Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 3.4 Exhaust Options

Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding using 200 Cell cats, Do you need to replace the oxygen sensors?
...should they be replaced at the same time or just use the existing ones?
...both "before" and "after" sensors?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:54 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Correct. Completely gutted. No drone... The best way I can describe it is, it sounds very Ferrari-ish.. The mufflers by themselves sound incredible, but much better with the 200 cell cats. And----There was NO low-end loss of torque with this setup and we have experimented with a a number of combinations. PM me if you want to discuss more...
Reviving this old thread....the gutting is an interesting option that I had not considered. My 996 is pretty much a dedicated track car with some aftermarket exhaust that I don't like the sound of but it is lightweight. SO I have been considering other options to maximize the following benefits:
1) Great sound with no drone
2) Lower weight
3) More horsepower (though I am concerned about low end torque)

I have been considering the following:
1) Gundo hack my current low weight after markets
2) Just spend the dough and go for Fabspeed Maxflo
3) Muffler bypass - Low cost, low weight and loud probably bad for low end torque

Thoughts?

S
Old 06-07-2014, 02:02 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm really happy with my setup. Great sound without any drone during regular driving. I have performance headers, cat bypass pipes and B&B mufflers.

Originally Posted by lowpue
Reviving this old thread....the gutting is an interesting option that I had not considered. My 996 is pretty much a dedicated track car with some aftermarket exhaust that I don't like the sound of but it is lightweight. SO I have been considering other options to maximize the following benefits:
2) Lower weight

3) Muffler bypass - Low cost, low weight and loud probably bad for low end torque

Thoughts?

S
Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

2) Lower weight

Thoughts?

S
Try what I recommended!!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:28 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Try what I recommended!!
Seriously considering but would doing what you recommend the same as a muffler bypass but weigh a bit more????

What did it cost you to strip the internals?
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Try what I recommended!!
BTW pmkazz.... love your car. A white Aero looks so good. Yellow is the next best thing but my preference is white.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Seriously considering but would doing what you recommend the same as a muffler bypass but weigh a bit more????

What did it cost you to strip the internals?
I would not do muffler bypass. There are a few things that are required in exhaust systems and your car. One is some back pressure. Long story but trust me.

Cost depends. the company that did the original set charged $700. because there some labor involved. You can probable do them yourself if you have some some cutting and grinding tools and a good welder. And of course you know how to weld well.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

BTW pmkazz.... love your car. A white Aero looks so good. Yellow is the next best thing but my preference is white.

This is beautiful looking.. I love the wheels!!!! And the color...
Old 06-08-2014, 01:24 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always do the exhaust that is guaranteed to give you serious power. You know the one with the turbine attached to the exhaust... LOL Tpc turbo kit
Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BiteEmNBeatEm
You could always do the exhaust that is guaranteed to give you serious power. You know the one with the turbine attached to the exhaust... LOL Tpc turbo kit
LOL
Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Gutting the mufflers does sound very interesting. Does it sound like a muffler bypass or is it more tame?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts

For the money, you can't beat the Fabspeed cans if you're looking for a good mix of sounding pissed off while remaining refined enough for daily driving.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Capt. I agree, however if I go the Fabspeed route its got to be the Fabspeed Supercups and those are a little steep on price.
My original cans are just laying around collection dust and I think it will be fun experimenting with them, but if I'm going to do all that work I don't want it to sound just like a muffler bypass.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996pp
Capt. I agree, however if I go the Fabspeed route its got to be the Fabspeed Supercups and those are a little steep on price.
My original cans are just laying around collection dust and I think it will be fun experimenting with them, but if I'm going to do all that work I don't want it to sound just like a muffler bypass.
It "will not" sound like a muffler bypass.......
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steepsnow
I have some related questions as I have a damaged "Cat." I am considering Cargraphic and Fabspeed replacements with 200 cell Cats.

I also have OEM, PSE with a rattle on one side. Thus, I have two options: 1) repair the PSE by having an exhaust shop open and repair loose parts in the PSE muffler or 2) replace the mufflers. Would new mufflers combined with their matching cats from the same Mfg improve performance or just the "sound" as compared to the repairing the PSE mufflers?

Lastly, what about the headers? Are the Stock headers good enough or would it make sense to replace them along with the Cats? ...and possibly the mufflers?

Basically, the question comes do whether or not all three parts together are required to reap any real benefits as compared to just changing the cats.

Also does it require other parts or ECU programming to truly get a performance benefit of any or all of these exhaust mods- as compared to just some volume and tone changes?

Thanks!
Steepsnow: I have added the FisterD Stage III Titanium Sport mufflers and Speed Venture X Pipe with 200 cell high flow cats. I noticed immediately the improvement in performance, and sound and continue to do so every time I drive my car. The speed venture system is equal to the fabspeed system, IMHO. My buddie has the same setup as mine except that he paid about $500 more for the Fabspeed X pipe and high flow cats. I drove his car before he did the upgrades and I have driven it since the upgrade. My car feels stronger and it just feels solid. Again, just my opinion and I like to share with my fellow RL'ers Good luck on whatever you decide
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 3.4 Exhaust Options