Sponsored by:

A new coolant tank cap design?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Sherpa23
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine ends in ".00"

Is that one in need of immediate replacement? Sorry, new to Porsche ownership.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty Jones
Mine ends in ".00"

The "00" caps were known to attract beautiful women, and are therefore very collectible.

What I would suggest is replacing your original "00" cap with an "04" cap and then making a wristwatch out of the "00" cap - women will swoon whenever they see you and will always be asking you what time it is.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty Jones
Mine ends in ".00"

Because the caps are inexpensive to buy, it might make sense to have the latest and greatest cap available.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Smarty Jones,
Although your cap may be perfectly fine right now, and may be for some time to come, it is usually the first suspect when your temperature gauge starts to read higher than normal for a given known driving condition. What that indicates is that the system is not pressurized properly when the coolant is hot. If there are no puddles under the nose of the car (radiators) or gushing out from under the engine (water pump) then the cap is often the culprit. And most 996's are old enough now to need a new cap if you are still running a .00.

If your coolant expansion tank plastic is not pearly white and has a yellow or brown look, then that may need replacement soon as well (before the plastic cracks).

Both of these could almost be considered "Regular Maintenance" items based on the frequency of questions about these on this forum. There is no basic guideline that is mileage specific because of the extreme variations in potential climates in which the cars are owned, and the driving style of the driver.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

^+1
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Sherpa23
Track Day

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Smarty Jones,
Although your cap may be perfectly fine right now, and may be for some time to come, it is usually the first suspect when your temperature gauge starts to read higher than normal for a given known driving condition. What that indicates is that the system is not pressurized properly when the coolant is hot. If there are no puddles under the nose of the car (radiators) or gushing out from under the engine (water pump) then the cap is often the culprit. And most 996's are old enough now to need a new cap if you are still running a .00.

If your coolant expansion tank plastic is not pearly white and has a yellow or brown look, then that may need replacement soon as well (before the plastic cracks).

Both of these could almost be considered "Regular Maintenance" items based on the frequency of questions about these on this forum. There is no basic guideline that is mileage specific because of the extreme variations in potential climates in which the cars are owned, and the driving style of the driver.
Thank you. That's a great explanation. The coolant reservoir was replaced just prior to my purchase of the car two weeks ago. I know that these are dumb questions but I've never owned a Porsche before and even though I've owned (well, still do) Ferrari's, it's like a totally different world, mechanically. Thanks again. I will get .04. I guess that a new cap did not come with the new reservoir bottle.

VGM 911 - I'm taking that .00 cap, making a gold chain out of it and going to the clubs. I promise I will take pics of all the attractive women and post them back here. Can't wait.

Last edited by Sherpa23; 12-02-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Quick Reply: A new coolant tank cap design?