996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.67%
No issues with IMS
91.33%
Voters: 1591. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

'99 C4 Aero. Engine replaced at 134,000 due to debris on highway taking out oil filter housing and starving engine of oil. Just bought car after engine replaced with 61,000 mile used engine by PO from a wrecked(t-boned) '99. PO upgraded IMS bearing along with other items on replacement engine during install. Technically, that's 2 engines without IMSB failure, but just voted once.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
ljschnel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingiro
1. pull the engine and transmission, just replace the failed part with the more reliable aftermarket one, add a different type of oil filtration system (non-bypass) and flush the engine. (no engine guarantee)
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I'm not sure why you'd have to pull the engine to flush the engine or install a new oil filtration system. Also, a high percentage of the M96s do not have failures, so that would seem to indicate that it would be cost prohibitive and ill advised to change the oiling system simply because you had an ISMB go out - especially because the new bearing should be good to go for a good long time with the stock oiling system.
How did your engine fail? Did it stall and then couldn't be restarted? That could be the end of an ISMB failure as it would indicate that the timing jumped and the valves crash landed into the pistons....in which case your mechanic would not be talking about a "clean out" and new bearing.
If you are lucky and your ISMB is just beginning to fail, you may walk away from this with just an engine flush (although that is pretty dubious and probably difficult to do properly) and a new bearing.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 AM
Ingiro
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ljschnel

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I'm not sure why you'd have to pull the engine to flush the engine or install a new oil filtration system. Also, a high percentage of the M96s do not have failures, so that would seem to indicate that it would be cost prohibitive and ill advised to change the oiling system simply because you had an ISMB go out - especially because the new bearing should be good to go for a good long time with the stock oiling system.
How did your engine fail? Did it stall and then couldn't be restarted? That could be the end of an ISMB failure as it would indicate that the timing jumped and the valves crash landed into the pistons....in which case your mechanic would not be talking about a "clean out" and new bearing.
If you are lucky and your ISMB is just beginning to fail, you may walk away from this with just an engine flush (although that is pretty dubious and probably difficult to do properly) and a new bearing.
You're right, you don't have to pull the engine to flush the oil and add a spin on type oil filter, but you do to replace the bearing, the transmission needs to come out as well-that's what I meant. Although, the more I consider this, it seems like this (cheaper) way really isn't the way to go. I think I really only have two choices. Spend the $$$ for a rebuild ($18-20k) or sell the car at a huge loss. I feel completely defeated here, either option blows! Considering my current financial situation I think I'm saying goodbye to my pristine 911.

Regarding how it happened: initially I thought I caught this problem early, after all, my car was still running well when I brought it into the shop. It had a low grinding whine coming from in between my transmission and engine, like someone threw a small bag of pebbles into a washing machine. It wasn't very loud, but there no less. When the tech at the shop pulled off the oil canister the oil was filled with gold colored metal flakes-another bad sign. Although after retracing my steps, I actually think, in fact I caught this problem rather late, and feel lucky that my engine didn't seize up. A day before noticing this whine/grind I recall backing the car into a parking space at work and hearing a very loud bang coming from the engine. All seemed fine, so I didn't give it much thought-incredibly stupid of me not to be more concerned then. Anyhow, at the end of that day I drove the car another 17 miles home, and it drove incredibly well, until I started to hear the grind closer to home. Why I didn't put the two together is crazy. I owned a '64 356C that from time to time would make odd sounds from the transmission in reverse, and was an amazing trouble-free car for 15 years. I also owned an old R80/7 BMW motorcycle that used to sound like a tractor going through the gears. So, I guess I just chalked up this sound as German quirkiness, and in no way ever think that it was my engine breaking! Crazy. What happened to German "bullet proof" engineering!? Did I mention I only owned my 996 for 3 months, which just pours salt on the wound!

Anyone interested in buying my car? 30k miles. It still has the new car smell-seriously. Immaculate condition in and out, brand new Michelin PS2's
I guess the fact that I also just had the 60k mile service is of no help since the engine needs a tear down.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ingiro - As this thread is not intended for discussion I will simply say I that I had a similar experience with my 2004 C4S and a good outcome. See this thread and go talk to a Porsche dealer or contact PCNA directly. Also review the thread on the class action settlement to see if your VIN is in range, you might, at minimum, qualify for 25%

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-for-pcna.html
Old 05-24-2013, 03:43 PM
u2zooedf
2nd Gear

Default 996 IMS failure

1999 996 with 94,000 miles IMS failure Yes
Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 PM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002 C2 Targa 6 speed w/63k miles no issues. Funny I never gave a thought about engine issues in the 10 years and 125,000 miles I owned my S2000.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Don996cab
Cruisin'

MY 2004 C4S 74K miles with no issues so far
Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingiro
You're right, you don't have to pull the engine to flush the oil and add a spin on type oil filter, but you do to replace the bearing, the transmission needs to come out as well-that's what I meant.
Only the transmission needs to be removed; not the engine.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I recently purchased a 2003 C2, with 101,000 miles. I had two mechanics inspect it, and there were no problems other than a possible air/oil separator that needed replacement.

But, after reading many forums, I decided to replace the IMSB (LN ceramic bearing replacement) and RMS, as preventative maintenance. Of course, once the engine was out, I quickly compiled a PM list of other stuff to replace (all hoses, belts, water pump, plugs, etc, etc.). So, $8,000 later, I have a car that feels factory new and I don't have to fret over a potential engine implosion due to IMSB.

I guess I have to be a paying member to post pix and an avatar? Maybe I will join after the Mastercard is paid off from the IMSB upgrade.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

$8k!!! it is only 1500-2000 for the IMS, where did the other $6k go?
I had the AOS, LN IMS done for $2k by a very reputable indy.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

2004 C2 44k miles. No issues but she goes into the shop tomorrow to replace the IMS. Just bought it and haven't even gotten my hands on it since a test drive Sat. I've been travelling this week and have to travel again next week so I won't get to touch it 'till next Thursday night, and I haven't been able to sleep since Saturday!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

2003 996 Cab with 40k miles. I found metal in my oil filter and decided to change it out as a precautionary measure. Once the tranny was out, you could see the IMSB was leaking from the flange. With the bearing was out, it had remarkably little play and appeared relatively intact but the bearing seal appeared to be leaking. I figured it only a matter of time before it failed. While we were In there, also changed out the clutch. The RMS was changed out about 18 months ago and was still in good shape.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Slopeslider
2003 996 Cab with 40k miles. I found metal in my oil filter and decided to change it out as a precautionary measure. Once the tranny was out, you could see the IMSB was leaking from the flange. With the bearing was out, it had remarkably little play and appeared relatively intact but the bearing seal appeared to be leaking. I figured it only a matter of time before it failed. While we were In there, also changed out the clutch. The RMS was changed out about 18 months ago and was still in good shape.
Why did you vote that your IM$B failed? It did not fail!!! The leakage that you saw in the IM$ area is not unusual and was most likely NOT from the IMS.

This thread is total BS...
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Why did you vote that your IM$B failed? It did not fail!!! The leakage that you saw in the IM$ area is not unusual and was most likely NOT from the IMS.

This thread is total BS...
Bit harsh there DC! IIRC bearings are not supposed to leak. I certainly wouldn't call that normal and would call that a sign of impending failure.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Re: "$8k!!! it is only 1500-2000 for the IMS, where did the other $6k go?
I had the AOS, LN IMS done for $2k by a very reputable indy."

The $8 k was the total bill for a variety of work I had done, not just the IMSB. New fron brakes & rotors, a tranny mount (there was a small crack), both front control arms & links,plugs, AOS, RMS, power steering hoses, all coolant hoses, air filter, cab filter, all three wiper blades, and some misc. other little parts.

A bit of the "as long as the engine's out I might as well.." syndrome.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)