Sponsored by:

996 Engine Failure and Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lmsmith12
Slicer, I commend you for keeping your cool while under fire. Certainly not fair to you, especially when you are just trying help others avoid the same fate. I suffered an IMS failure on my engine and I cannot tell you how many times I have been told to “beat it” when recommending the LN upgrade to other M96 owners.
I must be missing something. I was pretty sure his intermediate shaft was just fine.
The following users liked this post:
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Please delete.
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roadsession
Good grief. The drama and histrionics in this thread is so overblown (pardon the pun) that some of you should be on Jerry Springer.

The M96 engine in it's factory form - is a perfectly reliable and capable track car. I do 6 to 8 track events a YEAR. On average there are 50 cars - of which 40 are M96 derived engine cars - and when I talk to the other drivers most of them are stock - as is mine. We drive these things for 5 hours or so flat out.

In the 3 years I've been doing it - about 20 events in total - I'VE NEVER HEARD OF AN ENGINE BLOWING UP DUE TO OIL STARVATION. I have seen people blow an AOS, blow a coolant hose - both of which shuts down the track for an hour or so while they clean the crap up.

SH*T HAPPENS and I'm sorry your car blew up on you Slicer and we'll never NEVER know if this would have been avoided if the car was kept stock, or the modification was done properly. SO the only conclusion I can come to is that the improper modification contributed to oil starvation.

As for the rest of you that are scared to track this car - your loss.
I'm glad to hear that there are many 996 owners that have had better luck than myself and the many customers of the shops that I contacted.

Originally Posted by roadsession
... and we'll never NEVER know if this would have been avoided if the car was kept stock, or the modification was done properly. SO the only conclusion I can come to is that the improper modification contributed to oil starvation......
Do you not see the irony in your statement? On one hand you say that we will Never know if this would have been avoided if the car were stock and other other hand you draw a definitive conclusion that it was due to the Deep Sump oil pan modification...

I have said this multiple times in this thread and I will now say it again - I have based my recommendations NOT ONLY on my personal experience BUT ALSO on the information that I gained from talking to the professionals who specialize in this engine. I spent hours of my time educating myself and graciously shared the info I learned. It's posts like yours that make me regret doing so.

Last edited by slicer; 11-16-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Bottom line about the OP's car problem.

1. He bought an improperly modded abused car.

2. It blew up while on race track, starved for oil because of said modification / prior abuse.

3. He blames and hates the 996 now.

4. This makes no f#$@%ing sense.
1 - To be fair I was not a big fan of the 996 prior to and during my ownership.
2 - I was quickly developing a love for it on the track prior to its demise.
3 - I love how you and others seem to have an intimate knowledge of how my car was driven by myself and the previous owner. Thereby giving you the ability to discredit everything I have shared / recommended.

It's posts like this that make me wish I would have never taken my time to share the info I learned.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BruceP
I must be missing something. I was pretty sure his intermediate shaft was just fine.
Yes my IMS was fine. I had upgraded it 6 months ago with an LN Engineering kit.

I think his point was that he was frustrated by the IMS design flaw and shares my dissatisfaction with the engine design based on that weakness.

An intersting thought: What if my upgraded IMS bearing would have failed during my incident? Would you all have been saying that the failure was due to "my improper modification"?

It get's to a point.... Even if my failure was 100% due to the "Deep Sump Kit" installed in my car by the previous owner (remember none of us are 100% sure that was the actual cause), why did the PO install the kit in the first place? The answer is: Due to the know oil starvation issue with this engine.

Please accept my apologies for sharing the information I learned.

Last edited by slicer; 11-16-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pmuney
I am on OP side. If for no other reason than I frequent this website. I recently bought a 2001 996 and it is my daily driver; I find myself checking for oil leaks, coolant leaks, and the sound of marbles everyday. I don't know many other vehicles that have this many CATASTROPHIC problems (Chrysler 300 maybe?). I wouldnt care if the crate engines were 7-8K, but now that they are 12-15K that's just crazy talk.
Actually the crate engine is now $22k + install.

Some people beleive that Porsche was subsidizing the engine cost in the past due to the frequent failures. I'm sure this statement will cause another freak out from some of the passionate posters on this thread....
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by slicer
Yes my IMS was fine. I had upgraded it 6 months ago with an LN Engineering kit.

I think his point was that he was frustrated by the IMS design flaw and shares my dissatisfaction with the engine design based on that weakness.
I get it. What makes me crazy is the frankly stupid tendency to lump every bad thing that happens to this engine into one meme. The intermediate shaft design was a mistake on Porsche's part. There is much else about this engine that's amazing. And your situation, in the absence of specific learning, needs to be treated as an interesting anomaly from which fellow trackies might learn something. I just don't get why people find that so hard.
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by slicer
Actually the crate engine is now $22k + install.

Some people beleive that Porsche was subsidizing the engine cost in the past due to the frequent failures. I'm sure this statement will cause another freak out from some of the passionate posters on this thread....
Or just maybe.. maybe... just maybe replacement engines were cheaper when they were still in production.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
lmsmith12
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes BruceP, we all know his IMS was fine. The point was that sometimes it’s not worth the effort trying to share what you have learned. Slicer wants to help people avoid oil starvation and I compared that to how I have tried to help people avoid IMS failures. Next thing you know you are on page 7 of an out of control post wondering how did you get here when you were just trying help?
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I, for one, thank you for taking the time. I'm sure many more read this, were glad to read it, just didn't comment. Don't take the comments personally, there is no reason to. Seriously, $22k + install now....WOOF! Now I see why Jake says he's got to raise his prices...

I'm curious, does anyone know if a crate 993 engine can still be bought?
Insaty (07-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

I get it. What makes me crazy is the frankly stupid tendency to lump every bad thing that happens to this engine into one meme. The intermediate shaft design was a mistake on Porsche's part. There is much else about this engine that's amazing. And your situation, in the absence of specific learning, needs to be treated as an interesting anomaly from which fellow trackies might learn something. I just don't get why people find that so hard.
My initial motivation for my post was to help others understand the risks / potential weaknesses associated with the engine. My hope was that folks would use that info to:

1 - educate themselves on possible upgrades to consider prior to tracking
2 - understand the risks of tracking the car
3 - understand the risks of owning a M96
4 - know what problems and/or warning signs to look out for

The thread has somewhat turned into me defending my situation and perspective on the car. It's true that I'm not a fan of the 996. I have had a bad experience with it. I spent a week hating Porsche as a whole. After I reflected on things and cooled off, I have limited my dislike to the M96 motor. Obviously I have not completely given up on the brand considering I have a Cayman in route....
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perryinva
I, for one, thank you for taking the time. I'm sure many more read this, were glad to read it, just didn't comment. Don't take the comments personally, there is no reason to. Seriously, $22k + install now....WOOF! Now I see why Jake says he's got to raise his prices...

I'm curious, does anyone know if a crate 993 engine can still be bought?
Thank you and you are welcome.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Slicer for bringing this oil starvation topic up. Only 7 months in the PCar world, I hadn't had the chance to get educated on this topic yet. You made it happen, warts and all: I'm grateful!
Some other OPs like you had to suffer the same fate as you just did on the IMS bearing issue but, in the end, they also were highly instrumental in educating folks like me on some of the peculiarities of the M96. They suffered the philosophers, but in the end, we all gained as a group of spirited Porsche drivers.
It is all good and never take it personally!
Enjoy your upcoming ride, you and your wife deserve it!
Bonne chance, mon ami!
Martin
Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by lmsmith12
Yes BruceP, we all know his IMS was fine. The point was that sometimes it’s not worth the effort trying to share what you have learned. Slicer wants to help people avoid oil starvation and I compared that to how I have tried to help people avoid IMS failures. Next thing you know you are on page 7 of an out of control post wondering how did you get here when you were just trying help?
IIRC, two of his four "recommendations" were to avoid the M96 engine, and a reference to intermediate shaft bearing failures. Neither of these were valid "learning", neither of these were particularly "helpful."
Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Redbarn
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the failure Mate, good luck with your new Porsce. I'd be interested in what you think in comparison to the 911.

Cheers
Rob

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Failure and Lessons Learned