996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The 996 legacy

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 AM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fortunate to own several P cars. Two air cooled's, a 997C4S, and a fully track prepped 996 for DE's.

I just love the 996. It's so much more capable than my air cooled cars with a purchase price (fully track prepped) in the low 20's. also must admit to liking the headlights... Go figure. While the 3.4 can't keep up with the 3.8 it's really not that far behind. I have the Fisker hack mufflers which really make the 996 howl under hard acceleration.

So to sum up, I really don't have a favorite year they all seem to have their place. The 996 is so capable And affordable it's just hard not to really appreciate them.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
pss10's
GT3-03 Tailbase with 55'' RS/Cup Wing
GT3 RS Front Bumper
GT2 Front Splitter
GT3 RS Rockers
Found all of them here. No affiliation.
http://www.gettydesign.com/996_bodywork.html
Well all but the wing will fit my car...Hmmm, something to put on my list for Santa.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 PM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
I don't know if I have ever disagreed more strongly with a comment in the 12 years I have been on Rennlist.
Says the guy with the car I described.

Look. It's not personal. You guys can convince yourselves all you want, but the fact is that very few people find the standard 996 to be an attractive car. In fact, it’s almost universally panned for its dopey appearance. There’s just no love out there for the poor NB 996. Sorry.

Naturally, a bunch of NB 996 owners in a forum group dedicated to said car would disagree, as well you should. There is no denying the many virtues of the NB 996, but that isn’t the premise of the thread. The question is, what will be the legacy of the 996?

Aside from a few exceptions (widebodies and GT3), it doesn’t look good for the future values and reputation.

Unlike the 964 that suffered “ugly stepchild” status for some time and has since bounced back, the criticism of that car was never really aesthetic.

Ask any used car dealer if they want a NB 996 on their lot and they’ll tell you it’s a salesproof car. It will sit for months until some kid that just wants to drive a Porsche crashes it on a test drive.

Go to any non Porsche specific auto enthusiast event and watch the snickering and snide remarks. It’s sad. I don’t think it’s right, but it’s the truth.

Like others have suggested, the trick with a NB 996 is to love it and drive it for the fantastic car that is with no expectation that it will be a collectors item one day.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 PM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BruceP
See, now, I was totally supportive of you expressing your opinion on what is an entirely subjective question, right up until you implied that opposing opinions were delusional. Thus, the troll line is crossed.
I really don't mean to suggest they are delusional. I just think they're missing the point.

I like Taco Bell burritos. I also know that just because I like them, doesn't mean they are good. If I went around telling everyone that Taco Bell made the best Mexican food, well. You get the picture?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rrrockhound
A longhood 911S's resemblance to a 912 doesn't seem to have hurt its value too much. I think there's a fanboy feedback loop at work here that says certain models will always be lesser, and public opinion follows.
I mean really? You're putting a Boxster and 912 in the same category? Think this one through man.

The Bosxter was introduced to the market as an entry level car for the brand. Then in Porsche's infinite wisdom they introduce their new flagship car with the same front end? I understand the cost savings involved, but it would have done the 996 a huge favor if they had just changed that Miata bumper right from the start.

The 912 is a less expensive 911 unlike a NB 996 which is perceived as an overpriced Boxster. (Don't tell me how it isn't. I know. I said perceived.)
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
I don't know if I have ever disagreed more strongly with a comment in the 12 years I have been on Rennlist.
Yeah...actually the man has a point. I'm a *very* happy MkII 996 owner. Mine has performace mods on the dark side of sensible and it scratches pretty much all the itchy parts. But a beauty queent it ain't.

I got a compliment the other day from a road check RCMP officer (of all people). After he verified I hadn't been drinking he started gushing about how beautifil my car was...I was dumbstruck. As I drove away I tried to tell him how great the car was *despite* how it looked.

Unlike John however, I do think time will treat the aesthetics well. I never liked the 964 because of the door sills and the bulbous bumper, but I always admired the mechanicals. I have gotten past the looks these days, and I think in anther 15 years the 996 will be appreciated as a whole package.

The 997 however will *always* be the prettier car.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by producerjohn
...very few people find the standard 996 to be an attractive car. In fact, it’s almost universally panned for its dopey appearance. There’s just no love out there for the poor NB 996. Sorry.
You are truly enlightened.... Must be great to know exactly what everybody else thinks!

I do agree that some 996's look pretty hideous. Let's just say that based on your other thread, we definitely don't share the same automotive taste...

Last edited by pfbz; 12-28-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 AM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
You are truly enlightened.... Must be great to know exactly what everybody else thinks!

I do agree that some 996's look pretty hideous. Let's just say that based on , we definitely don't share the same automotive taste...

Nice try. If you had actually read the thread you're referencing you'd have noticed that I posted the first two pics as examples of how bad even a wide body can look.
That thread was about how wheel sizes and ride height effects the look of a 996 C4S.

Regardless, I don't expect many people here to agree with my mod choices as it's pretty clear I'm no purist. Also, I'm not trying to convince anyone that what I like is what should be "liked"

BTW, we disagree that this is a great example of a 996? It happens to be the very same car as the one in the 3rd pic you site. The new owner hadn't had the Rotoform wheels added yet.

Anyway, you dig NB 996's? Great. So do I kinda. Not many people agree with us. Don't shoot the messenger.

This reminds me of the time I posted a thread on another forum telling them that Ed Hardy cloths are lame, lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Fwiw somebody asked me yesterday as we peeped into the garage if my car was the "new GTS". I think definitely there is love amongst the wider audience for the "specials" like the widebodies
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by producerjohn
Look. It's not personal. You guys can convince yourselves all you want, but the fact is that very few people find the standard 996 to be an attractive car. In fact, it’s almost universally panned for its dopey appearance. There’s just no love out there for the poor NB 996. Sorry.
Excellent Trolling

Personally, I'm in the camp that's glad that the Porschephile community dislikes the 996 because it looks like a Boxster or it's just not "attractive". They have contributed to the undervaluing of this fine drivers car and lighted the load on my wallet.
To the rest of the general public, 993=996=997=991=Boxster=Porsche.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

god this is such stupid nonsense.

people, who cares what the general public, jim bob your neighbor, or the rcmp or whatever think about your car. If you like it, then be done with it, or admit that its a vanity exercise.

Anybody who buys a modern car (with maybe 2 exceptions) for resale value needs their head examined.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
god this is such stupid nonsense.

people, who cares what the general public, jim bob your neighbor, or the rcmp or whatever think about your car. If you like it, then be done with it, or admit that its a vanity exercise.

Anybody who buys a modern car (with maybe 2 exceptions) for resale value needs their head examined.
What he said.

Add to that the easy credit/lease stupidity of the time and you realize that the major element of depreciation is the sheer numbers of 996s purchased during the period.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:39 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Excellent Trolling

Personally, I'm in the camp that's glad that the Porschephile community dislikes the 996 because it looks like a Boxster or it's just not "attractive". They have contributed to the undervaluing of this fine drivers car and lighted the load on my wallet.
To the rest of the general public, 993=996=997=991=Boxster=Porsche.
Exactly, most non-car people think the 996 is very new, and better looking than all the bug eyed Porsches. I don't agree with how 997 or 993 owners seem to dislike the 996, but I don't care. It's that irrational dislike that allowed me to buy one so cheaply. My favorite comment I once read was claiming the the change from 996 to 997 was the greatest turnaround in automotive styling history. I thought that comment was hilarious, because they look almost exactly the same other than the headlights. I have had 3 different dealers ask me in the last year if I was willing to sell because of the demand for 10 year old 911's. I really like my car, and so does everyone I've ever met in person.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570
Exactly, most non-car people think the 996 is very new, and better looking than all the bug eyed Porsches. I don't agree with how 997 or 993 owners seem to dislike the 996, but I don't care. It's that irrational dislike that allowed me to buy one so cheaply. My favorite comment I once read was claiming the the change from 996 to 997 was the greatest turnaround in automotive styling history. I thought that comment was hilarious, because they look almost exactly the same other than the headlights. I have had 3 different dealers ask me in the last year if I was willing to sell because of the demand for 10 year old 911's. I really like my car, and so does everyone I've ever met in person.
I was at my chiropractor's office yesterday and he saw me drive up in my 996. When I went in for my appointment he took me outside to show me his brand new to him 07 997 C2S with tech art package. Only 13k miles. He just got it yesterday. We were joined by several guys from the waiting room, all car guys apparently and after giving his car the once over (beautiful btw) they moved on to mine. Of course my interior did not have the bells and whistles and one of the guys asked me what year mine was. When I told him 03 he looked at both cars again said, "Boy, they haven't changed much". That pretty well sums it up for me.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I look at the depreciation schedules of other models, I don't see that the 996 is following a dramatically different path than most other 9xx series cars. The significant sales of the 996 conflicts with claims that they're so ugly. Had sales tanked, there would have been a dramatic, immediate style change (if necessary).

Yet, it's just a car. For the company's first foray into a consumer-based, mass-produced, water-cooled flat 6 -- it's had remarkably few problems, and no genuine fatal flaws. Yep, there are items that have limited service lives -- but that's hardly unusual.

However, the 996 has entered the "uncool" period of its lifespan. Not new enough to garner status. Not old enough to be interesting or unique.

Will it ever have the CACHÉ of a 993? Probably not. But I owned a 993 for several years and was happy to replace it with the 996....and am still pleased -- as the 996 is a much more enjoyable car with fewer compromises for the driver (more leg room, steering wheel is actually in the middle of the seat rather than offset, cheaper to maintain, etc.)

Eventually, the value of unmolested 996's will start to increase--and may even garner a following as the first water cooled 911. Given the numbers of them, the interest will be modest -- unless there becomes some mod, some future thing that can be done to the cars to skirt around tightening regulations.

But I welcome all the young guys who are heavily modifying their cars. You are hastening the day when it will be hard to find an original. I'm patient.

Quick Reply: The 996 legacy