996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Engine Failure and Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good grief. The drama and histrionics in this thread is so overblown (pardon the pun) that some of you should be on Jerry Springer.

The M96 engine in it's factory form - is a perfectly reliable and capable track car. I do 6 to 8 track events a YEAR. On average there are 50 cars - of which 40 are M96 derived engine cars - and when I talk to the other drivers most of them are stock - as is mine. We drive these things for 5 hours or so flat out.

In the 3 years I've been doing it - about 20 events in total - I'VE NEVER HEARD OF AN ENGINE BLOWING UP DUE TO OIL STARVATION. I have seen people blow an AOS, blow a coolant hose - both of which shuts down the track for an hour or so while they clean the crap up.

SH*T HAPPENS and I'm sorry your car blew up on you Slicer and we'll never NEVER know if this would have been avoided if the car was kept stock, or the modification was done properly. SO the only conclusion I can come to is that the improper modification contributed to oil starvation.

As for the rest of you that are scared to track this car - your loss.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836

Personally I think the cars that are not driven everyday are the ones that have ims problems and that the cooling system is the weak point in these engines. It is so close to the edge of being at the maximum temperature that any problem in that area will cause a problem. These cars should be running 10 degrees cooler which would give the engine a much better chance of not overheating.
I had the LN low temp thermostat installed in my 3.4L 996. There cars run hotter than the 3.6s and this modest upgrade made a huge difference in both street and track use.
Highly recommended
The following users liked this post:
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Bottom line about the OP's car problem.

1. He bought an improperly modded abused car.

2. It blew up while on race track, starved for oil because of said modification / prior abuse.

3. He blames and hates the 996 now.

4. This makes no f#$@%ing sense.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:49 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Bottom line about the OP's car problem.

1. He bought an improperly modded abused car.

2. It blew up while on race track, starved for oil because of said modification / prior abuse.

3. He blames and hates the 996 now.

4. This makes no f#$@%ing sense.
/Thread
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

This is interesting reading.

part 4 and part 5
http://www.hartech.org/buyers.html
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I can understand being disappointed, but I think what you're really disappointed about is that Porsche changed. I, too, find it kind of sad that Porsche couldn't survive on the buyers who care about dry sump oiling, but that's the free market for you. That's why Porsche is such a different, and bigger, car company now. But they didn't conceal anything from you. They never advertised that the car had a dry sump when it didn't. Caveat emptor and all that, right?
Ah, but Porsche was sneaky - when the 996/M96 engine came out they called the new system: "Integrated Dry Sump", I still don't know what that means. Certainly doesn't perform like a dry sump.
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Ah, but Porsche was sneaky - when the 996/M96 engine came out they called the new system: "Integrated Dry Sump", I still don't know what that means. Certainly doesn't perform like a dry sump.
It means "High volume, wet sump" in my terms.
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always assumed that the "dry" part was simply that the cam lobes are not exposed to the sump, as the oil takeup area is isolated. Wet, they are, dry, it is pumped only. Integrated just means isolated, but still part of the main casting. Not sneaky IMHO, but as you said, the only real benefit to the 996 dry sump, is less susceptibility to splash frothing from the cams. The X51 oil system should have been standard. No one would be having this conversation if it was.
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
What can you expect when your oil pump is driven by a simplex chain thats smaller than a kid's bicycle and has a sprocket thats fixed with a single 6mm diameter fastener with nothing to index it?
That's a fairly standard design though, even the oil pump in ferrari v12s (ie enzo etc) use a chain and a shaft that's not keyed. Same thing for Audi V8s etc.
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

jumper,

The Hartech link was very good - thank you!
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM
lmsmith12
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slicer, I commend you for keeping your cool while under fire. Certainly not fair to you, especially when you are just trying help others avoid the same fate. I suffered an IMS failure on my engine and I cannot tell you how many times I have been told to “beat it” when recommending the LN upgrade to other M96 owners.

I find it amusing that there are countless posts on this 996 forum noting some form of catastrophic failure, and in nearly everyone of these “failure” posts you will find replies arguing how reliable these engines are. I completely and totally understand that you can find a “blown engine” post on every auto site out there, but it really is a shame that the 996 forum appears to trump them all. Numerous catastrophe posts and a 6-8 month wait at Flat 6, this is where the 996 forum does differ from the other (non M96/M97) forums. It just seems to pop up far too often and it is very frustrating as a 996 owner.

Curious, were you on the Big Willow Springs track or the Streets of Willow?
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM
GASGAZ
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this clip, get ready to turn the sound up, it amazes me the angles they require to simulate the forces generated on the fluids of an engine....
imagine hot oil sloshing around in this baby.

Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Pmuney
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on OP side. If for no other reason than I frequent this website. I recently bought a 2001 996 and it is my daily driver; I find myself checking for oil leaks, coolant leaks, and the sound of marbles everyday. I don't know many other vehicles that have this many CATASTROPHIC problems (Chrysler 300 maybe?). I wouldnt care if the crate engines were 7-8K, but now that they are 12-15K that's just crazy talk.
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmuney
I am on OP side. If for no other reason than I frequent this website. I recently bought a 2001 996 and it is my daily driver; I find myself checking for oil leaks, coolant leaks, and the sound of marbles everyday. I don't know many other vehicles that have this many CATASTROPHIC problems (Chrysler 300 maybe?). I wouldnt care if the crate engines were 7-8K, but now that they are 12-15K that's just crazy talk.
There is no "side" to this. The OP lost his engine tracking the car. The engine part that is most famous for being failure prone wasn't even involved in this incident. I think people would find this kind of conversation more productive if it was case specific rather than tossing it on to some kind of bandwagon whether it belongs on it or not.
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lmsmith12
Slicer, I commend you for keeping your cool while under fire. Certainly not fair to you, especially when you are just trying help others avoid the same fate. I suffered an IMS failure on my engine and I cannot tell you how many times I have been told to “beat it” when recommending the LN upgrade to other M96 owners.

I find it amusing that there are countless posts on this 996 forum noting some form of catastrophic failure, and in nearly everyone of these “failure” posts you will find replies arguing how reliable these engines are. I completely and totally understand that you can find a “blown engine” post on every auto site out there, but it really is a shame that the 996 forum appears to trump them all. Numerous catastrophe posts and a 6-8 month wait at Flat 6, this is where the 996 forum does differ from the other (non M96/M97) forums. It just seems to pop up far too often and it is very frustrating as a 996 owner.

Curious, were you on the Big Willow Springs track or the Streets of Willow?
Thank you for your support!
Insaty (07-21-2023)

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Failure and Lessons Learned