Sponsored by:

stereo options???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 06:39 PM
RegularGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default stereo options???

My stereo was stolen just before transport. (or so the seller stated) Is there anything that people like in the 996s specifically, and for what reason? I guess I'm wondering if any companies made a specific model for these cars. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:56 PM
Boff
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts

An important question is the year of your car and what kind of system was in there originally (look on your option sticker under the frunk lid).

Most guys prefer a factory or at least period-correct look. You can buy one of the original head units on eBay pretty easily and in most cases you can make them Bluetooth ready.

If you want a more modern single DIN unit then one of the Continental units is very popular. You can even buy a Porsche sticker to cover the Continental name. The Blaupunkt Bremen is also very cool but hard to get now I think.

Porsche makes a double DIN touchscreen unit called PCCM+ that looks awesome and works pretty well. Demerits are cost, lack of backup camera functionality, lack of wireless CarPlay/Android Auto, and some install hiccups in some cases.

Too lazy to add pic or links but this should get you started.

Last edited by Boff; 10-10-2022 at 06:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PBradz (10-22-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 08:18 PM
RegularGuy
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I should have said that it is a 04TT.

and since I know someone here will smartly mention that Porsche made a radio for your car… I’ll just be proactive and say that I’m not looking for an OEM unit.

I’m looking for an aftermarket unit with all the new bells and whistles, such as Bluetooth, phone mirroring, back up camera, etc.

It had a double den unit that was stolen, I think Alpine but I’m not positive. This is all that’s left…

It had a double den unit that was stolen, I think Alpine but I’m not positive. This is all that’s left…
Old 10-10-2022, 08:44 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Go check out CAI stereo's, they got every kit you could want for the Porsche, design to use in the Porsche.

https://cai-store.com/
Old 10-12-2022, 02:18 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Even though it’s out of production, these Sony Carplay units still are about the best oem-ish look I’ve seen and have the all-important volume ****. You can review the install thread here https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...face-long.html

Old 10-12-2022, 05:33 PM
Schu3507
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I did continental and wt Porsche sticker looks great. Has BT and such. Hands free talking. Got harness from place in Norway. Plug and play. Hardest part was removing stock stereo.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:44 PM
allcool
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

My cdr220 was out completely, as was the climate control unit when I got this 01 996. Someone (was told 'best buy stereo installer') hacked into (shorted out) the dash/stereo/ign wiring trying to install remote start unsuccessfully at previous owners request.
My immobilizer controller and key fobs still don't work, well thats next project, or maybe even after the top hydraulics and new canvas top/headliner get done. No shortage of things to do on most 996. At least it runs great, purrs like a kitten at idle and revs right to redline fast/smooth as silk. and I've done an oil fed imsb, rms/clutch are done, as are most all the engine maintenance items...

I went the least expensive modern multi media route for what was needed imo. Didn't care to keep the old look. Personally, wanted a modern gps map program i could speak to easily making traveling/driving much more enjoyable. That would be google maps imo. I've had expensive gps nav units from Porsche, GM, Ford, Ram, BMW, etc... and think they all are subpar compared to google maps using AA or Car play, imo... paying for out dated oem map updates compared to google map daily free updates makes no sense to me. As most know, just talk in an address and its up on the screen almost instantly. No telling it to navigate first, just an address, a restaurant name, or even a place or intersection, and you are there on the touch screen....

My amp was also out, or couldn't get it to power up even with the wake up wire energized correctly.
Fixed the dash wiring and installed the least expensive double din wireless car play Android Auto 60watts 4 channel I could find. A Jensen710w iirr, on Amazon for $400. Its even got sub rca outs, and a backup camera rca.

Got the Meta install kit for $23 on Amazon and the wire harness for $16.

Got the head unit in and running, could hear the speakers crackling and popping, ng.

Got 4 Scosche 4" dash & rear speakers from Walmart for $21 a pair. The old Porsche dash/rear speakers came out in dusty crumbs, the foam ring that connects the old speakers to the frame was mia. Used the old speaker frames to mount the new speakers, with a little modification and JB weld they screwed right in clamping down the 4" scosche perfectly. With the new speakers it transformed the sound. No more crackling/popping/clipping, just good clear sound now. The old Porsche dash/rear speakers were junk... Luckily the door speakers seem ok...
Got microphone and usb port mounted in the empty oval switch plugs on top left of the horseshoe panel. Need some detail work on them that will come in the future.

Got a cheap $45 Boss 200watt 2-4 ohm amp for the door speakers as they are 2 ohm. The door speakers seemed to work ok, no cracking or popping, but will also change them when I eventually get the door panels out. Had a barely discernible engine whine till I added a separate ground wire for the amp.

All in all, very happy with the $550 total install. Got more details to tidy up on the wiring and here and there, but for now it works good. Not a huge audio head here, but my girl is. She says it sounds great..? Its plenty loud enough at half volume with the top down. No clipping/popping just clear nice music to my ears, with surprisingly good bass from the old door speakers.? Got the head unit amp gain for the door woofers at 1.

Now I'm sure its not as good as expensive head unit/speakers, how could it be for $550, but for the 21 year old 996 thats got lot$ more work to be done, its fine for me to add inexpensive, good looking imo, hands free multi media wireless AA Car Play, bringing the 996 out of the dark ages....

Last edited by allcool; 10-13-2022 at 11:13 AM.
damage98MO (10-15-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 08:23 PM
RegularGuy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Even though it’s out of production, these Sony Carplay units still are about the best oem-ish look I’ve seen and have the all-important volume ****. You can review the install thread here https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...face-long.html

That does look clean! Are the newer (available) models just as clean?

Old 10-13-2022, 09:50 AM
Dagsvik
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 27 Posts

I did the double din unit.

Like you, I wanted Nav, Bluetooth, back up camera…Porsche purists be damned!

But! I sure do miss a real volume ****.

EVOMMM (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 01:13 PM
keviha
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's what a Porsche PCCM+ looks like installed in an 03' with Bose. As noted above, there are some who find the price and lack of wireless Carplay and backup camera to be non-starters. The upside is it looks like it belongs with volume **** and buttons, including proper white font, nighttime button color, it works really well and as a Porsche Classic Parts release, it would typically be viewed as a positive in resale situation versus aftermarket solution. In my case, I live close to CAI who did a great job of installing including modifying the 'batwing' to include the USB ports for an "OEM like" look. Good luck!

Last edited by keviha; 10-13-2022 at 01:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by keviha:
Boff (10-13-2022), damage98MO (10-15-2022), plpete84 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 01:28 PM
Boff
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by keviha
Here's what a Porsche PCCM+ looks like installed in an 03' with Bose. As noted above, there are some who find the price and lack of wireless Carplay and backup camera to be non-starters. The upside is it looks like it belongs with buttons and proper white font, nighttime button color, works really well and as a Porsche Classic Parts release, it would typically be viewed as a positive in resale situation versus aftermarket solution. In my case, I live close to CAI who did a great job of installing including modifying the 'batwing' to include the USB ports for an "OEM like" look. Good luck!
Yeah I don’t care about wireless CP or no backup camera. I just wish they made a shiny button version to match my 996.1.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:25 AM
JamieD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Kenwood unit installed, along with a new amp & speakers. Has most all of the bells & whistles.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:43 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 598 Posts

Sport mufflers with 200 cell cats is the system I use. Optimum sound quality is above 4,000 rpm. I honestly only use the BT.

Last edited by hatchetf15; 10-14-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Elumere (10-15-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:26 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Becker will add bluetooth to the original radios.. if I've read the options correctly...
Old 10-15-2022, 12:31 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Will install vintage in the future.

Quick Reply: stereo options???