Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Joe Gibbs DT40?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Kevin, I didnt post that. I was pointing out the contrast between diesel engine VS. gasoline engine and the absurdity to compare the two. I ran Rotella in all the diesels I owned and my brother does as well.

I think the JG DT40 is more M96 specific than Rotella though I dont know of any formal test that backs that up other than what JR was willing to post. Mobil1 0-40W apparently is not as suitable as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts

Also, I wouldn't consider 7k rpm a high-revving engine. Middle of the road at best.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

LOL, compared to what? A 6.7L Cummins or a 500CC two stroke?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Guys the standard that we should be following is a REVERSE in the metal wear trend. If you have a oil that is lowing metal wear. Stick with it. There are alot of folks runing Rotella in there GT2, GT3's and have GREAT Blackstone reports..

I wouldn't toss Jon's report down the drain until he gets another test in the books. Shouldn't see metal wear increases.

FYI I strongly recommend Mobil 1 VTwin 20W50 for ALL aircooled engines..
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Meares
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
JR has done the research and testing for you. Why cloud the issue or reinvent the wheel? Do your IMSB, RMS, etc., flush with JG BR oil. Refill with JG DT40. Your done. Say thank you to JR and move on.
+1
Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Meares
Racer

i get my mobil1 0w-40 for free (and any oil for that matter,) and i'm going to start with jake's engine flush and then the DT40 ......i am curious about the mobile 1 5w-40 though...i think it's for mercedes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

posted by the guy that fragged his M96 engine.

You might want to read this whole thread to get the context.
Please don't draw conclusions based on supposition and turn this into a Mobil 1 witch hunt. Most oil threads are just that, supposition, because it is near impossible to determine if it is the oil or something else that caused the issue, unless there is a full history of oil tests supporting it. Show me a few oil tests in the same car, with Mobil 1 indicating abnormal wear, then a DT40 oil change, no other changes, and all the wear stops, and then it will be more convincing. Thousands & thousands of M96 are running Mobil1 0-40, and the streets aren't littered with their carcasses. As mentioned before, Jake sees all the problems, and statistically, he never would after he does his rebuilds, as he address many other issues. We're not talking Sears 30 weight Dino oil here. There is absolutely NO indication that Mobil 1 fragged the OPs engine. Just a few metal particles in the right oil ports preventing flow, would have caused the same thing, with ANY oil. I'll bet we can find many owners with Blackstone reports on Mobil 1 that show no abnormal wear. Had the OP removed the oil pan and checked for any debris when he got he car? He didn't, so anything is inconclusive. I could just as easily lay the blame on the Porsche bypass oil filter system. After all, they all have that, and JR changes to the spin on adapter and full filtration, and the engines don't detonate. (I happen to fully agree with that design point though) I agree that DT40 is more likely a better oil for the M96 than Mobil 1, as are many others, I'm sure, because of the low zinc content, in the latter formulations, and that is one of the reasons I switched. If I change my oil every 3k miles with 5w-40 Syntec, are you telling me you can prove that I will get less wear and never have an oil related engine problem if I switch & do the same thing with DT40? Do you have oil tests of the previous changes on your car, and them will you have them or the DT40 when you make the switch? Anyone? Since all M96 come with Mobil 1 and that is what the vast majority of oil changes are made with, OF COURSE, all the failures will have engines with Mobil 1 in them. So is D-chunking cause by Mobil 1? IMS failure by Mobil 1...Cause and effect must be proven or strongly linked, not just be coincidence or scapegoating. My $0.02.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Capt., diesel is a lubricant. Gasoline is a solvent. Thats why you see 1,000,000+ mile diesels and not P-cars. Diesel engine not at all relevant.

JR has done the research and testing for you. Why cloud the issue or reinvent the wheel? Do your IMSB, RMS, etc., flush with JG BR oil. Refill with JG DT40. Your done. Say thank you to JR and move on.

If you track your 996, thats a whole other issue.
wow, are you and JR dating?

I've never seen anyone become the nutswinger you have so quickly.

Yes, JR is great for the community and has tons of knowledge on the m96.

But to act like no one else could have a valid opinion is absurd.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow, are you and JR dating?

I've never seen anyone become the nutswinger you have so quickly.
You have the gall to doubt MrK Knutswinger?? On an OIL thread? Quad......you are not alone. I have read the 5+ pages of this lunacy and I want my time back.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Meares
i get my mobil1 0w-40 for free (and any oil for that matter,) and i'm going to start with jake's engine flush and then the DT40 ......i am curious about the mobile 1 5w-40 though...i think it's for mercedes
Some variations of Mobil 1 5w-40 are Mercedes approved but there are a few variations that are Porsche approved. Look for "A40" on the bottle which indicates the oil is specifically Porsche approved.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 2300cc
I am actually planning on making this change this winter, I will be using the break-in oil, JG advised me just to warm up the engine with it and drive around the block a couple of times and than put in the DT-40.
This is about the most ridiculous thing I've come across in a while in an oil thread.

So you use a non approved oil to "flush" the engine of an approved oil. This oil is the wrong viscosity. Probably mineral oil based but I've not bothered to look up its MSDS.

('course the turbo diesel oil is great crowd doesn't let 10% or 20% mineral oil content in some of these oils scare them...)

Then with some of this unapproved oil still in the engine you then fill it with another unapproved oil.

If you are going to use an unapproved oil if the engine so desperately needs this magic DT-40 oil why not flush the engine with this oil to begin with?

Thus when you refill the engine after draining the flushing oil the concentration of this DT-40 oil is higher than it would be using an intermediate flushing oil.

What in God's name is the next step in this oil madness? Changing the oil during a solar eclipse? Using an ancient Maya calendar?
Animal sacrifices at oil change time?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

This thread is getting better and better
Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
You have the gall to doubt MrK Knutswinger?? On an OIL thread? Quad......you are not alone. I have read the 5+ pages of this lunacy and I want my time back.
Can anyone recommend a good windshield washing fluid that won't blow up my car?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:29 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

I am actually planning on making this change this winter, I will be using the break-in oil, JG advised me just to warm up the engine with it and drive around the block a couple of times and than put in the DT-40.
I think hes doing exactly what JR recommended. So what exactly is ridiculous?

I think I understand why JR is hesitant to post some of his research methods and findings. It offends the sheep. How quickly they attack when you reveal their Mobil1's issues with the M96. Its a good thing JR didnt listen when the "experts" told him he couldnt replace the IMSB.

My JG oil arrived yesterday. I plan to do the same when I replace IMSB, RMS, and clutch.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:40 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

IBTL.

BTW, There are sheeps on BOTH sides.

"who you calling sheep, sheep?"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs DT40?