Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Simple 3-step complete coolant drain (updated w/ refill procedure + water pump tips)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
BTW, you don't need Porsche's coolant with 300% markup. They don;t make coolants and I use Zerex G40 which is 100% .
Actually, Porsche coolant is similarly priced at $37.7 per gallon. I would say no need to go aftermarket at all.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...hoC4dAQAvD_BwE
Old 02-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Just to follow up on my last post. My UView showed up yesterday, as promised. Put it to use right away. Used one of the stoppers to seal the reservoir and pressurized the system to push the coolant out of the radiators. Then I used a wet rag to seal around the nozzle to clear the heater core. Amazing how much was still remaining after the engine was drained.

Still have a few things to do before I will be ready to do a water-only flush.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:21 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

plastic trim remover keeping hose in drain mode

Coolant drain plug "rounding off"

El cheapo gizmo

Ready to apply 8psi

a view from a step back

Car about 2-3 inches higher in the front
I started by raising the car about 2 inches higher in the front and let gravity take out as much as it could......I went with "el cheapo" gadget (38.00 shipped) from Amazon.....the coolant drain plug started rounding off...that thing is super tight (even though sprayed for 2 days with wd-40 before the work started)....going the old way of removing hoses and applying some air pressure to flush...also struggled with the big hose...I used a little plastic gadget used to remove trim...kept it open enough to drain the whole thing under air pressure...will refill with distilled water...run it for a while and flush again.....then remove the heater core and wait for the new one to replace (it is leaking)...that is in another thread...https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...the-vents.html
Old 10-11-2019, 03:39 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Wow, that's some ugly looking coolant... I think you chose a good time to change it out. Go with the pink stuff this time
The following users liked this post:
85eurocarrera (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:12 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
Wow, that's some ugly looking coolant... I think you chose a good time to change it out. Go with the pink stuff this time
I think this one is a blue/purple OAT ....have not opened the bottle to confirm....UPDATE: It is yellow/green...very light in color

Free of the bad stuff

Last edited by pesuazo; 10-29-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:26 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by pesuazo
..the coolant drain plug started rounding off...that thing is super tight (even though sprayed for 2 days with wd-40 before the work started)....
That's because WD-40 is great for displacing water (WD=Water Displacement) but doesn't do a darn thing as a penetrating oil.

I'm a Kroil man myself (Kroil Deal). But, PB Blaster and even the old standby of ATF mixed with Acetone work as well.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:00 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by billh1963
That's because WD-40 is great for displacing water (WD=Water Displacement) but doesn't do a darn thing as a penetrating oil.

I'm a Kroil man myself (Kroil Deal). But, PB Blaster and even the old standby of ATF mixed with Acetone work as well.
Yup, WD is not the best product for this use.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:10 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Great idea and very original

Spruden, I just cut a circle out of a 1/8" rubber sheet and cut a hole in the middle of it to accept the air hose. Really no need to be air-tight at all. In fact, being not air-tight gives you some control on how fast you want the coolant to GUSH out

Also, a few PSI is more than enough.

How much air is needed to get the Remaining fluid to flow? Would it be possible with a tire inflator instead of a compressor?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:06 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
How much air is needed to get the Remaining fluid to flow? Would it be possible with a tire inflator instead of a compressor?
No, tire inflator won’t put out enough volume of air, you can use a small 6 gallon pancake compressor which is what I used.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:22 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
No, tire inflator won’t put out enough volume of air, you can use a small 6 gallon pancake compressor which is what I used.
I wonder if a leaf blower or output of a shop vac would work (applied loosely rather than with a tight seal to no blow too much air)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:21 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterp
I wonder if a leaf blower or output of a shop vac would work (applied loosely rather than with a tight seal to no blow too much air)
That’s not a bad idea at all, you will just have to rig something to reduce the diameter to fit.

I also used the compressor to power the UVIW 550000 vacuum device to fill the coolant, don’t think that’s possible with a leaf blower or Shop-Vac.

Last edited by aviography; 06-14-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:45 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterp

Wow. Yeah that should be enough air but I might try something a little less drastic. This is what happens when your work takes you out of state and you leave your compressor at home. For now, what is it that keeps the radiators from just draining by gravity to the rear? Is there an air lock that needs to be overcome or does the compressor have to provide enough pressure to lift the coolant above a threshold of some sort?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:22 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Well, the tire inflator didn't seem to work but I didn't have very good seal either. In addition, I had the back of the car raised a little so front end down. Does the front end need to be up to keep the car horizontal?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:46 AM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by c didy
Well, the tire inflator didn't seem to work but I didn't have very good seal either. In addition, I had the back of the car raised a little so front end down. Does the front end need to be up to keep the car horizontal?
Didn’t expect the small tire inflator would work as previously mentioned due to lack of airflow volume.

A small amount of variation from being level shouldn’t matter much.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:08 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aviography
Didn’t expect the small tire inflator would work as previously mentioned due to lack of airflow volume.

A small amount of variation from being level shouldn’t matter much.

I use a small shop vac and got good air flow. It was blowing air out of the disconnected water pump hose. Still did not get a gusher though. Only about three gallons total so far. I think there is something going on, would a stuck thermostat do this?

Quick Reply: Simple 3-step complete coolant drain (updated w/ refill procedure + water pump tips)