new oil pump, new camshafts and chains, new main bearings and rod bearings, and misc. other related to a complete teardown and reassembly.
Because they replaced the main and rod bearings, it leads me to think there were particles in the engine and this was done to be certain any damage from that was contained and corrected. Unfortunately, it seems like the new IMSB was a stock Porsche part. The work was done in 2011.
Does anyone know if this new bearing is of any better quality than the original?
It is interesting to note that this damage occurred at the end of the second owner's use of the car. This person had put only 6000 miles on the car in five years.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I just purchased an '01 C4 with Tiptronic and 51K miles. Before I purchased, I checked for maintenance records with the local Porsche dealer and found that they had done about $9,000 worth of engine work at 33K miles.
The reason for the work was vague and kind of indicated a cam chain failure. The engine had died on the owner and could not be restarted. The work included flushing the engine, new IMS, new IMSB, new oil pump, new camshafts and chains, new main bearings and rod bearings, and misc. other related to a complete teardown and reassembly.
Because they replaced the main and rod bearings, it leads me to think there were particles in the engine and this was done to be certain any damage from that was contained and corrected. Unfortunately, it seems like the new IMSB was a stock Porsche part. The work was done in 2011.
Does anyone know if this new bearing is of any better quality than the original?
It is interesting to note that this damage occurred at the end of the second owner's use of the car. This person had put only 6000 miles on the car in five years.

So just to be clear, your car DID NOT experience IM$ failure but yet you still voted in this pole that your car experienced an IM$ failure. Is that correct???

Quick question for the moderators(others please feel free to chime in as well). I've experienced an ignition switch failure on my car(one of the few problems I have had in 8+ years of 996 ownership). Does this qualify me to vote in the affirmative in this pole? If so, please change my answer from nay to yea. I only ask because at least four or so voters(I've lost count) did not experience a failure(by their own admittance) yet voted that their car did indeed experience a failure...this does not even begin to take into account the phony bull$^t votes.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Dream Carrera,
Because the IMSB and the IMS shaft were both replaced and because there was metal particles throughout the engine, the Porsche service manager concluded that the IMSB was most likely at fault. He believed that the cam chain and cam damage were collateral damage from the bearing failure. Preponderance of evidence.....
Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Hey Dream Carrera,
Because the IMSB and the IMS shaft were both replaced and because there was metal particles throughout the engine, the Porsche service manager concluded that the IMSB was most likely at fault. He believed that the cam chain and cam damage were collateral damage from the bearing failure. Preponderance of evidence.....

You clearly state that the work order claimed "cam chain failure" as the reason for the engine issues...the IM$ bearing could very well have been replaced proactively. BTW, many issues could lead to metal in the engine.

Also, you just purchased the car with 51K miles but the work was done at 33K miles by the previous owner...did you speak to the service tech who did the work 18K miles(and presumably years) ago? If so, his memory could have been pretty vague.

My point is that you clearly do not know the exact cause of the engine damage but you chose to vote here on this pole that it was definitely the IM$ bearing...this is inaccurate and you should not have voted.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM
waynesworld
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 C2 w/36K miles and some track days. No issues.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 PM
peterfrans
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 c4s tiptronic, IMS failed at 55k miles. On disassembly i found that the ims drive chain tensioner paddle had broken. No other apparent damage.

Last edited by peterfrans; 07-29-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 AM
Urs4_2008
2nd Gear

Default IMS failed / replaced at 76k miles

This is what it looked like when dismounted. IMS didn't fail completely, but caught it just in time. Replaced with LN bearing.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Turbozombie
1st Gear

1999 996 Cab 100k miles, replaced IMS Bearing after finding metal shavings during oil change. Bearing was minutes from complete failure. Replaced with LN kit.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is what it looked like when dismounted. IMS didn't fail completely, but caught it just in time. Replaced with LN bearing.
You just saved $20,000, barely!

So just to be clear, your car DID NOT experience IM$ failure but yet you still voted in this pole that your car experienced an IM$ failure. Is that correct???
Look DC, we gotta keep the failure rate around 10% to keep the lawsuit money coming, so ease up!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM
caperss
Intermediate

No IMS issues 20002 996 C2 at 83k but I am having Raby's install the direct oil fed sollution so I can sleep nights
Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 PM
caperss
Intermediate

Sorry ppl fat fingers 2002
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Urs4_2008
2nd Gear

KrazyK; In Norway, this will cost you anywhere from $25.000 to £35.000. But yes, a lot of money and grief saved I just bought the car from Germany, and before taking it home to Norway I made a shop in Germany just replace the bearing to be on the safe side. The car was otherwise in great shape.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced my 2002 single row at 70K, old bearing looked perfect...

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)